Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Crests or Flows?
  • Cheezpleez

Thinking about replacing the Mavic 321s on my C456 with some Stan’s rims to save weight and give my bike a bit more zip. So, is it worth it? Will I notice the difference and can/should I get away with Crests, given that I’ve managed to put a few small dings in my 321s.

It’s ‘only’ for XC but I do like drops and jumps and I don’t tend to hold back because I’m worried about damaging stuff. If I go for the heavier Flows will I still notice a difference?

Oh, and the plan would be to go tubeless.

nicko74

I think most people will say Arch EXs would be a good compromise. Crests are more akin to Mavic 717s in terms of strength; Arch EXs are close to 717s in terms of weight but in theory stronger.

Personally I switched from 717s to Crests, and appreciate the extra width in the rim, and haven’t dinged them yet – but then I ride XC and don’t like drops and jumps… 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Did you feel the weight of the front wheel on my Soul yet?

Come around, do it, (pick up District 9), you’ll probably buy them.

I’ve read several places they are strong but haven’t stretched mine as you would yours.

mattjg
    Free Member

Soz Crests I mean.

Cheezpleez

Cheers Matt, yes it’s the weight of yours and the way they roll that got me thinking.

Yup Nicko, I guess Arch EXs are the obvious compromise but I’m a skinflint after a bargain and I can’t find either rims or a wheelset using them that’s as cheap as Crests or Flows. Also, I want to notice the difference so want to go as light as poss. So who’s really hammered a set of Crests then?

footflaps

Flows aren’t that much heavier and the wider profile give tyres a better profile. I’d just get Flows…

Cheezpleez

Hmmm, that sounds like sense, so will I feel the difference between my 321s and Flows?

footflaps

Flows are also the best rim I’ve found so far for getting reliable tubeless performance (although I’ve not tried Crests).

br
    Free Member

Crest’s work well, and are far lighter than Flow’s – not managed to damage either set of mine.

Cheezpleez

b r – so how tough a time have you given the Crests?

mboy
    Free Member

If you’re dinging 321’s, I’d not be looking at either Crests or Flows, as neither are as strong and they’re certainly a bit softer material. Don’t get me wrong, great rims and all, but very expensive and if you’re dinging what you’ve got already, I’d look at something stronger, or use beefier tyres with higher pressures, otherwise it’ll get expensive!

james
    Free Member

“Flows aren’t that much heavier “
    Flows are closer to EN321s in weight than they are to Crests?

oxnop
    Free Member

On my HT (Soul) I run a crest front with a flow back and on the full suss run Flow F&R. (I ran 355’s on the HT prior with no issues and the crests are stronger)

Id go for Crests over the flows for the kind of riding you describe.

In ref to he comment above about them being soft, id agree. But the flows on my Alpine have about 20 dings, still run true and have never burped and that includes time spent in Alps etc. I used to run all manner of Mavic rims and would never go back. The mrs agrees also, her bikes run Stans (flows on FS) and they have lasted a year without issue including time abroad (still look great in white too)

mattjg
    Free Member

@cheez it’s not just the rims, the tyres are a big part of the equation on mine. Maybe you could try that on your current rims first if you are aiming to avoid spend.

mattjg
    Free Member

actually I have just bought a spare pair of the tyres for stock, if you want to give them a whizz before you commit to buying wheels you’re welcome (but I’d want them back or replaced!)

andyl46
    Free Member

I have flows, crests and crest 29er rims, so you can probably figure out I like them. Crests on my hardtails, flows on my Meta 5 as it gets a bit more abuse and I dont mind them being a little heavier. I’m 15 1/2 stone and have been known to get the wheels off the ground once in a while on all bikes, but I’m no DH rider.

Cheezpleez

Cheers all. Think I’ll probably take my chances with some Crests. If they’re not up to it they can go on my SS and I’ll go back to the 321s on my 456 or try some Flows. Matt, ta v much for the offer but I’ve got some tyres ready for this experiment. I would like to borrow District 9 though 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be OK, you’re quick but not particularly heavy, and you’re going to enjoy the extra speed.

Even I have been known to have both wheels off the ground at times (perhaps inadvertently), haven’t broken them yet!

(D9 is here, we just have to remember).

jameso

I’d choose on tyre profile and volumes, not rim weight. Flows may be better with the kind of tyres and PSI that suits your riding. I got Flows over anything thinner on an FS bike and really liked them – so went for 600g P35s on my 29er on that basis. Brilliant wheelset.. Rim weight is a bit of a red herring I think, you notice the spin-up speed of a lighter rim but after that it makes little difference, whereas a wider tyre profile with more volume and a bit less pressure rolls faster overall, handles better etc.

Thin rims are for road bikes )

jackal
    Free Member

I had this dilema last year, my choice came down to crest or arch (old style).
    Mine were for general xc type riding in and around the peaks (so rocky), ended up going with the crests on pro3’s and they’ve been fine apart from knocking the rear slightly out of true.
    I do tend to ride quite hard but smooth and tend to be light on kit (don’t tend to break stuff).
    They managed a week in the sierra nevada too with no prob’s.
    Ran them both tubed and tubeless with high rollers, advantages and larsens up to now, only managed to blow the tyre off the rim once (back wheel hit a slight up slope on a small jump).
    Mine were on a 100mm full sus and now on my dialled pa, you can definitely feel the difference when coming from a heavier rim.

😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Crests or Flows?’ is closed to new replies.