Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cricket vs Football
  • convert

That is why cricket will always have more class as a professional game than football.

yossarian
    Free Member

I like both but only really make a serious effort to watch test cricket.

Football has always had it’s issues but I cannot stand the money/celebrity/stupidity that’s in the modern game. If you want proper football and proper supporters then the lower leagues is where it’s at.

Test cricket is unsurpassed as a sporting event.

donsimon
    Free Member

Got room for both, they’re different and I don’t think one is superior to the other.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Cricket: baseball for posh idiots minus the fireworks and music.

t-obias
    Free Member

I’ve been to a few MLB games and never had music and/or fireworks. Maybe watching the Marlins is where I’m going wrong….

Cricket’s not without it’s problems, as much as I enjoy it. Seems like as soon as money gets into sport (or anything) problems start.

Lifer
    Free Member

Good old GlitterTroll, nothing if not consistent.

Rugby is the same with dissent, the ref’s word is final. I think football refs should have mics on (broadcasting) like the rugby ones do.

grum
    Free Member

Cricket: baseball for posh idiots minus the fireworks and music.

Someone’s never seen the IPL 😉

higgo
    Free Member

I like both but struggle to understand why the story linked to by the OP demonstrates that cricket has more class.

In summary the story is about an England player, who has ‘previous’ for this sort of thing misbehaving, admitting/apologising after the event and getting fined. Nothing unique to cricket in that.

loddrik
    Free Member

Cricket is shite and beloved by toffs.

convert

Broad shows descent at the decision of the umpire, makes a comment and gets fined. He has previous for this but this is known to both you and I because it is so unusual for the sport. A premiership ref has to put up with being surrounded by groups of players screaming in his face when he makes a decision they don’t like numerous times a match, often being prodded in the chest at the same time.

One sport has a rigid standard and is prepared to defend it, the other has let standards slip and needs “respect” campaigns to try to educate participants. IMO that’s class.

One allows supporters to sit next to each other and enjoy friendly banter, the other has to employ armies of police to keep the 2 groups apart – but that’s another debate.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yay! I’m an idiot toff. If I’m an idiot can I make sweeping generalisations?

Best not say that I was a committee member of the rowing club then.

convert

I know it’s a troll and cricket does have its fair share of blazer wearers. One of the best things about local club cricket is the vast range of people with different occupations who take part. Our village team (I don’t play) has a postman, a lawyer, a plasterer, a teacher, a delivery driver, a banker and a builder’s mate. More diverse that mountain biking I’d say.

RustySpanner

loddrik – Member

Up to your usual standard, well done.

What do you think of women’s cricket?

yossarian
    Free Member

Actually one if the things I like the most about the game is it’s universal appeal. I hardly think you can call the tens of millions of Indians who love cricket ‘toffs’ can you?

Yes it has elements of empire about it. I think cricket has been able to carry it’s past forward pretty well. Certainly better than football. What does the FA cup mean today? Absolutely nothing.

oopnorth
    Free Member

You need to come to an IPL game. I am currently in India and an IPL game is so far removed from a sunday afternoon game of english cricket, it’s more like being at a rock concert / game of premier league footie…it’s awesome!! 😀
    We are talking big PA systems, cheerleaders, mexican waves etc…it’s a great night out!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go and let Geoffrey know he’s a toff, would you…

Agree re the ref’s word being final. I think soccer could be massively improved by three things;
    1 – The Rugby approach to a yellow card. Ten minutes in the bin.
    2 – Only the captains can speak to the ref. No one else. Any dissent shown to the ref, straight yellow card. See above.
    3 – Anyone caught doing that poncy, mincing, rolling around in agony diving and then NOT being properly injured – Straight yellow card. Again, see above.

Junkyard
    Free Member

bit of a silly question.
    I like both for different reasons
    i would assume you get a different demographic at each…I dont think the barmy army chants are as racist as the Engerland fans though they may drink as much as the Scots fans.
    They should sort out the ref respect thing for sure. However both rugby and cricket use technology to ensure refs get the BIG decision right. The sport organisers as well as the players need to learn from the others

convert

bit of a silly question.

Who’s askin’ a question?

donsimon
    Free Member

Again I have to agree with CFH. 😕

yossarian
    Free Member

Go and let Geoffrey know he’s a toff, would you…

😆

Good point captain

Football for all it’s faults is the mirror of society in a way that eclipses all other sports. It’s always been that way and always will be. The shit stuff about football is the shit stuff about life in the 21st century. Football also has the ability to transcend normality, in the blink of an eye, guess that’s why it’s the most popular sport on the planet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You , question mark gave it away 😉
    Ok, fair point actually it is a comparison.
    Boycott has an OBE btw so he may just be one now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don Simon, don’t fight it, just enjoy it! 😉

bloodynora
    Free Member

Cricket today – Glass of plonk in the sun, TMS on, Aggers and the guys discussing the colours of the MCC PJs and weather Tuffers was eligible for said membership, turns out he wasn’t coz he only played 42 tests but Butch was coz he played 50+ I think…..Anyway we need to move Petersen up a place I reckon and drop Broad…. I love Summer 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Don Simon, don’t fight it, just enjoy it!

I’m genuinely worried. 😥

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thirty or so of us (ladies gents and commoners) went to the derbyshire t20 game on Friday night, it was a right laugh! However I never expected to see 2 fights whilst there 😯

trailmonkey

plenty of loutish, boorish, boozy behaviour at cricket. has been as long as i can remember.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you dragging the Aussies into this now 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

One of the rucks was nasty, guy got proper slammed on the floor! Other one was an old boy kicking off on the pavilion, very funny!! Good old Derbyshire/ Nottinghamshire rivalry!

LycraLout
    Free Member

cricket used to be great, but now you can drugs to help with insomnia

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cricket is not a sport, any ‘game’ where you stop for ‘tea’ and ‘lunch’ is quite clearly not a sport. End of.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cricket vs Football’ is closed to new replies.