Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Credit card rejected but ok at atm
  • Jolsa

Would anyone know why I can use my credit card at an atm, however am rejected whenever I try to buy something on it in a shop? It happened a few months back and again last night which has prompted me to ask.

Buying online is fine – only problem is when in a shop. No mistake concerning the PIN input, and there’s no balance to pay off.

uplink
    Free Member

Bit left field here but have you tried calling the card company & asking them?

Jolsa

Knew someone was gonna start off with that. I did yeah – a few months back when it first happened, they questioned whether I’d typed the PIN correctly, and couldn’t be much more helpful than that really.

Hmm, a pattern…

RealMan
    Free Member

Have you tried calling them again?

bigbob38
    Free Member

cut it up, throw it away, phone them and tell them that and if they want you as a customer they will have to send you a new one….
    Problem solved (assuming there might be an error in the chip!)

Neptune
    Free Member

They make money money off you when you use your card in an ATM!

Rio

I’ve had that, last happened when trying to pay for petrol. It may be the shop’s transaction that’s been declined, not specifically your card – some merchants are seen as a high fraud risk.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Oh – this brings me back to my old job.

The most likely thing ime is that there’s a problem with the chip. A UK ATM is allowed to “fall back” to using the mag stripe (allows for Johnny foreigner’s cards) and this is getting approved no probs. Prob works ok online too?

Most high street retailers arent allowed to fall back to mag stripe anymore.

Edit – it may be the chip has got some covering (gum, oil…) but in any case I’d just report it as lost and they’ll send you a new one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Credit card rejected but ok at atm’ is closed to new replies.