Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cross Bikes and toe overlap
  • wwaswas

A bad thing ‘full stop’ or just live with it?

Problem is when riding wooded singletrack or trying to start on a steep uphill – anything slow speed where I’m trying to steer and pedal at the same time, really. Doubletrack and road is fine as you tend to corner more by leaning than steering.

Seem to have about 3cm overlap on my current cross frame but I like the ride position. I could get a longer frame and fit a shorter stem (currently at 100mm) I guess but wondered what other people thought.

Jerome
    Free Member

Huge toe overlap on my road frame.
    Little bit on my cross frame.
    I live with it.
    As ever depends how much it annoys you.

stever
    Free Member

I have two bikes with overlap, one is fixed wheel, neither bothers me. I occasionally touch the wheel but just push on.

wwaswas

I do have black streaks on the toe’s of both shoes I ride the bike in so it is obviously happening a fair bit.

Just worried I’m going to end up jamming the front wheel into my shoe and coming a cropper, I guess. It’s a bit disconcerting ‘cos it tends to happen when I’m trying something tricky.

mt
    Free Member

Any alternative frame suggestions of XC bikes that do not have overlap. At present if I crash on to my right side it’ll be another 5 month before I can ride again if ever.

xiphon
    Free Member

Had it on every road bike I’ve ridden – thought it was normal??

Occasionally clip the wheel when doing trackstands at the lights..

wwaswas

mt – I’d switch to just road riding if I were you 🙁 I’ve never had overlap on any of my mtb’s.

I bought a ‘smaller than it ought to be’ cross bike as I get neck ache ridign road bikes and wanted a less stretched position but hadn’t really thought about toe overlap.

Maybe I need to stop riding the mtb trails at Stanmer on it.

[edit] xiphon – think you may be right – it’s the slow speed stuff that you don’t do on a road bike that seems to cause the problem.

slowclimb
    Free Member

I have exactly the same problem with my crosser I bought earlier this year! All I can say is you get used to it 🙂
    I posted too and got the following replies if thats any help:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cyclocross-bike-banging-my-feet-on-the-front-wheel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cross Bikes and toe overlap’ is closed to new replies.