Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • crank brother pedal
  • juan
    Free Member

They could save some weight over shimano. Are they worth looking at?

trevron73
    Free Member

I have a pair of mallet DH ,had them 18 months and no worries with play or wear. I have a lot of crank products,
    Dropper , saddle , wheels , split sqewers, stem , and pedals. forget the horror stories ? All products can wear or fail . The wheels went back for upgrade as did the dropper but all is fine since .I love Crank brothers . My bike not only feels great but many riders tell me she looks great too.

kimbers

The newer models are better but have to change bearings once a year or so

Cleats wear a bit quickly too

All that said I think her are ace, low profile, good sized platform and work very well in the mud

juan
    Free Member

well to be honest, the mud isn’t going to be an issue here (south of France rider)

More interested in the weight to price ratio of the candy. In blue…

bruceonabike
    Free Member

fwiw clipping in/out is easier with CB imo

scotroutes

Avoid the Polycarbonate ones.

winston
    Free Member

Used candy’s for 10 years or so. TBH they hit the sweet spot of weight v price v longevity about 5-6 years ago with the SL and its been downhill (no pun intended) since then with the 1,2,3 redesign

Its all about float – you don’t like float you won’t like candys. They never get clogged, they last well enough and the platform is just the right size for me. Clipping in and out is a breeze even in mud but they have a real ‘barely connected’ feel that is different to SPD’s and many people don’t like that.

Del

time

juan
    Free Member

Winston, what do you mean by a “barely connected Feeling”?
    Cheers.

onehundredthidiot

I like the candy 3. I know I’m clipped in because when I pull up the pedal comes up but there’s enough float for it to feel as though I’m not bolted to the pedal. The candy 3 that I have get a squidge of grease through them every so often, it’s amazing how much Manny water comes out.

annonimice12
    Free Member

you’ll either love them or not. I have them on all my bikes and love them. They have more float than spd’s, weigh a lot less, the bearings can be replaced and as others have said do need replacing. easy enough job. and yes the cleats wear quicker. a few years ago they had an issue with the spring retention but they had a warranty replacement and i havent heard the problem is still around on the newer ones.

AlexSimon

I’ve used them for the last 10 years.
    Really get on well with them, even though I’ve witnessed the rest of our group give them a go and return to Shimano.

They used to be really nice to rebuild, but I haven’t had any luck with the Egbbeater 1 model – it just doesn’t seem to go together as well.

Del

eggbeaters rely on seals to keep the retention system and bearings separate from the outside world. when the seals go ( not easily replaced and not considered user serviceable as it requires taking the whole pedal apart ) the servicing requirement goes up, as the interior of the pedal is then exposed.
    times have the retention mechanism on the outside of the pedal. happy time user having been a CB user, no bearings have needed to be replaced in 4 or 5 years. have had bearings collapse on CB ( which to be fair i had probably left too long ), meaning pedal comes off axle, but also snapped an axle in half while pedaling up a hill – no warning, pedals were otherwise in good shape.
    pays yer money….

marthall
    Free Member

CB on all my bikes… including road.

Got eggbeaters, candy and DH. DH are my favourite all rounders, good when not clipped in, large platform for my fat feet… never had a problem with any of them.

They have more play than Shimano, and LOADS more than Time, but that suits me!

RustyMac

I have candy 3’s on 1 of my bikes, liked them so much just bought a secondhand pair for my road bike.

The secondhand pair have been pretty abused and need a big overhaul however i picked them up cheap enought that i am not botherd. New chromo spindles can be got for £12-15 and the service kit including all bearings, spacers, seals and a drift for knocking out the needle bearing is only £12-14.

Having sripped the secondhand ones down it is not a difficult process and there are good ervice videos on youtube.

I have deceded to upgrade the spindles to some aftermarket titanium ones that were £40, granted a little spendy however one of the spindles needed replacing any way.

winston
    Free Member

juan, I mean that as well as increased side to side movement over spds you also have slight up and down movement as well, especially as the cleats wear It can be disconcerting at first but in 10 years and thousands of miles I’ve never come unclipped by accident except when a pedal failed (that spring retention issue above). I have a dodgy knee as well that doesn’t like sideways pressure so they seem to help with that too.

Sundayjumper

I had (well, still do, in the spares box) a few pairs of eggbeaters. I like the design and I like how they work but using a bush instead of a proper bearing is daft and they ALWAYS have play in them. So I’m back to Shimano.

andylc
    Free Member

I used them for several years and thought they were fine, but decided to get some Shimano SPDs again and having gone back I think the clip in and out with Shimano is much more positive. Also the ability to change the release pressure is useful – I like to set SPDs to come off really easily, but with CB pedals the only option you have is to turn the cleat around, which allows two settings: stiff and not so stiff.

mtbscoop
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for several years too, and the earlier models needed a fair bit of TLC/Rebuild (which wasn’t difficult). I’ve had the new DH Mallets for over a year now, and they’ve been trouble free, not had to touch them at all. Looking to get another set for my hard tail.

I’ve also got Candy’s on my non-mountain bike (road bike) and they’ve been fine too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘crank brother pedal’ is closed to new replies.