Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Crank Brothers – Absolutely Sh1te !
  • mrl

2 pairs of eggbeaters. The cheap chrome ones on my wife’s bike look a bit scuffed but they are 4 years old. The stainless ones i have are 2002/03 I think and have had one bearing change. They were on my only mtb which also served as a commuter so did (stopped using it for commuting in December) at least 50miles a week for years. Add new grease about once a year or if they start squeaking. So I reckon a good product.

I think I ought to mention that, despite my criticisms, I still use Eggbeaters, I've just come to accept their limitations.
    I've given up any ambitions of riding a proper downhill track. For normal XC riding, with at least one wheel on the ground at all times, they seem reliable enough with regular greasing.

There was a comment earlier in this thread about regreasing them via the end cap.
    The outer bearing has got two rubber seals, so any grease applied while the pedal is assembled won't get past the first seal to the bearings.
    CBs current advice is to dismantle the pedal and grease the inner bush manually and rely on the outer bearing being sealed for life.
    My method is to prise the rubber seals out of the bearing, fill the end of the pedal and the end cap with grease, then slowly screw the cap on.
    This works like an old fashioned grease cup.
    It might take two or three goes, but you will see the new clean grease pushing the old dirty stuff out past the seal.

2pure
    Free Member

Hi Graham,

As we mentioned to you please do not remove the seals from the sealed bearings to apply grease.

Thanks
    ran@2pure

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Crank Brothers – Absolutely Sh1te !’ is closed to new replies.