Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Croix de Fer advice please
  • goofyfoot
    Free Member

All,
    Thinking of purchasing one for a daily commute which although relatively short is mostly countryside b roads , which are eating wheels and brake blocks given the current conditions .Anyone else use one for a commute, how do they rate and how do they size up ?I ‘m a 32′ inside leg and 5’ 11 will a medium suffice.
    All comments welcome.

iainc

I am similar size, 5ft 10.5, 30.5 inside leg, long back, and on a medium, which fits me well. I did pop a 10mm longer stem on it to match the dimensions of my Giant Defy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The equilibrium sounds like it’d be more suited for what you want.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m very similar in size to you (5’11.5″ & 32″IL) and have a medium CdF 10. Haven’t changed anything on it yet.

Slightly heavy but great as a commuter/tourer/winter bike. Worth fitting full length mudguards as well.

thekettle
    Free Member

Been sporadically commuting on my small for 2 years on b roads, averaging 15 miles in each direction. Also riding off road and occasional 100 milers. Seems great, built from the frameset though so can’t comment on wheel durability.

goofyfoot
    Free Member

thanks davidtaylforth….. you are spot on . Genisis virgin so thanks for the education , only draw back is price Will need to be second hand and they are probably as easy as rocking horse pooh to get hold of .Seems to be more Croix for sale .

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, I imagine the disc version is harder to come by second hand. Lots of rim brake versions about. They’re a bit lighter than the Croix I think, more suited to road riding. Plenty of clearance for wider tyres though.

manxambassador
    Free Member

If you do go for one Winstanleys are doing last years CDF 20 for £699.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have a 56 croix at 5 ft 10. The equilibrium I test rode was a 56 too but shorter top tube and felt cramped (I prefer longer reach).

Equilibrium on paper would have been better for me but I went with the croix as I have the option of commuting through forest tracks (as said above equilibrium is a road bike primarily but can take wide cx tires and full guards)

iainc

don – did you ever replace your freehub, and what with ?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Hi iain I did…. I thought I sent you the details and pics….. Will check my outbox

Iain….
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-know-what-free-hub-this-is

iainc

Cheers don, appreciated. I didn’t check back to that post, apologies 😳 Is new one as noisy as original ?

Superficial
    Free Member

You’ll want a 56 CdF. I don’t know if that counts as medium or what. I’ve got one, I love it for that sort of commute. You won’t break any strava records but it’s so comfy and reliable, plus you have the option of taking the off road route when the chance arises.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Croix de Fer advice please’ is closed to new replies.