Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crazy lunchtime thoughts …… Frame modification …….. No spoons content
  • letmetalktomark

So I have a Singular Puffin.

The frame fit and size is about the best I have come across and I love riding it.

Back in the summer I loosely fitted my Knard on a Dually 29er wheel into the Puffin frame to see if a 29er+ conversion may be possible.

The answer was yes and no.

Never designed to fit a 29er+ wheel and as such doesn’t really. A Knard on a Dually fits with maybe 2mm clearance.

On anything other than pavement it would be too risky.

Soooooo

There is a piece of flat plat forming the chainstay bridge with the BB.

Image for reference only ignore the tyre in the pic:

Realistically do people think that halving ( 😯 ) the width of this would create too much flex in the stays causing premature frame failure?

I’m only marginally considering this and know that any mod would invalidate the frames warranty etc.

Anyhoo back to work!

letmetalktomark

Edit >>> Just re read my post from 4 months ago and Sam write:

Sam – Member

They just just just squeeze in there, like you I don’t have a 29+ tyre on a 170mm hub so used the same method to check, mine was maybe a couple of mm clearance, perhaps not even rideable… However there are likely to be small manufacturing variation between frames which could mean some have slightly more clearance than others. It would be possible to take maybe a couple of mm off the chainstay bridge/plate without adversely affecting strength.

tomhoward

Paging Sam, Sam to the forum please.

fatboyjon

Anoyone with such phenomenal shoes, socks and gloves skills as you obviously have will be OK as you disco glide over trail obstacles without enough interaction with the ground to worry about a frame snapping.

EDIT; Please please make my day and confirm that you are in fact wearing white slip-on shoes with cycling socks. Please?

letmetalktomark

fatboyjon – Member

Anoyone with such phenomenal shoes, socks and gloves skills as you obviously have will be OK as you disco glide over trail obstacles without enough interaction with the ground to worry about a frame snapping.

Eh?

chambord
    Free Member

Eh?

I think he’s dissin u bro

fatboyjon

Not at all, I’d doff my flat cap to anyone with the nerve to carry off the shoe/sock combo he appears to be wearing. I wish I’d dare.

letmetalktomark

chambord – Member

Eh?

I think he’s dissin u bro

😆

fatboyjon – Member

Not at all, I’d doff my flat cap to anyone with the nerve to carry off the shoe/sock combo he appears to be wearing. I wish I’d dare.

Quoi? 😯

I think its funny from a chap who works at a bike shop too seemingly showing a great lack of understanding for folk wanting to deviate from the norm 😆

* I say works at as it couldn’t possibly be the owner posting such silly things 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crazy lunchtime thoughts …… Frame modification …….. No spoons content’ is closed to new replies.