Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • crap clothes sizing (howies).
  • ton

since when as a xl (EXTRA LARGE) man had a 42” chest?

where do they get it from? surely a xl man has a 46/48 chest and a xxl man a 52/54 chest.

scc999

So what sized chest do you think a Med should be? Or a small?

I generally have to get men’s Sm clothes. Which is odd as I’m 5ft 8 and not what I’d describe as slim.

I know plenty of men that are smaller than me and some of them struggle to get clothes that fit properly “off the peg”.

This isn’t America so we shouldn’t try to flatter people into thinking they aren’t “large” by mis-sizing clothes.

pictonroad

I’m with you, how hard would it be to standardise sizes?

metalheart
    Free Member

Basically XL now is vanity sizing.

30 odd years (and 5 stone less) I wore XL tops (broad shoulders, L wouldn’t allow free enough movement).

I still wear XL but it’s a size bigger.

I blame the ‘mirkins…

eddie11
    Free Member

Howies sizing is all over the place but normally runs massively large these days. Weird for an outdoor brand.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was tempted by their black hooped top and tights and was amused at the size guiding too!! 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

i wont risk buying if size guides are crap though – watches this thread with interest…

honourablegeorge

THey’re pretty clear on their size guide. 44ish would be a typical XL for most of the brands I buy from, so howies are maybe a notch smaller

PMK2060

I have to admit clothes sizing is a nightmare when buying online and I have started to just buy in an actual store. I am size large in Howies and DHB but a size large in Keela is huge. You cannot base your choice on customer reviews either as I have read true to size, size up and size down for the same garment.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

But is it reliable?

Happy to order a L, sorry XL 😉

letmetalktomark

Just my 2cents ….

Their sizing has changed and it’s not hugely consistent across the range.

I’ve t shirts of their that are 15 years old and a L that still have their shape and fit well.

Their newer stuff, last five years, has sized up in a very odd way. I’m about the same shape and a L tshirt is too short and a bit tight, an XL has a neck hole that’s huge.

My current go to cycling jersey is one of their merino ones and is an XL and the fit is great.

Pot luck?

The last items all went back 🙁

A 42″ chest in my world is a L

scotroutes

surely a xl man has a 46/48 chest and a xxl man a 52/54 chest.

What if you’ve a 50″ chest?

ton

my showers pass waterproof is a xxxl which fits me at 52”
    my north face soft shell is a xxl which fits too.

edhornby

I bought jeans and baselayers from a sample sale and they were quite accurate size. The 32 waist was actually 32 but the baselayers aren’t super snug which is ok even though I have a slim chest

fifeandy
    Free Member

42 sounds like xl to me

S-36
    M-38
    L-40
    XL-42

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m confused. Is this a large problem or a small problem?

ton

fifeandy – Member
    42 sounds like xl to me

S-36
    M-38
    L-40
    XL-42

xxl-44
    xxxl-46
    xxxxl-48
    xxxxxl-50
    xxxxxxl-52

xanboy
    Free Member

I’m a large across the board in Howies, 5’11, 34 inch waist, 40-41 inch chest. I can wear their medium stuff but it’s a bit snug, if you go to say north face I’m a medium all the way, large is massive on me. Most of my running kit is Salomon and it’s all large. It depends on the company but to say it’s crap sizing is pretty harsh, you could look at Castelli and you’d be in double or triple XL.

justinbieber

Their sizing is all over the place, and has been for a while. I’ve bought mediums and larges that fitted perfectly and larges that were too small. Trousers and Jeans, I’ve had 32’s that were too tight, perfect and absolutely huge. I’ve kind of given up on them for anything other than their merino, and even then only when it’s in the sale.

I think they were great before they sold out to Timberland, lost their way and have not had decent direction since they bought the company back. Which is a shame because I used to live in their clothes and if I could guarantee decent sizing then I still would.

traildog
    Free Member

Years back, when Howies first started I used to wear their Large which was fashionably a little big on me but that’s what I wore when I was young. Nowadays Medium is silly big on me and Small sort of fits but sometimes the shoulders are a bit small on the T-shirts. The clothes are not very fitted and allow plenty of belly room, which is odd on an outdoor brand.

Howies sizing is very hit or miss across the various items of clothes. I would say their sizing ideas on the website aren’t always that accurate and if you think you’re usually XL then try it. Mail order clothes often need a bit of sending back…

BadlyWiredDog

I’m with you, how hard would it be to standardise sizes?

There is a European standard apparently, but everyone ignores it. Other complications are that different brands scale their designs according to different standards, so the original garment might be designed around a medium then adapted in pre-determined, but varying steps to make other sizes.

But ultimately it’s like shoes, you need to find a brand which has a block that fits your body shape well. Easier if the brand has a consistent fit though.

BadlyWiredDog

The clothes are not very fitted and allow plenty of belly room, which is odd on an outdoor brand.

It’s not really an outdoor brand though. Is has an outdoorsy sort of vibe, but essentially it’s casual clothing with a bit of outdoor technology thrown in for good measure.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Howies sizing is all over the place but normally runs massively large these days. Weird for an outdoor brand.

I’d go the other way. I’m normally a howies medium, but the Dyfi jacket came up very small.

fergal
    Free Member

i’m 5.11 with the body of a greek god and in some brands i am a small now? used to be Large.

iainc

I find it frustrating also that once an item goes out of stock, that’s it, with no restocking happening. I bought a pair of their stretch chino things back in the Spring, liked them so went to order same size in another colour to find them out of stock. They are still out of stock… Weird business model.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They are still out of stock… Weird business model.

Not really. They do seasonal ranges. They buy in X amount, and when it sells out it’s gone. They’re a small company with limited storage and are probably working 12-18 months in advance. The only items I see not in this model are the cycling shorts (which do get updated with each new order) and the jeans (the same).

Bimbler
    Free Member

42 is XL in Italy (Europe?), 42 has been L in England since I can remember – source am 42″

M&S sizing

Size XS S M L XL XXL XXXL
    Neck 14 14.5-15 15.5-16 16.5-17 17.5-18 18.5-19 19.5-20
    Chest 32-34 35-37 38-40 41-43 44-46 47-49 50-52

ransos
    Free Member

I bought a Howies Leon waterproof jacket in the Black Friday sale half-price. It’s quite nicely made, but the sizing is definitely odd: too short in the arms which is a problem I haven’t had before, and I’m pretty sure my arms haven’t grown.

Overall, it’s not as good a jacket as the Rab waterproof that preceded it, and I certainly wouldn’t pay £175 for one.

soulrider
    Free Member

I have a howies hoody, the main body fits me perfect, but the arms are way too short…

bizarre
    My wifes zipped hoody by howies is spot on???

bonesetter
    Free Member

They don’t still make many 52″ er’s ? Seven foot bean poles maybe, but rare are those barrel chests

I bet you could do this ton:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhxCBBqUNA[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

Apart from one T-shirt that was too short, all my medium Howies stuff has been a good fit.

Maybe they just don’t cater for XXL/XXXL guys? Like smaller bike brands who only do S/M/L frames.

jeffl

Don’t get me started. I’m fairly tall at 6’5″ have a 42″ chest and 34″ waist. I generally have to size up to ensure that legs are long enough or arms are long enough, which normally leaves me with a massively baggy top around my torso. If I get stuff to fit my torso/waist then the legs or arms are generally too short. Grrrr.

benp1

Sizing can be strange there. I’m a medium in their tops, but some of them size up slightly big. Their large was particularly baggy, more like an XL I found

Their trousers size up better

ransos
    Free Member

Maybe they just don’t cater for XXL/XXXL guys? Like smaller bike brands who only do S/M/L frames.

I’m a medium. My jacket fits fine across the chest, but is too short in the arms.

jimmy

It seems to me Howies sizing is for skinny tall hipsters. Their small T-Shirts are the right length for me but always tight around the ‘pits. Medium feels like wearing my Dad’s T-shirt as a kid – swamps me.

EDIT (Usually a small elsewhere)

theteaboy
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of Howies trousers – the same style but different colours – in different sizes (both waist and leg).

Measuring them, they’re almost exactly the same!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m fairly tall at 6’5″ have a 42″ chest and 34″ waist. I generally have to size up to ensure that legs are long enough or arms are long enough, which normally leaves me with a massively baggy top around my torso.

You’re just a weird shape. 😉

ferrousandy
    Free Member

Agreed Howies are a bit odd. I shouldn’t fit in their XL as I have a 45″ barrel for a chest,, yet most of my T shirts are Large and the (1/2 price) Leon jacket that should be 42 XL fits spot on for a slimmer cut cycling jacket. Who knows?!

andykirk
    Free Member

There was a time 15 years ago when XL was actually XL.

Clothes generally have got a lot smaller since males have thought it cool to wear tighter fitting items. This is still not cool, and I hope the baggy days return soon, which they will. I went to my local gym the other week just for a run on the treadmill. It was full of teenage men admiring themselves in the mirrors. WTF?? Why aren’t they out vandalising phone boxes and drinking Woodpecker? The media has a lot to answer for.

Howies sizing is totally messed up. XL is L. Shame as they make some nice clothes.

Can we do a separate thread about suitable punishment for popped collar wearers please?

pictonroad

If anyone reading this has any unworn Howies M/L 3/4 bibs then I’d love another pair. They’ve stopped making them. The dyfi jacket too, probably my favourite top.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘crap clothes sizing (howies).’ is closed to new replies.