Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Creaky on one fatty
  • burko73

Hi

My fatty is creaky. Basically under load it creaks like a good un. I changed the bb which was knackered but it still creaks. I’ve taken the cassette off, cleaned and lubed the free hub external surfaces and the dropouts and it still creaks.

No cracks in the frame.

Does it when standing so not seatpost related.

Chain/ cassette are well past it so that’s my next port of call.

The free hub is an one one ally one and is well marked where the cassette contacts it. Is this likely to be a source of the creak? I’ve not had any ally free hub body issues before as I’m usually running shimano hubs.

Any ideas?

onandon
    Free Member

Headset bearings. Worth a try.

tomd
    Free Member

Stem / faceplate bolts
    Headset
    If the fork has any bonded parts, those (e.g. stanchions, steerer)
    Pedal threads
    Crank threads
    Chain ring bolts
    Hub axles

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s most likely to be a bolt creaking as Tomd said, or your headset needs a good clean and regrease, maybe new bearings. Try working down the list above removing bolts, cleaning the threads and regreasing if appropriate. I think its unlikely to be the chain or cassette but it sounds like they need replacing anyway and its worth doing before your chainrings and jockey wheels also become unuseable.

burko73

Cheers folks. Will replace chain and cassette and have a bit of a session working through things.

burko73

Ali frames seem to really amplify creaks. I’m usually a steelie fan and can live with a quiet cream or two usually but this is driving me mad!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Creaky on one fatty’ is closed to new replies.