Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Credit Card details stolen – £2k on my card – what next? Anyone had experience?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Tried to buy some shorts online to get my card declined twice on Sunday – decided to log into my banking to see if anything was up – turns out someone has spent almost £2000 on my credit card in Hamburg on the 22nd and the bank has blocked my card (AFTER the 2k spree)

Interestingly, the three biggest items seemed to be at Hotels – doesn’t say if it’s a reservation or what, I’m guessing they bought currency? No idea really. (One for £250 odd, one for £350 odd, and one for £950)

I phoned my bank Sunday who said there are two additional charges made in Europe at 4pm Saturday that are waiting to come onto the card for £75 each, and that I was to wait for those to appear on my statement then phone back on a number they provided – seems strange but whatever. They said the charges were made online, but from in Europe. They cancelled the card and have sent a new one out.

What happens next? Anyone had this happen to them?

I’m not panicking yet but would like to bank to say “everything’s cool – the credit is cancelled and we’ll sort it out” but they’ve not yet said that – just told me to phone back when those additional charges are on my statement!

Didn’t Chain Reaction have a data breach a while ago? I’m guessing the details are from that breach.

hammyuk
    Free Member

As long as you can show it wasn’t you….

Kidding – you’re covered under the fraud terms of the consumer credit act.

Nobby

Mrs Nobby had something similar recently. Her bank put a block on the card due to ‘unusual activity’ so she rang them. They told her there were a few other entries that they were unsure of & provided her with a list to identify which transactions were hers and which weren’t. They then removed all of the fraudulent ones from her account without any issue.

Edit: She was also told it was probably cloned by a gang that worked a local petrol station – a device fitted to the in-store card reader recorded everything it needed & a camera above the till captured many PIN numbers. Apparently this is more common than you’d think.

taxi25
    Free Member

It’s happened to me twice.You’ll get a form showing all the transactions. State which ones are yours and which ones aren’t. Whatever you do maintain that the card has always been in your possession and that no one else knows your pin number. You’ll get your money back in full.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Same with me – sorted with no dramas and new card in my hand within five days (i was in Afghanistan at the time as well!!)

cheshirecat
    Free Member

It’s happened a couple of times to me. Bank phoned me to check some unusual transactions – most recent one was £750 at ao dot com

Sorted out with no drama. New card within a few days, but had to sign a statement saying the transactions weren’t mine. However, I was glad that I had an additional unrelated credit card to use in the meantime.

Edit: it’s also the reason I never use a debit card in shops. With a credit card, it’s not your money they’re stealing

rocketman
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the whole point of a credit card there’s no drama

You don’t have to prove anything if it’s been flagged as an unusual transaction the credit card people will sort it out with the retailer then phone you to explain what’s happened

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, no need to panic just yet.

There was a fair amount of “we’ll get back to you within 6 weeks” type stuff, but that just what the law and their procedures say they have to do, in reality I think it was all done and dusted by Friday.

Didn’t Chain Reaction have a data breach a while ago? I’m guessing the details are from that breach.

That was years ago wasn’t it? Unless you’ve not used it since then it’s unlikely.

plyphon
    Free Member

That was years ago, wasn’t it? Unless you’ve not used it since then it’s unlikely.

yeah, it was years ago, who knows.

Alright guys, cheers. Panicking averted for now 🙂

certainly makes you wonder where they got the details. I pretty much use my credit card exclusively for this reason, glad the paranoia has paid off!

km79
    Free Member

Is contactless a safer system to use in petrol stations etc rather than chip and pin? Can the fraud machines clone these also?

Klunk
    Free Member

I had a awful experience when it happen to me on my Barclaycard, the fraud department were very helpful and told me not to pay anything back on the card till it was dealt with. I then started to get phone calls at all hours from another department demanding payment, getting more and more aggressive, ending threats of legal action 9.00pm on Chrismas Eve.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is contactless a safer system to use in petrol stations etc rather than chip and pin? Can the fraud machines clone these also?

There is probably some clever person somewhere who can, but it does remove the risk of pin numbers being stolen.

jam-bo

limited to £30 isnt it?

ok if you dribble in £10 a time but filling up at £50 a time isnt going to work.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just dribble in £30 then? 😀

I can see the limit being raised to £50 by the end of the year. Especially with the uptake of Apple/Android pay doing well.

Nobby

km79 – Member

Look up ‘RFID skimming’. I was looking for a new wallet recently & the very first thing the helpful chap in the shop asked was “do you want it to be RFID shielded?” Until that point, I had no idea what it was.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Look up ‘RFID skimming’. I was looking for a new wallet recently & the very first thing the helpful chap in the shop asked was “do you want it to be RFID shielded?” Until that point, I had no idea what it was.

There was a long thread on here discussing it – conclusion was it is too difficult and just an excuse to sell more expensive wallets.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rfid-skimming-something-to-worry-about

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The cheapest way, if one is really worried is some of these:

jam-bo

tank of fuel will be £70 by the end of the year 😉

Nobby

There was a long thread on here discussing it – conclusion was it is too difficult and just an excuse to sell more expensive wallets.

Missed that but didn’t buy into the whole protected wallet thing anyway.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Happens twice. Contact card company and said it wasnt me..thats it, they sorted it no drama …someone in the US use it to spent motorbike parts 😯 wtf!!

CountZero

I had a phone call from the bank four weeks ago about unusual activity on my debit card, there had been an attempt to withdraw £800 at a branch of RBS! God knows how they thought they’d get away with trying to get that much, especially as it was near the end of the month!
    Had the new card for two weeks, then thought I’d lost my wallet and had to get the card replaced again. Found it the next day. Muppet. 🙄

revs1972
    Free Member

Had £600 taken from my bank in Bristol by someone who walked into bank and apparently had ID
    Luckily 5 mins later I just happened to print a mini statement showing the transaction . Went inside to ask about it and the guy said yes, you have just taken out £600 in Filton bristol branch
    The fact that I was stood in Torquay branch at the time had us both scratching our heads.
    Police were involved, they came to the house to take a statement and the bank cashier had gone home at lunchtime and not turned up the following week.
    Never did get an answer as to who took the money and it took 2 weeks to get put back in my account
    I did ask them to put a block on anyone trying to take out money over the counter, including myself, which I tested 12 months later when I successfully managed to take out £4K to buy a car. So much for security

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Credit Card details stolen – £2k on my card – what next? Anyone had experience?’ is closed to new replies.