Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crime does pay
  • bruneep

Bank worker who stole £120,000 order to pay back £1

A BANKER who stole £120,000 from a customer in Aberdeen has been ordered to repay £1.

Satnam Kaur, 31, was locked up for a year last year after being found guilty.

Kaur was also convicted of moving £88,000 of the cash out of Scotland after she went on trial last year.

Kaur, who is currently in a detention centre awaiting deportation, claimed she was given the six-figure sum as hush money from a wealthy client she alleged had touched her inappropriately.

At a proceeds of crime hearing today at Aberdeen Sheriff Court, Sheriff Graham Buchanan granted a motion that an order be made for Kaur to repay £1 based on the available assets she has.

He said: “This is a quasi civil process, a joint minute by the Crown and Miss Kaur for making the confiscation order – that’s the sum of £1 given the assets available.

Linky

🙄

marcus7
    Free Member

Skillz with the copy and paste fella, 😉

KonaTC

Guess the £1 fine and “Kaur, who is currently in a detention centre awaiting deportation.” might be linked!

ElShalimo

Crime only pays for a select few
    Have you read Freakonomics? There’s a very interesting section on drug dealers

crankboy
    Free Member

Its a Poca order . it will specify the benefit from criminal conduct ie 120k the available assets ie she has nowt so a nominal amount and the realisable amount which is equal to the available assets but not greater than the benefit is £1. The point of the order is once made should she come into money the police can go back to court and apply to recalculate the available amount and so recover up to her full benefit from crime.
    Obviously its more fun to pretend this is a glaringly obvious injustice but in truth the public are poorly served by stupid lazy journalists.
    So the actual headline should be crime does not pay the state takes the full benefit of you and on occasions you pay back even more than you got.

bruneep

Hmmm she managed to spirit £88k out of country after she went on trial. shirley all assets should’ve been locked down before that.

nick1962
    Free Member

Crime only pays for a select few

Too true.
    AFAIK the vast majority of fraudulent activity in the City, often involving millions, doesn’t even get reported to the police.Shoplift and chances are you’ll get prosecuted if caught.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I remember when this was originally in the paper. I thought her change to “I was touched up by the old geezer” was laughable to try and hide the fact she was a thieving scummer.

So no doubt following her deportation, she’ll suddenly be £88k richer than she was before she left.

irc

Crime certainly does pay. She only served a month of her 1 year sentence. I’d do a month for £120’000

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/bank-worker-who-stole-120-000-out-of-jail-after-a-month-1.553085

crankboy
    Free Member

They can normally trace moved assets to 3rd parties even out of the country and they if identifiable they are put into the available amount so burden on her to get them back or go to prison . I would imagine the cash was long gone pre investigation or it would have been frozen without notice to her.

crankboy
    Free Member

One month then release on Home Detention Cerfew would have got out on licence at the 6 month point . Low risk prisoner with suitable acomodation . It still does not sit right with me though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crime does pay’ is closed to new replies.