Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crank too close on Kona Process
  • neenan1
    Free Member

Hi all

My non drive side/left crack is very close to the swing arm.

Can I simply use a BB Spacer to move it out, or will that cause the crank to be to tight against the bearing. The cranks feel seated correctly I.e. No side ways movement at the moment.

granny_ring

Don’t see why you can’t fit a spacer.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t quite see what cranks they are, but a spacer will take up axle space, so the crank won’t bear on the axle properly, may all go solid when you tighten the crank.

I’d be looking at why it’s like that.

mtbfix

How close does the drive crank sit? If it’s further out you might try switching the spacers to even out the gaps.

And clean your bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Press fit innit. No spacers to swap?

konanige

I would say if its all original equipment and you haven’t changed anything don’t worry about it, my chain is about one squillianth of a millimetre from my chainstay by cassette and its never been an issue, the ‘engineers’ are paid to sweat the details!

matt_outandabout

I just refitted a Shimano press fit with spacer on ‘wrong’ side, to solve a front mech (bolt on) shifting problem. The crank is now close to stay, but chain line and shifting are spot on…

Superficial
    Free Member

That does look a bit too close for comfort. Cranks (and chainstays for that matter) do flex a significant amount under load. It’s probably fine but I’d at the very least try and see what another Process with the same crankset looks like.

It may be that the splines on your crank are machined a bit deep so the crank sits closer to the inside than it usually would.

damascus
    Free Member

What cranks are they? Google the q factor of cranks.

I had this problem on my kinesis tripster with some rival cranks. They didn’t touch when I built it but they would when under pressure. I swopped them for some xt cranks.

I think xt has a 168 q factor??? From memory.

But just remember that changing your cranks can affect your chain line.

Have the cranks scored the frame? If they haven’t I wouldn’t worry about it.

kimbers

my 153, with slx cranks has a bit more clearance

the bank end is very wide and stiff, I cant see that deflecting much, but the stock sram cranks mine came with did flex a bit, never enough to contact the chainstay though

if theres no marks on either, i wouldnt worry

neenan1
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses and yes the bike needs a clean :). Pic was taken after getting back from Surrey Hills.

The cranks are: cranks

They have nicked the rear arm slightly which is anoyying

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crank too close on Kona Process’ is closed to new replies.