• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Crossmax or Hope??
  • somouk
    Free Member

Evening All,

Just wondering if the Crossmax ST wheels are really worth the extra cash over a set of hope hoops?

I’m a heavy rider but I don’t ride the gnarrest of stuff so would probably look at Pro 2’s on Crests or the Mavic ST wheels.

Cheers,
    Mart

jedi

loving my crossmax!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really rate my hope hoops. You can’t really go wrong with either but I love the fact that should I bugger up my hoops, hope will sort the hubs and spokes/rims are off the shelf.

By the way, if you’re a big fella (like me) then consider the flow rim.

Northwind

Is Crest comparable with ST really? ST is a pretty tough wheelset, slightly skinny is all. Crest is strong for what it is but I wouldn’t expect it to stand up to the same. Arch Ex more the thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 for Hope service, warranty and being able to get spokes in any bike shop

tall_martin

I’ve got a set of crossmax xl (from 2005) and a hope/519 set. The crossmax’s are noticeably lighter but are now a pain in the bum to get bits for.Eg phoning round loads of local shops and one has a random selection of spokes for them.

Having said that the crossmax’s have only broken one spoke and had one set of bearings in that time:)

chakaping
    Free Member

Anybody know if the 2012 Crossmax ST is compatible with 20mm front hubs?

Some info online suggests yes, but most sites don’t list it.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Mavic ST wheel info

looks like you can have QR 20mm and 15mm up front, and QR 135×12 and 142×12 rear

mandog

Hope’s win if you ever need to get them repaired. Mavic wheel sets are a pain to get parts for.

sputnik
    Free Member

Pair of Mavic ST’s in the classifieds for £230
    AD

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Handbuilt wheels every time for me, no question

jedi

i have both st and sx and they work for any hub up front and 142/135 rear = winner. when i trashed one it got replaced in 2 days!

mafiafish
    Free Member

One thing I like about mavic rims is that they stay the same shape for a long time. I haven’t had that luxury with the stans, pacenti and bontrager rims I’ve used. But they are dreadfully narrow.

jedi
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax or Hope??’ is closed to new replies.