Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CRC – Cheap WTB tyres – what say you?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

70% discount. ~£20 for a pair!

peteimpreza

Pay with your credit card and let us now how you get on! 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Already cancelled and awaiting a replacement 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

As a matter of fact, I’ve just put a Stout on the front of a build I’m doing, and have a Prowler on the back. I’ve got no bottom bracket though so can’t ride the thing. They seem super grippy though (in a tacky kind of way) so should be good.

Go for it.

vondally
    Free Member

prowler grippy and good traction but a bit slower on road and firetracks, not a bad tyre at all, less fragile then schwable.

bellerophon
    Free Member

My biking buddy has that combo; prowler on the back, stout on the front. Seem good so far.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well I ordered a pair of 2.2 Rubber Queens and am getting tired of waiting and I need a new rear tyre on the FS – The WTBs seem to be a nice pair.

ajantom

Got that exact combo (from CRC too) on the SS.

+ Cheap, grippy, tough, excellent cornering on front, good on wet roots.

– Heavy, quite draggy on road/fire trails, back is not great in really gloppy mud.

DezB
    Free Member

Bought a pair of Prowler SS (2.3s) for the singlespeed, only used the back one (the front Michelin Hot S is 12 years old and won’t die!) and it’s pretty damn good for a £10 tyre. Collects the mud, but still grips like a bastard on everything. Find it pretty fast rolling too as it has a high centre ridge. Definitely good value.

[edit] shortly after the purchase, got a call from HSBC and cancelled my CC due to attempted fraud 😕 )

PJM1974
    Free Member

As a victim of fraud after using my card at CRC, I’d say either pay by other means or wait until the all clear.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just wanted to report back on how I’m getting along with these tyres. Admittedly, the trails have been bone dry so I have no idea how they will behave on slippy stuff. Anyway, they are on my FS bike and I’ve been thrashing down the local DH on them in my usual clumsy manner…

* They feel quite cushioned compared with my usual Maxxis and the volume seems roughly the same as a 2.35 HR.

* They seem happy enough at 30/35psi and to roll quite nicely – no worse than ADvs or HRs, possibly a bit quicker than the HRs

* The profile is rounder and it is noticeable that the bike turns in faster, but the side knobs still feel there and do something.

I’ll report again when I’ve ridden in some slop, but my current opinion is that they seem like a really good buy at the discount price.

stanfree
    Free Member

I bought a pair of 2.3 stouts about 6 weeks ago and they are very good. I normally use Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 but these seem better. I was at an ultra dry Glentress yesterday and didnt wash out once , Also my mate who had conti mountain kings had 4 punctures and I didn’t have any . Though that might have just been luck.

oscarlee
    Free Member

i have the prowler ss front and rear and i have to tell you i have done some serius wet rides in the lakes was a bit dubious at first but they grip like hell can not fault them at all, and my last tyre was maxxis high roller super tacky the prowler grip just as good and the dont feel like im riding through porridge on the road with the prowler great tyre i would say they are as predictable ad kenda nevegal and panaracer rampage

oscarlee
    Free Member

conti mountain kings will kill you

whinosp
    Free Member

Used a WTB Prowler MX Team DH Tyre 2.5 on the front of the DH bike. Steering was errm, erratic . The prowler replaced a WTB Timberwolf which gripped like poo to a blanket. The prowler has now been replaced with a Maxxis Swampthing which grips like poo to a blanket!

I am now saving the unworn Prowler for dusty summer trails on the rear wheel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CRC – Cheap WTB tyres – what say you?’ is closed to new replies.