• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Leon.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cross disc forks 1 1/8" STRAIGHT steerer (yawn)
  • Leon
    Free Member

Ok, I know this has been done before, but I didn’t find a recent thread.

I want to replace the forks on my cross bike to some disc only ones, but I’ve got a straight 1 1/8″ steerer.

Most of the stuff I can find is either heavy (>600g), or for tapered steerer. I can’t find any light forks (~500g) with a disc mount for straight steerer, not even silly money ones.

So, anyone know of anything, and if not, got any experience of the Kinesis DC37 which seems about my best option at the moment (still lighter than my current forks)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I looked a while ago and found the same story.

I think lightweight disc forks have bypassed 1 1/8″ innit.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – I was gonna suggest the DC37. I have the (earlier) DC19 on my cross/tourer and it has been sound.

Leon
    Free Member

I just found this:
    http://www.trigon-cycles.co.uk/trigon-xc06a-2012-carbon-disc-fork

somehow didn’t find it when I spent ages looking last night. A bit too much money, but it’s the right thing. However, it’s only 30-40g lighter than the Kinesis, and double the cost.

Thing is, on-one were very forward thinking, so I have a nice Titanium cross bike set up for disks. Seems a shame to get rid of it.

Leon
    Free Member

actually, 405mm could be a bit long.

this is what I have right now, and they’re pretty good, but overall my bike is a bit heavy since I disc’d it up.

teadrinker
    Free Member

This is a subject I know nothing about but I have some Cotic Carbon forks on my roadrat with discs. No idea on weight but maybe worth giving them a shout? If this proves pointless information then apologies but hope you find what you need 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Too long/too heavy?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Trigon are the only full carbon disc fork in 1 1/8 that I know of. I have some, same as Leons link, but I’m pretty sure they came in lighter than 595g… can’t recall exactly how much but 550ish rings a bell…

That On One fork is too long. You need <405mm C2A really.

jordangbbns
    Free Member

I guess you won’t find many as disk brakes + narrow carbon steerers tend towards being flexy and give brake judder.

These ones are real nice:

http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/forks/

myheadsashed

Tim@ Sideways does the Spot ones they look very nice……… Must resist 😳

STATO
    Free Member

Thorn?

HERE

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Got the Spot forks on my Salsa Vaya. Highly recommended. See my review on their site.

Leon
    Free Member

Some good options there – I might call about the Thorn ones, although I note they talk about “Trekking”. If Trekking means hammering down rocky descents on 32mm tyres, then I’m good to go 🙂

Spot ones look very nice too. According to here:

UNDER 500g!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cross disc forks 1 1/8" STRAIGHT steerer (yawn)’ is closed to new replies.