Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Crossfit?
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone done it or does it? How does it compare to normal cardio and normal weight training?
    Thinking of starting to go a few times a week

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It’s a cult with bad form.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNvXZ7p7Z8E[/video]

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/xyil4IGAvVs[/video]

fisha
    Free Member

To me crossfit is to gym as pouting is to selfie. Seems you cannae do cross fit without posting your efforts online incessantly.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’s like being a Vegan..
    You have to tell ‘everyone’ about it..

SamB
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/qnjYyfkcaNI[/video]

batfink
    Free Member

I had a go…… vomited afterwards.

My finding was: not really scalable. If you’re pretty fit already it’s probably great.

dovebiker

The best way to learn bad technique…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Is it simliar to crossdress?

wrecker
    Free Member

I would suggest going down and trying it. There are good and bad CF gyms and instructors. You get a good one and it is a great workout and good fun. Get a bad one, it’ll be horrendously competitive and you’ll break yourself quickly.
    Do some research on the coach, see how long they have been in the industry. If they have just gone and done the 2-3 day CF instructor course and not much more; AVOID!!!!

fourbanger
    Free Member

My wife was well into. Good bunch at the Frankfurt box she went to, but definitely culty.
    I think that doing complex relatively high weight lifting moves against the clock can only lead to poor technique. Fundamentally dangerous if you’re competitive. And don’t get me started on the “pull ups” lol.
    Pretty sure there was a high percentage exercise bulimia as the eating was as competitive as the exercise.
    Good results though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Crossfit? still waiting for the holy trinity of a Fat bike riding crossfitting vegan…

MSP

What stopped me from joining a crossfit box(gym)was the cost for what I wanted, 1 or 2 workouts a week to support mountain biking, I do think that crossfit training would be really good for that.

I think it is important or at leasts helps to know your way around a gym already, know your limits and be able to train within them (asuming the trainer doesn’t keep an eye on you). But that is probably true of most gyms, certainly the ones I have been a member of, after an initial assessment there is little interaction with the staff, and they are not going round advising the customers on their form or workouts.

I am looking at starting to apply some crossfit type stuff into my workouts, as I said above I think a lot of the movements they do and the variety would be really supportive of mountain biking.

The cult seems to be to instantly criticise crossfit without ever trying it or having any knowledge of it (other than bro science). I have never tried it either, I think it would be good if done right, and not if done badly, so pretty much like everything else in life.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

If your into cheating pullups and wrecking your joints it’s spot on, bit too pricey for me as i would like to rock up and show em how to do 45 pullups without kipping.
    I see looking after yourself as three components, Diet, strength and endurance.
    Diet is simple, don’t eat crap, strength is picking up heavy stuff, deadlift, squat, weighted dips and weighted pullups, endurance is time out with mates on the bike, simples.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The cult seems to be to instantly criticise crossfit without ever trying it or having any knowledge of it

I would respectfully disagree.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If the type of workout appeals but the other stuff doesn’t have a look around for functional strength classes.

footflaps

I train in a Crossfit gym, although don’t really do CF workouts.

It gets a lot of stick for no real reason as far as I can see. Like all gyms, some have good instructors and some have bad. You’ll see more bad form in chain gyms where 99% train unsupervised.

In the box I go to, if anyone is showing bad form, someone stops them and points it out, even if you’re not in a class and just training solo.

Most of the high intensity / high rep stuff is done with light weights (relative to 1 RM for that person), so even if form does dip a bit at the end of a set, the risk of injury is very low as the weight is relatively light for that person.

Personally I’ve enjoyed it, I’ve learnt quite a few new skills and improved technique on my Olympic lifts.

A typical class would be 5 min warm up, 20 min skill session, tightly supervised, honing good form, then either one or two blocks of activity, which will vary depending on the class, then a 5 min warm down at the end. Strength classes would have a weight lifting based activity e.g. 15 mins to establish technical 3 rep max Deadlift, then 15 mins to establish 1RM Clean and Jerk. ‘Crossfit’ classes would be more a circuit style thing. All the classes are part of a programme which runs in a cycle aimed at developing a skill / strength in 8/10 week blocks, so if you do the same class each week you should improve in that skill set. Everything is measured once every block to gauge progress for each participant.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I go twice a week on the basis it’s the only class that’s on that suits my other commitments. It replaced a circuits class and is mcg the same. I enjoy it certainly don’t take it seriously. They could put another class on (I sometimes go to grit if I’m free) and I’d still go as that’s the time I can go.

A few of the blokes wear bright vests and do a selfie after and a few hash tags. Not into that part.

dovebiker

Have a chuckle at the cross-fitters doing pull-ups like a demented worm, IMO a pull-up means overhand grip and chin over the bar, not half-way. I let them do their demented reps, casually do a dead-hang and do 15-20 with no wriggles, stop for a bit, repeat. I’m 51….mind you not attempted a 1-arm dead hang pull-up for a while (ex-rock climber)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Crossfit?’ is closed to new replies.