Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Cross tyre for on and off road? Also SS ratios?
  • el_boufador

Hello,
    I like extending my commute on the technical local trails in the summer on the MTB. However in the winter it gets too muddy on most of the commutable trails to do too often – coming into work / home caked in crap gets a bit wearing.
    So, I was thinking about lightly crossifying my mudguarded-up road bike and taking in some easier trails on the commute – a mix of fire road, towpath, road, bike lanes – that sort of thing.

So, anyone have any recommendations for a cross tyre that would fit the bill?

Needs to
    * be fast rolling on the road (can’t be arsed swapping tyres continually)
    * have OK grip both on and off road (not bothered about pushing the limits on either).
    * have decent puncture resistance
    * be cheap as possible (don’t want to spend a wadge on tyres only to decide I want to go back to slicks.)

I’m also not particularly concerned about performance in mud, as I will be avoiding that and going on mostly well surfaced trails

Also I have just singlespeeded the roadbike – which I like and I will keep it that way. But what ratio for the mixed terrin? (I’m liking 46×16 for the road.)

ourmaninthenorth

I posted in the last week-ish about SS CX, so there may be some useful info there. On blackberry now, so can’t easily search for it.

FWIW you need to ensure the brakes will allow you to fit a decent sized tyre. I’m waiting for some 32c Schwalbes from thisisnotaspoon off here, which should fit through the old school single pivot brakes of my aged Holdsworth.

Ratio wise, I currently run the bike 44×16 fixed, so will try 44×18 with a freewheel for a combination of road and easy offroad. Once I get the tyres and freewheel, I’ll let you know how I get on..!

OMITN

firestarter
    Free Member

I ride off road on the cx 42-18 and 38-16 (think its about the same , feels it anyway lol ) its fine for all thing. I also use land cruisers heavy but tick all your boxes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Cross tyre for on and off road? Also SS ratios?’ is closed to new replies.