Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Crown race help.
  • chip
    Free Member

I have two bikes, one has a standard 1-1/8 headtube one 44mm headtube, both with 1-1/8 straight steerer forks, both with hope headsets.

I would like to swap the forks over without swapping over the crown races.
    I am pretty sure the races are the same on both the standard 1-1/8 headset and the 44mm integrated 1-1/8 headset as I can only see hope races sold in two options 1.5 and 1-1/8 and no other variations of.

But the standard headset and it’s race is about 18 months old and the integrated and race is practically brand new.
    So would it be fine to use the new headset with the old race and vice versa or am I better off swapping the races so they stay with there original bearings and headset.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Hope races just pull off due to the slot, no messing around with pullers or drifts.

chip
    Free Member

Ok thanks, will probably remove and give everything a good clean and re grease before swapping them over.

RustyMac

I’d just use the same race with both headsets.
    If you have one with a seal and one without the. Use the one with the seal.

It would be good practice to ensure it is clean prior to installing in a different headset.

neilwheel
    Free Member

No bother.

No better opportunity for a service.

In theory there should be no wear on the cups and races as the moving parts are all within the bearings.

It is good practice to keep items like this together in their sets, and as it’s so easy there’s no reason not to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Crown race help.’ is closed to new replies.