Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cross training questions
  • menothim
    Free Member

Posting in the bike forum, as I want to do cross training over the winter to get better on the bike.

My questions:
    1. What cross training (from pilates to boxing) do you do?
    2. What bike benefits do you feel you get?
    3. If you didn’t do what you do, what would you do?
    4. Do you have fun with it?

😀

eastdll
    Free Member

1. Crossfit and yoga
    2. Strength and mobility. Hopefully more muscle around shoulders and arms will have a better chance of keeping me together in any crashes. Strength in core/trunk reduces back fatigue on long rides. Joint mobility keeps me feeling fresher for riding.
    3. Circuit classes or bodyweight strength training (pushups, squats, lunges etc.)
    4. Yeah. I find it relaxing and has de-stressing benefits. Like lifting heavy sh** to release aggression.

BoardinBob

Hunners of squats and deadlifts

Boxing, muay thai and jits when I can squeeze in a session

jam-bo

1: go surfing
    2: none, but its fun
    3: cry
    4: mostly.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Running. Goal isn’t particularly to get “better” on the bike but it’s a more pleasant and convenient way of keeping fit when the weather is iffy and I enjoy it in its own right.

Does seem to be keeping me reasonably bike-fit though, a tougher winter/spring of running must have been part of the reason how I took a minute off my 10 mile (cycling) TT PB on the local course this summer.

It’s not the perfect bike training but I’m sure the cross-benefits are pretty large for typical amateur enthusiasts.

qtip

Like thecaptain, running is the only cross-training I currently do, including as much trail running as possible.

Direct applicability to cycling is probably pretty minimal but it helps to keep my weight down (more so than just cycling), and definitely improves my aerobic fitness. Also helps to stop loads of cycling from deteriorating bone density.

One of the best things for me about running is how easy it is to fit in around a busy life. I’ve previously done bike-specific weight training (following the exercises and plan in Joe Friel’s Mountain Biking Bible). This definitely improved my cycling fitness, especially climbing, but I find it impossible to find the time to get to a gym these days without sacrificing cycling itself.

I’d far rather be outdoors (whether running or on the bike), even in crap weather, than sweating away in a gym.

sb88
    Free Member

It’s still cycling, butt, enter CX races… They’re brutal in themselves and the prospect of coming last at the weekend forces you to go out for short, hard rides as long slow miles don’t cut the mustard. For extra nastiness, train on a single speed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Running

Far less hassle than biking, and you will get fitter than you were before.

nickc

1, running and rollers
    2. aerobic fitness (in my head at least)
    3. nuttin probs
    4. running I love, I’m not fast, and ‘proper’ runners would scoff at what I call running (not aiming to improve, not racing) rollers I hate with a passion that can only be spoken of through gritted teeth, I’ve no idea why I actually do it, but I do, and there’s all to be said on the matter.

JAG

1) Body weight exercises (push-ups, chin-ups, sit-ups, squat-thrusts) and some weight lifting (at home)
    2) Makes me stronger and tougher; relieves upper body aches and pains, relieves lower back pain and improves core strength etc…
    3) No idea!
    4) I enjoy the way I feel afterwards – but actual training is hard work and makes me ache 😆 8)

MSP

We have a gym at the office now, not a great one but with most of what I need, so at the moment my regime is.

Tue morning, weights lower body
    Wed Morning, Treadmill 30-40 mins intervals, evening turbos session (sufferfest)
    Thurs morning, weights upper body
    Saturday, long run (over an hour building up to 2+ hours over winter)
    Sunday, long ride (around 3 hours again extending over winter) trying to keep my heart rate down and building a traditional base.

I have been doing this about 5 weeks now and hope to continue until spring, I find that working out in the mornings before work I am much less likely to fob the session off because I feel a bit tired or had a stressful day. If the weather is bad I will be replacing my weeekend sessions with something in the gym.

Non at the moment, in fact the weight training leaves me a bit wiped out, as winter progresses I will have to stop pushing the weight higher.

I would do crossfit,

I do enjoy pushing myself physically, but it isn’t fun lime mountain biking, hopefully be next spring my fitness will have taken a big step forward and all outdoor sports will be a lot more fun because of it.

RCboy
    Free Member

My week, though I do miss the odd session so have about three to four days off a month is:-

Mon – Weights – Deadlifts, back & Biceps
    Tues – Run or Bike – more inclined to run if wet
    Weds – Weights – Chest and Tri’s
    Thurs – slower run for an hour and a half or so with local running group
    Friday – Weights – short shoulder session & some core
    Sat – Run (faster longer run or short very fast)
    Sun – Bike (ideally off road and fun orientated)

Bike benefits – not sure as I’ve only been back biking for five months but getting the combination of biking and running is improving both sports. Gym is just so I don’t look so fat.

Used to rock climb lots, training / climbing most days stopped a year ago so could always go back to it but highly unlikely.

I love being out on the bike and running and tolerate the gym for the benefits.

Yak

Yoga
    Stronger core, less injuries
    Nothing
    Yes

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Rowing on a Concept2. Not a winter thing, but I do it when I’m away with work for 5/6 weeks at a time. Usually follow the Pete Plan. I do weight train or currently just bodyweight exercises as well (home or away)

It maintains most of my aerobic fitness and adds strength and power.

I don’t know 😀

Not much. The rowing gets pretty hard if I push myself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) Not enough
    2) I should be fitter
    3) Ride my bike more
    4) I have fun riding my bike.

On a serious note I go dinghy racing but that works better the other way around. Cycling fitness transfers to saiing very well, sailing to cycling less so, maybe it would help with Enduro or DH but it’s not consistent enough to really count on as training. i.e. the cycling really helps with sailing on a windy day, but there aren’t enough big days to make sailing good for cycling.

I used to find swimming quite good for developing FTP cardio fitness, and combined with riding off road (singlespeed mostly) to build/keep leg strength gave a good balance when I got back on the road bike. 2x20minutes FTP in the pool is hard work, but isn’t as draining as 2×20 on the road so you can do it before work and not be a zombie all day.

I have (in the loft somewhere now) one of those suspension trainers that loops over a closed door (a cheap one off ebay not the branded TRX ones). That, resistance bands, a gym ball (plus pump), and wobble board/cushion are really good as a traveling exercise kit. Kept me sane whilst watching Netflix away from home, and despite the low-ish resistances they can leave you really sore!

But really, just buy/build/convert to a singlespeed and ride all winter is by far the most fun way to do it. With Putoline on the chain and sintered pads I can almost get through a winter without having to wash my bike and only a few maintenance evenings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cross training questions’ is closed to new replies.