Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • creaky bike
  • SlowJohn
    Free Member

Theres an annoying creak on my bike and having stripped my bike the only thing i think it might be is the headset its a hope one. Is it possible for my fork to creak as well it only seems to happen when im further over the front of my bike any advice would be appreciated cheers

darrell
    Free Member

dirt in the headset?

grease on the stem needed?

fingerbike
    Free Member

is it a kona?

SlowJohn
    Free Member

are you supposed to grease the stem then?

SlowJohn
    Free Member

no not a kona its definitely the front of the bike its coming from

singlespeedstu

Could be anything.

I’d start with looking at the bar/stem mount. Stem/headset mount.
    Then drop the fork out, clamp the steerer in a vice and pull/push up and down on the fork. Could be fork bushes or even the stantions/ crown bonding creaking.( I’ve had this on Fox and Rock Shox. )

SlowJohn
    Free Member

Ok cheers ill have a go. Are you supposed to grese the steerer where the stem attatches??

AndyA
    Free Member

Had a mystery creak on my own bike which turned out to be the bearings in the suspension. Stuck new bearings in and it’s now silent 🙂
    Maybe worth a look?
    As mentioned above tho, as it’s when you’re over the front of the bike it may be your forks. I know of a few people that’ve had creaky fox/rockshox.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hows it going John? Try the stem where it clamps the bars. Take off the face plate give it a clean and refit. A little bit of grit could have got in and when you leaver on the bars cause creaking.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

Alright Andy ill strip down the front of the bike tonight got a feeling its the forks though. Did you get my message about cannock on tuesday mate

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yea I cant make it tho because I have the bloke coming round to look at my boiler Tuesday afternoon. Just got my new rims to replace the 5.1s after my last trip to the chase. They will be on the bike for next week. Can you make next Thursday?

Gives you a good excuse to buy some pikes or Lyriks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

your not supposed to grease where things clamp (bars/stem etc) but it can help, as well as cleaning out any grit from the clamp area.

Most anyoying one on my bike was the pedal thread, took weeks to isolate that one! little drop of grease, problem solved!

could be the bars about to snap as well……………….. (look for stress marks in the anodising)

SlowJohn
    Free Member

Funny you should say that i just bought some new revelations trouble is i got enuff spare parts now to build another bike 😳 so might have to get a second hand frame if the missus ok,s it 🙂

could be the bars about to snap as well……………….. (look for stress marks in the anodising)

was thinking about that as i had a nasty crash where they got the brunt of it ill check that as well

SlowJohn
    Free Member

probably will be out next thursday mate

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ooh did you get the new 20mm revs? There is a on one summer on the classifides for only £100.

SlowJohn
    Free Member

yeah got the 20mm in silver theyll look good with my frame reasonable price as well

davo
    Free Member

when any of my bikes start creaking they snap about 2 days later 🙁

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nice. You going to have them fitted for our next ride?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘creaky bike’ is closed to new replies.