Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Croix De Fer Upgrades
  • monkeyninja
    Free Member

Last week i bought a croix de fer from iainc on here, ridden it a couple of days this week to work and am loving it done 90km so far. I’ve changed to a cheap 100mm stem as it felt quite stretched out and i am not used to riding a road bike bike (zero flexibility). The question is if i was to look at new wheels and new bars/stem what would be the suggestions, i am completely new to this kind of riding? From a quick search i found salsa cowbell bars and one one midge bars and the kinesis cx wheels.. what are my other options? I’m happy with drive train and brakes and not looking to upgrade them just now. Would a carbon fork be a worthwhile upgrade in the future as well?

Jamie
    Free Member

Would a carbon fork be a worthwhile upgrade in the future as well?

I wouldn’t bother. 1) Didn’t make a massive amount of difference. 2) Weird sizing, so tricky to get one that keeps all the geo the same.

The question is if i was to look at new wheels

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kinesis-crosslight-disc-v3-roadcx-wheelset/

slparsons
    Free Member

I fitted a Specialized stem and the Salsa cowbell bars to mine.

I’ve seen lots of good feedback on the Kinesis wheels (see the Tripster ATR thread on here).

I’d say look no further unless you want to spend (lots) more.

kcal

Peregrine here, so not dissimilar.

Cowbell bars – love them. Stem – shorter, more raised. Sod the aesthetics.
    Would carbon forks have the requisite rack / guard mounts for future use?

Wheels – I got Archetype H Plus Sons from J R A. Lovely. Sturdy.

jerrys
    Free Member

I put a BBB 35 degree riser stem on my CdF. Works for me 🙂

Will probably try some different bars soon – Cowbells I expect.

isitafox
    Free Member

Flat bars and flat pedals, full on anti roadie! Genesis are releasing their own Croix de Fer carbon forks over Christmas so they might be worth a look. As for wheels I’d be keen to hear what kind of rims to look at as I’ve got a pair of Pro 2’s ready to build into something!

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Probably order a set of cowbells i think and in time go for the kinesis wheels.

iainc

If you change the bars let me know cos I have spare brown bartape !

MrOvershoot

isitafox – Member
    Genesis are releasing their own Croix de Fer carbon forks over Christmas so they might be worth a look.

My 2009 Croix de Fer came with carbon forks as standard.
    [/url]P1020381 by Mr Overshoot, on Flickr[/img]

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Thanks iainc will be in touch

Bregante

If anyone fancies trying a pair of salsa cowbells I have some brand new ones which I no longer need.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

what size? i may be interested

ian martin
    Free Member

How much do you want for the bars?

Bregante

25 posted. 20 if you can collect from Manchester.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Sent you an email

velosam
    Free Member

May I have 3rd dibs please

monkeyninja
    Free Member

So I have some new cowbell bars to fit, thanks Bregante.. As this is my first road bike and I’ve never set up this style of bar I have a couple of questions

1 Is there any special formula to set up road bars should the bars be parallel to the ground? Is it just trial and error to get the shifter/bar angle right?

2 Can you re use the bar tape?

velosam
    Free Member

hi MonkeyNinja in the unlikely event you dont on with these I would be interested in them.cheers

monkeyninja
    Free Member

No worries i’ll have a shot with them and if there no good you can have them.

velosam
    Free Member

Thanks MN, email should be in profile

velosam
    Free Member

MN, how are you finding the bars?

failedengineer

I put Hope 2/Mavic Open Pro wheels on mine. Ritchey bars and 90mm stem. I use 28mm gatorskins on the road and they are excellent, although I’ve read some scary reports on here.
    The rest: Thomson post, Flite saddle, Sram compact chainset, 105 shifters and mechs.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Croix De Fer Upgrades’ is closed to new replies.