Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Credit Card scammed – bank will only refund one transaction – what next??
  • dickie
    Free Member

A month back I found out my HSBC Mastercard had been scammed.
    One transaction for a £15 phone top up & £75 at a Microsoft store.

After spending the whole of a Saturday morning getting the card stopped, the bank sent me two declaration forms to fill out for each transaction.

They have recredited the £15 but today I have a letter stating;

Our records indicate that this transaction was undertaken on a secured E-commerce site, which means that whenever the card is used a valid email address & password has to be entered. The email address & password are set-up in agreement with the retailer for use on the particular internet site.
    Under these circumstances I have no recourse against the retailer.

What can I do now if owt?

Stoner
    Free Member

thats a load of bollox. You card security has nothing to do with email addresses and passwords.

go back to them and give them a hard time.

Shakey
    Free Member

If the transaction was performed on a secure e-commerce site then normally they will only ship to the registered address of the card!

Also, with systems like Mastercard secure code and the Visa equivalent they can be bypassed easily.

The problem here is that the scammer needed to know the registered address of the card to complete the transaction.

Edit – Agree with Stoner – they are talking bollox!

ojom
    Free Member

Sounds like your bank are being rubbish, although sometimes the wording of your card responsibilities are a bit vague.

If the site used has 3d secure then they are responsible. If you didnt take 'reasonable steps' to secure your online password then they may have a case.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I had my card scammed and the scammers bought 2 ipods online so they would have had to use an email and password to make the transaction.

When I contacted the bank (natwest) they refunded the money no problem! The shop even refunded me as well as they actually recovered the goods – unfortantly I had to pay the extra refund back 😥

jacksta
    Free Member

its BS, they should refund you, keep arguing. The only time they can argue is if it was a transaction that you stood in the shop, swiped your card and entered your pin number for. If the scammers have made a clone card and done that then you would have to prove you werent there. Otherwise anything online they should refund. That's why they charge merchants such a huge fee for card not present transactions, the merchant would have to prove that they sent the goods and the goods were recieved at your card address.

nimrod2410
    Free Member

I would have thought they have an obligation to put you back to your original position in the case of fraud whilst they investigate. If at a later date it was possibly found to be not fraud or you have broken the banks T&C's they could then take the money back from you.

I say this as my wife works for a bank and in the case of moneys being debited or taken from an individuals account under suspect circumstances the bank make good the account whilst the case is looked at.

Just my view.

john_l
    Free Member

what does your card agreement say about fradulent transactions? because the merchant has implemented 3D Secure the liability shifts to your card issuer, (ie they can't charge it back to the retailer), which is why they're trying to fob you off.

If you havn't set-up a password & account with either SecureCode or VbV (Visa) then it's perfectly reasonable to assume that the fraudster's done it on your behalf, using your identity.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Credit Card scammed – bank will only refund one transaction – what next??’ is closed to new replies.