Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crowd funded lunar lander – eh?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Why?
    Am I missing something or is sending a bit of your hair or some dodgy music choice up to a barren lump of rock rather pointless.
    Is this another case of doing it just because you might be able to rather than because it’s a good idea?

“I really hope that it has the same effect as Rosetta that so gripped the world,” said Prof Monica Grady, of the Open University

Hmmm.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Many things are pointless, encouraging the public to take an active interest in science and exploring new ways to finance it is not top of that list.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Or we could just sit around doing nothing and never get any nearer to knowing what the universe is all about. If you aren’t curious then fair enough but most people with a hint of intelligence, would like to know more. IMVHO of course 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

I heard the story on the news this morning and my first thought was that it’ll never happen but that someone might be able to get enough cash to fund their lifestyle for a few years before quietly shutting the project down. I don’t know the background of the consortium though so perhaps I’m just a cynic!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Am I missing something or is sending a bit of your hair or some dodgy music choice up to a barren lump of rock rather pointless.

I think it’s just data? If it’s not then surely there’s ethical/scientific issues that would make sending biological matter to the moon a bit stupid?

Newsflash sometime in the future: “ohh look, we’ve found bacterial life on the moon!”, “ohhh, wait no”, “it’s just more middle class bogey sent up from that crowd funded project 100 years ago”

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m all for this, remember that Colin Pillinger wasn’t above sending Blur tracks and flakes of Ferrari paint to Mars in order to source funding for Beagle 2.

I’d rather it was a “proper” UK government funded project but if it adds to the sum total of human knowledge then it’s better than nothing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I should have worded it better. I’m all for space exploration, especially using drones/robots, but this seems a bit feeble seeing as mankind was wandering around the moon 40 years ago. Surely if there was some potential for inhabiting the moon it would have been investigated years ago?
    This being the case, why not find something a bit more exciting/worthwhile?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

why not find something a bit more exciting/worthwhile?

I thought it was more to do with figuring out what the moon was made up of under the surface, and therefore what the earth was made up of when it was formed?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Lunar Mission One aims to survey the Moon’s south pole to see if a human base can be set up in the future.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I like the idea that a part of me is not here on earth. On a satellite. I dont know why. I suspect it will meet its kick starter target. I also agree, its time the governments of the world got their act together and did something more about exploring our galaxy.

perhaps the data I send up should be that the stinking Hovel that is the Broadway Hotel in Blackpool is fact? Best to let the aliens know before they get ripped off.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is awesome. Also, putting a sustainable colony beyond Earth gravity is an important step in getting further. A large spacecraft would need to be built off Earth I suspect.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crowd funded lunar lander – eh?’ is closed to new replies.