Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • CrossClimates on 4×4 estate ?
  • iainc

My car has about 15k miles on it and the original Michelin Primacy OE tyres have about 4mm of tread left allround. I’m guessing they will need changing in a few months, as I do around 1700 miles a month.

When I replace I’ll be getting CrossClimates on it, probably from Blackcircles. This will be around £600 based on initial research.

West of Scotland and high frosty area that does get a bit more of the white stuff than much of the rest of the Central Belt. I have only driven it in the snow once, when it was days old, early March, and the current tyres were new. At that time it was pretty surefooted. I’m guessing it will be a fair bit less grippy now, even with Quattro, so, change to CrossClimates now, or eek another few months out the current ones ?

I’m assuming CrossClimates wil be the dogs danglies in typical conditions, including frost and snow….

yosemitepaul

Good luck in finding some. Michelin have run out, Blackcircles have a few odd sizes left, Oponeo similarly.
    You may find it easier going to your local tyre fitter!
    I speak from the experience of trying to find some last week.

iainc

I can get them this week at local fitter, through BlackCircles. Just wondering whether to hit the button or hold off till the NewYear…

beej

Got some on Friday for my S3. Feeling smug today. I had about 2.5mm of tread and thought I might as well change now.

(From local tyre place, same price as Black Circles)

jam-bo

Got a set on my a3 Quattro. Itching for some snow but so far apart from a couple of light dustings dartmoor has disappointed so far.

Had some pretty cold wet conditions though and it all seems pretty stable.

iainc

I have done the sensible thing and ordered them, through Blackcircles, fitted by local place, this Thursday. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Murray

I’ve got some on my A3 Quattro. Good in the snow today and quieter than proper all conditions tyres. Probably not as good as my wife’s winter tyres but they’re still in the back of the garage 🙁

iainc

What are they like for longevity ? Mine will be on an A6 2.0D Avant Quattro, I don’t drive fast or daft.

angeldust
    Free Member

Last time I ordered via black circles the local place told me to go to them direct next time as it would be cheaper! Anyone else had this?

angeldust
    Free Member

Last time I ordered via black circles the local place told me to go to them direct next time as it would be cheaper! Anyone else had this?

orangewinger
    Free Member

I have them on my Legacy and tries them in the snow for the first time today and I was a bit disappointed. Admittedly the snow was very wet and slushy but I didn’t feel massively stable. I guess they’re not true winter tyres so I shouldn’t expect too much.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you regularly get snow then get something more biased towards snowy conditions, like Vredestein Quatracs or Nokian All Weather.
    I’ve had the Quatracs in the snow and they’re OK, but haven’t needed the Nokians’ snow plugging ability yet. They do though get in the top three of “proper” winter tyre tests and are more than adequate for year round use.

Both would be a night and day improvement over the Primacies in any foul conditions.

iainc

^^^^ don’t really get enough to merit those tyres IMO. I’m hoping that the CrossClimates and 4wd will be good enough for my needs. TBH the more likely getting stuck scenario will be other vehicles anyway…

Murray

Longevity seems fine. They’re as good as Quadtracs, if you want more grip get full winter tyres.

Kryton57

Last time I ordered via black circles the local place told me to go to them direct next time as it would be cheaper! Anyone else had this

I was told the same, due to a margin applied by BC. Did 2 Pirelli Scorpion All seasons for me £9 cheaper a corner.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I haven’t found black circles particularly cheap recently – most indy tyres places and the big chains (Kwit fit, etc) have been cheaper for me.

Markie
    Free Member

Running round on my Cross Climate Pluses today I found them to be pretty solid. Not as planted as my Conti 850s were, natch, but good enough that I feel having them on is the right choice for me.

jimjam
    Free Member

I noticed the braking performance of those Michelin Primacy went off very rapidly towards the end of their life so new boots this time of year is probably a good idea. I automatically think of climbing and cornering grip when it comes to adverse conditions but braking is obviously important too. No doubt new all seasons will be superior to well worn all summer tyres in that respect.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Snow socks are a much better solution for when it snows

winston
    Free Member

Snowsocks are great in proper deep snow but useless in anything else.

As far as longevity goes, my R17 Crossclimates are on
    22k and down to 3-4mm. They also seem to have almost doubled in price since I bought the last set 18m ago

aP
    Free Member

I just ordered mine through my local tyre place. Admittedly I know the owner, but all that means is I text him and he lets me know when to turn up. Was about £600 for 4 which was slightly better that online prices.
    In the snowpocalypse in west London/ Surrey today they felt absolutely fine 😉

iainc

^^^ I looked around at pricing, they were a bit over £600 for four, fitted, everywhere I looked.

jam-bo

Got mine for £380 8)

iainc

That sound a bargain if a regular size !

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Go for it. And do it now – once snow hits proper (which is starting just now) you might not find any.

We live just outside of Edinburgh and get much colder, icier and snowier than the city. Nokian weatherproofs seems to do the job on my 4×4, crossclimates are meant to be very similar.

Snow socks are a much better solution for when it snows

Fine for getting out of your street, not for general driving.

Edukator
    Free Member

Snow socks aren’t as good as Winter tyres for grip on snow, Funkydunk (check out Youtube comparisons). Winter tyres with chains are the best for deeper snow – and a car with plenty of ground clearance which is none of the Audis quoted above.

iainc

^^^ thanks, ordered and being fitted later this week, we are in East Kilbride, the Tundra of the West 🙂

Have snow socks, one pair unused and in the classifieds and other set kept in waiting for wife’s car, but as you say good for short distances only.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have Nokian snow specific tyres (forget what) on the Prius, and WR G2s on the Passat which are billed as more of a slush tyre. So we took the Prius out today in the snow and it failed to get up the hill to my sister’s. Rather than packed smooth snow it was very dense slippy snow on top of slush.

I’m thinking that outright snow performance isn’t such a benefit in the UK, since even when it’s snowy, it’s not snow like in most cold places.

beej

Winter tyres with chains are the best for deeper snow – and a car with plenty of ground clearance which is none of the Audis quoted above.

But with enough power you can play snowplough!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSxOvJnE68[/video]

Thankfully snow deeper than about 3″ is rare in the wilds of Berkshire.

iainc

i suspect my 190bhp diesel estate would fare slightly less well, even with the new tyres 😀

andyl
    Free Member

i miss my Nokian WRG2’s. They did let me down once though trying to climb a north facing icy slope at Stourhead. Took me 3 attempts to get up. To be fair the gun dog trainer we were meeting couldnt believe we had got up the hill from that direction in a 2wd hatchback 😀

Running Michelin Latitude Cross’s on the freelander. Only M&S rated, not 3 peak so not going to be chucking it around like I used to my Nokians. They are very much an all year AT tyre that is good on the road.

Fancied some cross climates but they don’t do them in my size and I want to keep the nice wheels all year round. Would get some smaller wheels for winter specific tyres according the the manufacturer recommendation.

benz
    Free Member

Mrs B runs Cross Climates on her auto X1 diesel.

They are fine in the snow but having swapped across to her winter wheels and tyre combo yesterday (Gumtree buy) the cheapo Nankang sv2 snow tyres are better on the snow and ice here at the moment.

But…the Nankangs are not so good in the wet or dry….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Fine for getting out of your street, not for general driving.

Ive done 20 miles with them on a BMW 3 series. I wouldn’t want to go over 50kph in any vehicle on uk roads if they are covered in snow (well ok I would but only in someone else’s car if I didn’t have to pay for damage)

Snow socks aren’t as good as Winter tyres for grip on snow, Funkydunk (check out Youtube comparisons). Winter tyres with chains are the best for deeper snow

I’m talking about English ‘snow’ conditions here. No need to buy snow tyres for the one day a year it snows enough to use them. Totally get your point if you live in Norway/ alpine resort

iainc

^^^^ agree, hence why I’m asking about CrossClimates. They will be staying on the car all year round, west of Scotland. Average temperature for half the year probably sub 10, rest sub 15 !

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’m talking about English ‘snow’ conditions here. No need to buy snow tyres for the one day a year it snows enough to use them. Totally get your point if you live in Norway/ alpine resort

Here we go again…

nickfrog
    Free Member

I know you’re not serious and you have a confirmation bias for your snow socks but I’ll bite. We are not talking about snow tyres here but all-season tyres or winter tyres. Neither are particularly optimised for snow, they are optimised for winter including the UK’s winter. There is a clue in the name.

Kryton57

Serious question; thersa gazillion videos out there claiming BMW Xdrive is vastly inferior to Audi’s quattro system – any truth in this?

onandon
    Free Member

Winter tyres, snow tyres and cross climates are totally different.
    Snow socks are pretty pants and you cant drive on tarmac with them or they will be destroyed very quickly. crossclimates are good because they are a jack of all trades and do a pretty good job at everything unless severe conditions.

Snow tyres aren’t needed in the uk but winter tyres are a good idea.

Here in Geneva on Friday night we went to the supermarket at around 6pm. By the time we came out at 7-30pm there had been about 6 inches of snow.

No problems, everyone just drove as normal with their winter tyres and no drama.
    If that happened in the uk there would be mayhem.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Probably not as good as my wife’s winter tyres

and tries them in the snow for the first time today and I was a bit disappointed.

if you want more grip get full winter tyres.

Nankang sv2 snow tyres are better on the snow and ice here at the moment.

Did you not read anyone’s comments nickfrog? I’m sure some may feel that all season tyres give them fractionally more grip, but for snow, living in England I will stick to snow socks for the 1 day a year of snow

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Serious question; thersa gazillion videos out there claiming BMW Xdrive is vastly inferior to Audi’s quattro system – any truth in this?

Makes F all difference without the right tyres. Do X drive or quattro help your braking?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘CrossClimates on 4×4 estate ?’ is closed to new replies.