Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Crazy soviet track frame from the 70's
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Sorry if we all already know about this frame but i’ve never seen it before and was bemused by it so thought I would share… I mean just look where the bars are!! Not the comfiest saddle i’ve ever seen either!

It was designed by a Ukranian bloke for the USSR olympic track cycling team back in the 70’s

http://www.designboom.com/technology/tsubasa-takhion-mass-bicycle-design-project-03-08-2016

fasthaggis

Somebody needs to put the saddle back on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There was a trend for that kind of bike from the eastern block before they were banned. Not seen those bars before though, usually they had pursuit bars mounted on the fork crown.

Somebody needs to put the saddle back on.

No need for a comfy saddle in a 5 minute race, just something to push against. Could be nasty in a crash though.

Or maybe you don’t sit ‘on’ it 😆 In mother Russia you no ride bike, bike rides you, like a $2 ……………

mrblobby
    Free Member

The saddle is different in some of the other photos, two prongs and a little ramp at the back. That would probably work quite well…

Bars look interesting too. Guess the intention is to grip them with your palms facing upwards?

woody2000

That thing would be bloody lethal bouncing down the track after a crash!!

SaxonRider

There was a trend for that kind of bike from the eastern block before they were banned.

Banned for what? Safety reasons? Or performance enhancing design?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Banned for what? Safety reasons? Or performance enhancing design?

Probably the UCI’s stance that bike should look like bikes. Dunno if they’re faster, the trend these days is for higher bars to get the forearms level.

Bars look interesting too. Guess the intention is to grip them with your palms facing upwards?

Guess so, contorting myself here, but it does say it’s designed to tuck the elbows together so I’m thinking straight arms palms up?

nemesis
    Free Member

Interesting bike but the blurb on that link 😯 😆

the advantage of a single-piece carbon fiber made-to-measure frame is that when under the physical pressure during riding occurs, forces don’t resonate at the joints, but instead along the entire frame, helping counter balance under tough torsion conditions

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Confortable for a short while yes but it says in the article it broke the 1hr track record… 1hr on that, no thanks

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

That one is just a modern take/design exercise based on the original.

Which looks almost exactly nothing like the original. At least, not the images I can find.

Some one on retro bike has just finished a restoration of one of the original bikes.

phutphutend

I don’t think it was…

I saw this bike at Bespoked last year. Built by a nice Japanese chap.

dannyh
    Free Member

Stem length is bang on trend with all the cool kids…..

slimjim78
    Free Member

That is clearly Mr Garrison’s time manchine prototype

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Crazy soviet track frame from the 70's’ is closed to new replies.