Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Crap Riders & Niche Bikes
  • simply_oli_y
    Free Member

too generous cynic-al

Smee
    Free Member

Way too generous.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Most folk on non-niche bikes are very average.

Shhhhhh……..there seems to be some sort of sound coming from your arse!? Sounds like someone talking.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Its only a **** bike and as Lance said, its not about the bike.
    Good riders would probably be good on any bike.
    Of course there does appear to be a number of people who believe they can buy themselves into being a better rider but I’d suggest a rigid singlespeed isn’t the route they often take.

mick_r

Depends on your definition of niche I guess….

“Now I’m not saying that everyone has to be a riding god to get any enjoyment from mtbing – I’m sure even the most basic riders have a lot of fun on their bikes…

However, it strikes me that some ‘lesser skilled’ riders use their niche bike as an excuse for their crapness.

For example; a 7″ full sus bike is never going to be any good as a mountain bike, so no-one expects its rider to go anywhere particularly quickly (well maybe across a massive boulder field). Therefore the bike can effectively be blamed for the rider’s poor performance. Add 10lbs of weight, a chain device or some stupid bars & you have an even more unusable contraption – then everyone applauds you for just making it up the trail & your mincing goes unnoticed.

A bit scared of that tight, exposed switchback? Get flat pedals & no-one will see your sneaky dabs and fear of being clipped in.

Can’t do drops? Then add multiple inches of suspension travel & you’ll have a great excuse not to learn the repercussions of a bad landing.

You can see where I’m going with this…”

😀

Beagleboy

I think that ‘niche’ bikes are specifically designed for better riders and mtb gods. That’s why mine has been trying to kill me for the last 3 years now, she’s completely disgusted in my lack of anything approaching ability! 8)

jedi

it dont matter what or how you ride,it only matters that you do! 🙂

MRB
    Free Member

I’m sure even the most basic riders have a lot of fun on their bikes…

Hmmmm – did you mean to sound so unbelievably patronising, I wonder?

Mike – a “basic” rider who has a lot of fun on his bike, thanks,

snakebite
    Free Member

I’ would like to know what bike(s) this jclaw fella rides. He sounds like a student to me.

scruff
    Free Member

J-Claw has made a few good points, to clarify the subsequent STW frequent posters reactions-

Getting a big stupid front wheel but no suspension forks so its like riding a barge, avoid any tight trails.
    Take your gears off then be unable to ride muddy steep hills. Or long flat sections. Or DHs.
    Take your SS off and make a fixie, its utter w4nk but its good for trackstands outside a whiskey distillery.
    Buy really light equipment then act surprised when it breaks, or is expensive to replace.
    Getting a two stupid big wheels but no suspension so its like riding a massive barge, avoid any tight trails.
    Put stupid handlebars on that defy convention, just so you have somewhere to rest your beard, which you grew so you can look like your shed dwelling mentor (whose probably a millionaire btw , his shed is built of Faberge eggs & lined with mink, his beard is clip-on like Lego hair )

1 photo has been offered to counter claim, it’s a small steep drop liek those which I used to ride when I was 9 on my Team Murray. Weak as rescued from the canal kittens.

ski
    Free Member

I don’t understand this anti bike rivalry bollox, all bikes are good……….

ton

i like niche bikes, i like to buy niche bikes and sell them if i do not get on with them.
    i think the people who moan/condem/take the pis5 out of nicheness are probably people who would like to try them but are not in the situation financialy to do it.
    how boring it must be to have to ride the same boring bike for the rest of your days.
    bit like eating toast for every single meal for ever…. 😆

MrAgreeable

Terrible, terrible troll. Scruff is way better at this sort of thing, and he’s barely literate. 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

does he actually mean being a niche rider on a crap bike?

hillsplease

Bikes are ace. I am hopeless. But happy. It’s all good. Yes?

ton

deffo

scruff
    Free Member

To be fair, J-claw is the best rider out of out extended Local Kruw, apart from Walleater who is more betteriest. (J-Claw doesnt live in the UK anymore btw, hes now atShimano skunk works , based in California, just so you know)

ton

To be fair, J-claw is the best rider out of out extended Local Kruw, apart from Walleater who is more betteriest. (J-

all the more reason he should not condem/take the pi5s out of lesser riders.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

i think the people who moan/condem/take the pis5 out of nicheness are probably people who would like to try them but are not in the situation financialy to do it.

Woah there, when did ‘nicheness’ become something to do with expense?

Weren’t old Kona hardtails converted to singlespeed with some brazed on track ends considered ‘niche’ a few years back?

Didn’t some people consider On-One Inbreds ‘niche’, before hoards of tightwads realised they were pretty good value bikes?

Lets not confuse cost and niche. Yes they can applied together for some products but they can also be applied on their own.

ton

sootyandjim
    i was thinking jones stuff, custom ss and 29r frames….
    sorry..

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Ah, a select group of niche products to match a POV, I see.

Don’t be sorry, apologising isn’t the STW way.

😉

mema
    Free Member

Im a crap rider but I have a really nice bike!

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Its a quiet day in the shop* so I’ll pull up a chair and watch 🙂

SSP

*Gold Cup day…

djglover
    Free Member

1 photo has been offered to counter claim, it’s a small steep drop liek those which I used to ride when I was 9 on my Team Murray. Weak as rescued from the canal kittens.

From what I can gather from so far Niche bikes are mainly ridden over smooth cheeky trails, also known as foot paths, in areas lacking in any technical terrain, or leant up against garden Fences on Barrat estates, so not supprising there is little evidence out there to support the counter claim.

stumpy01

Erm….what is a niche bike?

Is it one that is over-priced so most people don’t buy it because it is expensive for what it is?

I honestly don’t understand the phrase ‘niche bike’.

djglover
    Free Member

read scruffs post then

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

read scruffs post then

He really is quite bitter about something, possibly that others are having more fun than him 🙂

Big wheels, drop bars, fixed, canti brake, water bottles and seat pack, Brooks saddle, custom frame from a bloke with a beard.

BINGO!

SSP

molgrips
    Free Member

inglespeeders* who absofugginlutely whipped my ass on a daily basis on big alpine descents, SS does have it’s points)

That could possibly have happened regardless of the number of gears involved 🙂

jfeb
    Free Member

I see it in reverse to the OP.

I often ride pretty crap trails with few drops, jumps, rocks, steep sections etc so riding a rigid 29er makes the trails more interesting.

On days when I do ride trails with more of the above I tend to ride my FS 26er.

The “niche” bike doesn’t disguise the fact that I am crap, it is just more appropriate (and more fun) for the trails.

speaker2animals

I’m moving into a whole new niche, I may even do a Gary Fisher and claim to invent it.

The idea is simple, flog my bikes and thus enter the niche of “No Bike (NB)”. If that doesn’t cover up my total crapness then I may have to give up cycling totally.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Good riders would probably be good on any bike.

it dont matter what or how you ride,it only matters that you do!

Those two statements sort of sum it all up, really.

Me, I just ride the bikes I’ve got. and enjoy it. What has made me a better rider is not the bike I’m riding, it’s watching people I ride with, learning from those with more skills. Getting tips on how to do stuff.

I thought I’d give SS a go, last summer, as I had a spare frame and some bits. SS makes perfect sense for riding round town, but how would it translate to off-road duties? Well, it does require a little more effort, speshly on climbs. But for the sort of Soft Southern Shandy Drinking riding I do, it’s mostly fine. What I found, was that not having gears to click through made me adjust my riding style a bit, and try to maintain momentum, to carry me over and around stuff. I found my pedalling technique improved. And it does help to build strength.

So, trying something ‘niche’ has had a positive benefit. I started off on a fully rigid, nose down bum in the air bike, and enjoyed the riding. Has starting off on equipment technically inferior for the purpose given me an advantage? I don’t know. Bikes like that weren’t ‘niche’, back then. Advances such as better brakes, suspension etc have made it easier to tackle tricky/bumpy stuff, granted. But they jolly well have not made me a ‘better’ rider.

I tried a full susser for the first time, recently. A proper ride, not just a pavement test that I’d been limited to before. All I found was that the bike was more comfy; it diddunt make me go any faster, or suddenly be able to do stuff I haddunt before. I woon’t mind owning one, though.

I think, for some people, ‘nicheness’ is an aside to actual riding. Some seem to ‘need’ a bike that is rarer than everyone else’s, well, up to them. Stuff like Jones bikes are interesting, but I personally can’t see why I’d want to buy one. If they were radically better than other designs, surely every manufacturer would have a version?

And what defines something as ‘niche’? It’s scarcity? Radical design? Singular purpose?

Is my Rock lobster 853 more ‘niche’ than my Cannondale? Is my Rossin road bike more ‘niche’ than a Spesh or a Trek?

I don’t really care; they’re all great fun to ride!

scruff
    Free Member

SSP, better bitter than biter ➡

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Good fishing trip there Scruff. Thats a keeper.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Scruff,

I was looking for a pic of the BIG PINK SOLITUDE to try and rouse JoB in to action 🙂 Sadly my monster bike was all I had to hand 🙂

So you admit you are bitter? I had you down as more of a shandy man.

SSP

singlespeedstu

looks like another “Friday Special” from the man Scruff.

miketually
    Free Member

I was looking for a pic of the BIG PINK SOLITUDE to try and rouse JoB in to action

🙂

snakebite
    Free Member

scruffs idea of a Friday special is a triple egg an bacon fri up in the canteen followed by a Fri utube blocker. Thats special.

samuri
    Free Member

Anyone who has to buy gears or suspension must be rubbish, why else would they buy them?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Anyone who has to buy gears or suspension must be rubbish, why else would they buy them?

because they don’t want to be like you?

miketually
    Free Member

because they don’t want to be like you?

But everyone wants to be like samuri!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Crap Riders & Niche Bikes’ is closed to new replies.