Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Crankset advice
  • ebennett

I’ve currently got a SRAM GXP s1000 crankset (this, basically)) and finding a replacement outer ring is a bit of a pain.

I can get a Shimano XT crankset to replace it for pretty much the same price as replacing both rings, so would it be worth it? Is the XT an upgrade or would I be pretty much replacing like for like?

devash
    Free Member

XT cranks are great. Even an SLX crank would be a good bet as there’s not much weight difference. XT does look nicer though.

theotherjonv

S1000 is X5 level, iirc, so broadly Deore level. An XT would be a significant upgrade, but i’d save a bit of money and go SLX anyway.

rhayter

There are few truisms in mountain biking these days. One of the few is “You can’t go wrong with an XT chainset”. Buy.

ebennett

Thanks all, think I’ll get it and just run the old crankset into the ground then replace!

ebennett

Would I also have to change my front derailleur (SRAM X5) or will it be fine with the change in crankset? It’ll be going from 34/22 to 38/24.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you’ll need a HT2 BB too, don’t forget.

ebennett

Thanks, the BB is included with the crankset so should be fine.

medoramas
    Free Member

This Deore looks fantastic (THE PRICE!).

ben98
    Free Member

The SLX crank without rings is the same weight as the XT without rings, and they come with the same bottom bracket, buy the SLX one 😀

ben98
    Free Member

This Deore looks fantastic (THE PRICE!).

Doesn’t come with a bottom bracket, which adds a chunk of money.

ebennett

Good point, the SLX one might be a better shout!

scandal42
    Free Member

Selling a great condition SLX crankset if interested

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Crankset advice’ is closed to new replies.