Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Crests or Arch EX, sorry!!
  • fathomer

I know this gets asked quite a lot and I’ve done plenty of reading and still can’t make up my mind.

I’m hopefully looking at getting a new wheelset for my Soul to replace the Hope XC/Mavic 717 (which there’s not a lot wrong with) combo and can’t decide between Stans Crest and Arch EX rims.

I weigh in at about 85kg kitted up and generally do what I guess you’d class as trail riding, both natural and at trail centres and tend to shy away from big jumps and drops.

So what would people suggest??

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

If your 717’s have survived, you should be OK with crests

DaveRambo

I’m lighter than you (by 9 or 10 kg) but also shy away from jumps etc

Crests on my Ti hardtail and have been blimmin fantastic

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ve got heavy bones and went for Arch for my Soul. Have an EX on the front with Supercomps and very pleased with it.

85kg sounds about towards the stated limit for crests, but you should be fine.

redfordrider
    Free Member

+1 for Crests. However, if you are not racing then the Arch Ex might give you more confidence to tackle challenging trails.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m slightly heavier than you and have all the finesse of a brick.
    I have crests on my XC hardtail.
    It seems to occasionally forget that it’s an XC hardtail though and has to endure being launched off 3′-4′ flights of steps (No, not ridden down, I mean clearing the flight top-bottom).
    They’re still straight and true after 6 months of such abuse.

fathomer

Thanks for the reponses so far, I like the idea of Crests for the weight and they’ll cost less being a Hoop build. Though I like the idea of the EX for the extra strength. Leaning towards the Crests though.

@Ecky-Thump, where do you tend to ride?

jairaj

If you’re a wheels on the ground kinda guy go for Crests.

otherwise if you like a bit of air time get the Arch EX.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

@fathomer
    I’m in Lancashire. The hardtail (rockhopper) with the Crests (hope hoops) tends to get used predominantly for local moorland stuff and trail centres.
    eg West Pennine Moors, Calderdale, North Yorks Moors, Gisburn, Kirroughtree
    (The steps example coming from Rivington).

Admittedly, I also have a FS bike with Flows for the more brutal stuff in the Lakes and Calderdale but the Crests on the hardtail don’t get that much easier a life.
    I did have reservations and prevaracated for a while before buying as I kept thinking that another set of Flows might have been safer but I’m glad I ultimately went for the Crests for the hardtail. I’ve been really impressed with them so far. Currently running Spesh Purgatory on the front and Larssen TT on the back, both tubeless with Stans tape & fluid.

benjbish

100kg here and Crests are fine with me but I’m not the hardest or baddest rider in the world.

j40aja
    Free Member

Got a set of Hope Pro 3s on Crests for sale at the moment if you’re interested. They are the 6 bolt standard QR type.

E-mail in profile.

Cheers,

Alan

fathomer

Thanks again guys, much appreciated, will give it a bit more thought but I’m definitely leaning towards the Crests as I’m not the harshest of riders!

@ j40aja, thanks but I’d rather buy new for this one.

fathomer

Just wanted to thanks for everyones input, after much deliberation and talking with Moonglu I’ve gone for the Arch EX, should be here early next week for my trip to CyB.

michaelonabicycle
    Free Member

Moonglu are fantastic wheel builders – You wont be dissapointed. 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

My Moonglu Arch wheelset has been superb – still perfectly tensioned and totally straight after 20 months regular use (the older Arch rims – wish the EX had been available then).

fathomer

That’s good to hear!

campfreddie
    Free Member

i ran crests on hope pro ii’s on my turner flux and they were great… i weigh in at about 92kgs in my birthday suit, so fully togged i am somewhat more.

i used the bike on the w2 at afan and the wheels held up fine.

i am now running arch ex’s on my yeti and whilst it is too early to tell whether there is much difference, i am banking on them being a little more robust to compensate for my lack of skill.

i did consider flows but ruled them out as being a little too hardcore for my usage.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Crests or Arch EX, sorry!!’ is closed to new replies.