Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • criagmore Aberfoyle
  • stavaigan
    Free Member

Anyone done it? Best routes up/down? Looking to extend into Q Liz and do the mtb trails plus bit past go ape down past waterfall and nice wee section in the woods at the bottom. Could make for quite a nice route.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Hope someone does know, I regularly do venacher side up into Q liz then back dow and would love a different route or extension. Where are the mtb trails in Q liz?

stavaigan
    Free Member

Found a route up. Fairly straightforward. ABout quarter of a mile past davie marshal there is an obvious path off to the left of the road that takes you all the way to the top. Bit muddy and slidey on the way back down. Some pretty technical stuff up the top, including one particualrly rocky chute off the summit. Generally worthwhile, be good to do in the dry. Two short official mtb trails in Q Liz. They are in the forest directly above go ape, starting off the main fire road.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Found a route up. Fairly straightforward. ABout quarter of a mile past davie marshal there is an obvious path off to the left of the road that takes you all the way to the top. Bit muddy and slidey on the way back down. Some pretty technical stuff up the top, including one particualrly rocky chute off the summit. Generally worthwhile, be good to do in the dry. Two short official mtb trails in Q Liz. They are in the forest directly above go ape, starting off the main fire road

Yeh we’ve been trying to link this stuff up for while from the two trails at the top down through Go-ape,there is loads of stuff its trying to link it up which seems to be tricky some pretty techy stuff that always puts a smile on my face :lol:..we’ve parked around Coblestone campsite and rode from there, some nice singletrack up and around fairy hill before heading up towards David Marshall lodge, always had a good day in aberfoyle before some cake in Liz Mcgregors T room :mrgreen:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is that the section you see the guy with the glasses riding in the movie ‘Home’?. In the film, it looks down on the DM lodge, looks fun.

stavaigan
    Free Member

Yip, same section. I think thats the bit where he falls off and breaks his thumb/finger. Double hunter, by fairy hill do you mean Doune hill? Agree that is a good section, there is also a hill behind you can join up with. Sunday ride all joined up quite nicely with a short cylce bach up Dukes Pass after coming off Craigmore, to fet back into Q liz forest and to the top of the mtb routes. Were some other less official mtb routes towards braeval but clear felling seems to have done for them.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Doune Hill is the one beside Fairy Hill, both OK up and down. Some nice wee trails along the river.

Know not the ones towards Braeval, but there looks like plenty of scope all round there. I do enjoy the up and over to Venacher, along the Rob Roy way, but it can get a little boggy.

Anythinh much else up the west side of the Dukes, before Ben Venue?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Anyone fancy getting together for a day of exploration?

Sanny
    Free Member

Guy with the glasses? That would be me, fella. Stevie was the one who broke his thumb though, not me!

The descnt off the top is ace. Easiest way to access is to ride up the National Cycle Route trail where it cut’s onto the Dukes Pass. From there, head up the footpath with a short clamber up onto the old narrow gauge rail track route.

Keep to the west side of the road for a lovely descent all the way to the valley floor. It’s mint as a descent.

Cheers

Sanny

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool, wasn’t sure if that was you or not. As for the Craigmore descent, I’ve heard about your ‘mint’ descents, mainly from Gareth and Elaine 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Ha! Ha! Yeah, they weren’t stoked on Lochnagar. Alt Glas is tech but not mental in my book. The waterbars on the top section were a lowlight for them when Gee came off. Elaine ripped up the last climb of the day leaving Gee in her wake.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘criagmore Aberfoyle’ is closed to new replies.