Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • criminal records
  • shreck
    Free Member

can any one tell me how long somthing will stay on your ciminal record for in 1997 i was dissimissed from the navy and sent to mctc colchester for use and supply of cannibis class b at the time.i know they will show up on criminal record check,but when do they become spent?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I think it will stay on there, because of a new rule. I think thats correct, when I contacted CRB.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends.

IIRC its five years for convictions to become spent – but for certain jobs even spent convictions have to be disclosed.

If you are being CRB checked its different again.

shreck
    Free Member

does any one know when i dont have to declare it to a new employer thought it became spent after 5 years,i know if its working with children or vunerable people i will always have to declare it but what about a job that does not requre a crb check?

piha
    Free Member

I don't know if you have to declare it or not but if that period of your life is behind you, then let them know. A bit of honesty might be admired by your potential employer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shreck then its 5 years unless it says on the application form you have to declare spent convictions I think

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depending on the occupation you have to declare spent convictions as well
    If they are CRB checking you it will show up if they are just asking but have no way of checking this then it is between you and your conscience. Many employers ask but cannot check. It is of course instant dismisal if it ever becomes known risk is someone knowing about it telling your employer new area, no one knows then risk is low.
    http://www.inbrief.co.uk/criminal-records.htm

MoreCashThanDash

I was going to suggest anything by Black Lace, but you mean those types of criminal records……….

midlifecrashes

Usually if working with children or vulnerable adults then the concept of spent does not apply, otherwise it's all in here:

Nacro guide

Nonsense
    Free Member

This is probably easier to follow

Spent Convictions

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mmm every application form I've filled in has asked if I've ever had any criminal convictions, not stipulated a time? But then I've only filled in heavy engineering related and academia related ones.

MSP

piha – Member

I don't know if you have to declare it or not but if that period of your life is behind you, then let them know. A bit of honesty might be admired by your potential employer.

wow what world do you live in?

piha
    Free Member

MSP – Member

wow what world do you live in?
    Posted 13 minutes ago # Report-Post

I live in a world where occasionally I have to employ people based on what they can produce and not based on their past. I have employed people that have criminal records and I have asked them if they have a criminal record. If we have work in schools or government buildings, our customers might need to check on the past of the guys I send to site as a record can be an issue to some of those customers. Therefore, I would rather find out if one of my guys has a record from that guy and not a third party after that check has been done.

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Just got back from a ride past the MCTC 😀

shreck
    Free Member

nice place that mctc,thanks for all the info guys.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MSP – I have worked in a nursing home company that would employ people with criminal records but would sack instantly if someone was found to have concealed a criminal record.

trail_rat
    Free Member

just be aware that even if your conviction is spent if you need to get a police report for anything – i needed one for a letter of invitation to equitorial guinea for work ….

my offence that was both spent and wiped from my record when i was 18 showed up…..

still one of only 12 people to get LOIs from 35 applicants …

MSP

Taking a job where you require a crb is very different for being given credit for admitting criminal record, especially one involving drugs.
    The reality is that most of middle England are quite happy to break the law when when its suits them, speeding and experimenting with drugs, driving the morning after a night on the tiles. But when it comes to someone else’s misdemeanours they are very quick to categorise them as law breaking scum.

hora
    Free Member

I thought everyone in the Navy was into crack?

konabunny
    Free Member

MSP – I have worked in a nursing home company that would employ people with criminal records but would sack instantly if someone was found to have concealed a criminal record.

I have managed hundreds of background checks. Not declaring something you had to declare was a good way to run into trouble (but if it's spent, obviously that usually doesn't mean you have to declare it). Doubly so when the applicant was told a criminal records check would actually be done.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘criminal records’ is closed to new replies.