Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Crank question
  • pembo6
    Free Member

What is the difference between an 8 speed crank and a 9 sped crank?

Yes, I know there is no such thing as an 8/9 speed crank, but I am talking about the ones that say they are specifically for an 8 or 9 speed drivetrain.

Is the spacing between chainwheels different? Are the chainwheels thinner ? Or are they exactly the same.

I guess what I am asking is…… Will a triple crankset with the shimano “mega 9” sticker knot, work ok with a 9 speed drivetrain? Or is it somehow specifically designed for 9 speed??

Thanks.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

IIRC the chain rings are ever so slightly thinner, but go and have a read of the late Sheldon Brown’s website, he covers it there.

I guess what I am asking is…… Will a triple crankset with the shimano “mega 9” sticker knot, work ok with a 9 speed drivetrain?

I guess that’s not what your are asking! I think you want to know whether a 9-speed crankset will work with an 8-speed drivetrain. Yes.

pembo6
    Free Member

Thanks tucker. I read the info on Sheldon Browns site earlier today. But then I read on a Shimano tech doc that I need to use a 9 speed crankset when using their 9 speed rear derailleur or it wont shift properly. Probably must the manufacturers way of getting u to buy more gear??

br
    Free Member

PSA Shimano LX HT2 triple 9-spd chainset + BB for £50 on Merlin at the mo.

No brainer for me as I’ve just trashed my XTR crankset and whipped the XT one off my sons bike – he’ll be getting the LX 🙂

pembo6
    Free Member

Thanks. lready got my eye on that one. But will it work with 8 speed drivetrain?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You might want to note the number of people having issues with HT2, against the number that use Octalink. True, only Octalink Deore are still available new (although a couple of new XT on Ebay).

Northwind

pembo6 – Member

Thanks tucker. I read the info on Sheldon Browns site earlier today. But then I read on a Shimano tech doc that I need to use a 9 speed crankset when using their 9 speed rear derailleur or it wont shift properly.

Shimano say things like this quite a lot- pretty sure they say the same about 9 and 10 speed. They also said 9-speed mechs couldn’t possibly do 36T, until they wanted to sell a 36T cassette at which point it became fine 😉 Shimano tech docs are sometimes an extension of their marketing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Crank question’ is closed to new replies.