Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Credit / debit card fraud…. how many others have been hit?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

Howdo,

ok in the last week my debit card has been scammed to tune of 900 quid and last month my credit card company ( different to the debit card company ) has been also used to 2.5 k… My wallet has never left my sight so no way its been lifted… How common is this type of thing – always hear about it but this is my first personal experience in over 20 years of card useage…

Now i normally use the credit card for on line purchases and the debit for cash etc and the odd on line stuff – I am thinking maybe my computer has been hacked – how can i easily check this or is it a computer shop job? Have anti virus stuff installed… Or i may hvae been hit at local petrol stations…

Its very frustrating and i fear that scammers will just get away with it…

cheers

paul

wwaswas

£961.11 via my debit card by someone who set up an account at littlewoods.

Police wouldn’t record it as a crime, hsbc were utterly useless in spite of a second attempt via O2.

I’ve got suspicions about the Bath branch of a national chain of hire shops but nothing I can substantiate.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I got my entire balance (and overdraft) taken by way of an online paypal type thing, someone just charged me several small amounts until the card was empty!

My mum got her card copied whilst it had been locked in the safe for a couple of years! clearly details out the back door of the bank!

Joe

£5500 last year…and a grand or so the year before. Got it all back eventually.

votchy
    Free Member

Have had my debit card done twice in the last 2 years and my credit card once, both companies sorted it out eventually. Both of the debit card issues I believe the bank should’ve picked up ie my Paypal account was linked to my debit card, changed debit card and all transactions made through Paypal were against my old card number that the bank alledgedley automatically cancel when a new card is requested, 2nd time someone cloned my card and made £300 cash withdrawals from cashpoints in canada while I used my debit card in England on the same days and in some instances, within minutes of making a withdrawal in Ottawa!!!!

geoffj

£1300 before christmas – all dealt with by bank very quickly.

BoardinBob

Yes, back in August 2007. We were due to fly out to Barcelona on holiday and I sent the wife to the cash machine to lift some money. She came back saying she could only lift £50. Not possible as I new there were thousands in the the account. Jumped in a taxi to the airport and phoned the bank who confirmed £1,200 had been lifted from our account at cash machines in New Zealand over the last couple of days!

Absolute disaster as we had to cancel our bank cards meaning we had no access to cash as we were on the way to the airport and no time to go to a branch. Luckily I happened to have a card for a dormant current account I used to use which had a couple of hundred quid in it so we were able to get a bit of spending money to last a couple of days and we transferred cash from the impacted account into the dormant one. absolute f*cking nightmare.

got the cash back though but RBS did take about a month to do it!

IanMunro
    Free Member

My credit card gets scammed about every 8 months or so. Never been a problem (for me) the company just sends out a new one the next day and it’s the last I hear of it.
    I rarely use my bank debit card for anything apart from cashpoints. If that get’s scammed it’s my money that dissapears which I then have to get back, rather than the credit card company’s loss.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Me too, debit card. A few small amounts, then several large ones to the tune of about £3k which included overdraft. It seems pretty common, I know quite a few people who’ve had this happen. Halifax were useless, it took about 3 months for me to get the money back, but I did in the end which is the main thing I guess. At times the bank made me feel as though I was under suspicion, which is the last thing you want. It’s horrible.

plop_pants
    Free Member

had £1000 taken from my account via a debit card. Got it all back no problem. Interesting thing was that the bank sent me details of the dodgy transactions (all oline jewelery stuff) which included the name and address of the perpetrator! Could of had some fun with that.

ski
    Free Member

Driving back from SSUK08 last year, stopped to fill up my Mrs car & used a credit card at a petrol station, within 2 days, scammers had taken £400.

New credit card, I had only used it once two months previous, so I was 99% sure it was skimmed there, petrol station HQ took my details, but never heard from them again?

alp_girl
    Free Member

Credit card – newly issued card as well, only place I used it that I hadn’t used with my old card was Ordnance Survey website… now I’m scared to order anything else off there 🙁

Stu_N

Yes – twice. About £500 disappeared from our bank account, a withdrawl from a cash point in Australia, last year. Front page story on local free rag was about a card skimming scam at local garage with subsequent fraud taking place in Australia and New Zealand. Garage was one of the few places that card ever got used. Haven’t been back since.

Bank sorted it out fairly quickly, though they cancelled all our bank cards and reissued with new PINs, rather than just the one on the account that were scammed, which was a pain as was just before Christmas so lots of postal delays, and when stuff came through had no idea which PIN went with which card…

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I seem to get done every couple of months or so as I spend a fair bit on personal and company credit cards. Intially it was a bit of a horrifying experience but used to it now as just part of using a credit card online.

I’ve never lost a penny though, just the inconvenince of having my card stopped at inopportune times and having to make calls to chase the bank.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I don’t know if I’ve ever been scammed. I’m too scared to open my card statements to find out….

richc
    Free Member

There are a couple of garages in Bristol that are notorious for this, so most people I know avoid them.

I’ve had my card done by more online bike stores that I have garages though (3 times in 1 year, and the issue stopped when I stopped using them).

retro83
    Free Member

Some turd nabbed my debit card, then bought loads of crap from iTunes. Gotta say that Barclays were pretty good about sorting it though.

fbk
    Free Member

Had about £600 taken off my credit card – they tried a small transaction first then a couple of foreign ones and some “trainline.com” purchases!

That was with Nationwide and they were very quick and efficient at sorting it out.

druidh
    Free Member

There was a spate of it around West Edinburgh towards the back end of last year. Turned out it was related to a couple of filling stations.

falkirk-mark

I was in a shop in Penicuick and paid for stuff with my card which was put in the chip and pin machine and i put in my code (sale went through), the guy then put it through a reader (the thing at the side of the till you swipe the card through).While I was driving home it occured to me that any other shop I have been in they only ever used one or the other which then got me wondering if the reader was maybe linked to a laptop or something under the counter. Never found out if it was a con as I phoned the bank and they sent me out a new card.

gingerflash

I had about £900 taken form my HSBC switch card. Before I even noticed (the next day I think) HSBC rang me, went through the transactions, and refunded it all. No bother at all. very lucky I suppose.

twosheds
    Free Member

Their was a piece on the radio today about fraud. Basically every police force apart from the MET dont have any resources to investigate. We all know why that is dont we……………..

mieszko
    Free Member

Last week I was waiting for my tutorials when Lloyds TSB called me and asked if I recognize some transactions. Someone in Latvia (never been there :-)) did some shopping with my card details, ShoeDirect or something, managed to take about £500, than I had to wait to speak with a consultant and they just cancelled my card and didn’t authorize the transactions. Woman said to check my statements in the next few days, and the next day someone managed to top up his O2 mobile for £30. The £500 didn’t leave the account which is a good thing but I’m waiting for the bank to refund the £30 (prob this Friday). Credit card is ok, as I just don’t use it.

I’m assuming someone snatched my card details while I was visiting my mum in Poland for 3 weeks, used the card about 6 times mostly in Cash Machines (and I always check if there is something “extra” in the bit where You put Your card in) but paid once in a petrol station and twice in some shops.

Not the nicest experience and I was a bit shocked as well. You read about that stuff even on here, but I thought that I’ll be fine, but apparently not 🙂 Now I’ll be taking cash rather than use the card anywhere abroad (all my friends do that, but I just don’t like to carry too much money).

This swiping the card thing, interesting as a girl did the same thing with my brand spanking new debit card when I was paying for the gym at Edinburgh Uni gym in Pleasence, but still popped it in the chip and pin machine after swiping it. Will see in few days.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes! £17k in three days on a credit card that had never been used, or even taken out of the house! Plus £1200 went from my business account to pay a credit card bill for an account which I didn’t have.

The feckers bought a load of stuff in S. E. London, £15k on computer equipment, a bed, two big drinks tabs in a night club two nights on the trot. Apparently they had my PIN and also confirmed the security questions over the phone when the card company initially rejected the transaction. Nobody called me however. How lame!

The credit card company told me that the fraudster had also called them after I had reported the matter to see why the account had been suspended!! The fecker apparently knew all my secret details, but couldn’t answer when the last transaction was – he then hung up! The audacity of it!

I’d never recorded these details on a PC, or elsewhere and had never given them out. The card was kept safely put away at home – unused. I’m pretty sure it was an inside job – a bad call centre worker perhaps. Credit card security checks are often handled by a 3rd party too – so the card company had to have given these security check details out to these 3rd party operators. I’ll never know because the banks and card companies will never tell you what happened.

It was pretty stressful not knowing if there would be further fraud, but i had all my cards changed and terminated all my dormant accounts. I am now never tempted to take up these offers you get to take out another credit card.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Credit / debit card fraud…. how many others have been hit?’ is closed to new replies.