• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Gnnr.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Crown Race tools
  • ononeorange

I’m coming up for swapping some forks around, and am fed up with having to take them to the LBS to have crown races removed / fitted, so I’m thinking of getting the tools to the job myself.

Anyone used these tools / got any recommendations?

Cheers

GolfChick
    Free Member

i use a piece of plasic pipe for installation, been cut flat and is the perfect diameter to go over the forks but stil on the crown race…. was free too.

ononeorange

Thanks – what size pipe did you use?

seven
    Free Member

I use the plastic pipe for fitting and one of these for removal Ice Tool CR Remover
    It’s really rather good and makes it much easier that the old screwdiver method

ononeorange

Thanks – I was thinking along those lines – cheers for the confirmation.

UK-FLATLANDER

The Cyclus fitting tool works fine and is not too expensive

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the crown race in boiling water – makes it go on easier.

I have never had any issue removing them with a screwdriver

retrogression
    Free Member

I do a similar thing to TJ but I heat the race with a blowtorch. Not too much mind otherwise it gets too hot and discolours and isn’t good for the structure of the metal I imagine. But after heating I pick it up between thumb and forefinger using a very big pair of welding gauntlets and place it on. Don’t just drop it over the tube because it will end up very crooked on the steerer and you’ll have to knock it off as it will cool quickly. Works like a dream. Not recommended for carbon steerers!

forge197
    Free Member

I bought one on these (not from here but this is an example) http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=14647

I used it the other day for the first time it was excellent wish I’d got one sooner would have saved a heap of faff.

retrogression
    Free Member

I saw that on cyclestore the other day, you’ve reminded me. It’s a bearing separator. Perfect application of an existing tool.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I bodged a crown race removal “tool” with some garden shears, some cable ties and hammer. Worked well.

theotherjonv

standard plumbing waste pipe for putting on.

A kitchen knife blade on for the removal, the bevel is just perfect to ease it up far enough and then tap it off with a screwdriver

epicyclo

Get a Hope headset with the split crown race locator.

Get a few spare crown race locators, problem solved. I use Hope headsets exclusively now because I like swapping forks (even though I have the tools).

takisawa2

THIS is a simmillar tool to the Ice Tools one, but a nit cheaper.

CountZero

Kitchen waste pipe for installation, or a really thick cardboard tube from a roll of pallet wrap cling film. Exactly the right diameter, and around five mill thick. I use a screwdriver for removal, but one that has the corners rounded off so there’s no gouging of the alloy.

jeb

takisawa2, that tool you found on ebay, will that could remove a crown race, how ?, it really looks odd !!!

anlegov
    Free Member

I can see how it might work, but I am wondering, takisawa2, has it got the right sort of edge to lift the crown race?

Gnnr

I have one of those HILKA tools from the bay. It worked fine. Best fiver I’ve spent in a while.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Crown Race tools’ is closed to new replies.