Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Creaky noises
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I have a very annoying creak which is getting worse, and seems to be coming from my headset whenever on rough or rocky ground. So far, I have:

removed and refitted handle bars/handlebar clamp
    removed and refitted stem from steerer
    removed forks, greased the steerer, all the bits of the headset and the headset spacers (inc the plastic washer).

The headset is a CK and the fork steerer is slightly scored. It is this which could be responsible? Worth getting a new style top cap for the headet, or just replaced with an FSA/something with tapered wedge fitting? The bearings are still nice and smooth, and the cups are not moving within the frame.

Tempted to buy this if it will fix it!

Cheers!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

In my experience, creak locations are difficult to identify. Check it’s not the front skewer.

Mowgli
    Free Member

20mm Maxle…

smcicr
    Free Member

Probably a bit random and you may well have better hearing than me but I was out on Saturday and had a creak that I first thought was front end, then bottom bracket / cranks area and ultimately turned out to be the seatpost.

As above, creaks are a bvgger to pin down at times – best of luck!

muzzle
    Free Member

I had a creak at the weekend that was absolutely definitely no doubt coming from the front of the bike around the forks. Turns out it was some grit in the seatpost clamp…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. I think I have narrowed it down – it creaks when the seat and seat collar is removed, and when I am not touching the pedals. It is definitely fork/headset based. Have ordered an FSA headset.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Creaky noises’ is closed to new replies.