Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Crank Bros. Mallet alternative?
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I really fancy some big bodied clippy inny pedals but I've heard bad things said about the reliability of Mallets. What good alternatives are there? Something a bit cheaper than Mallets wouldn't go amiss…
    Cheers.

jfeb
    Free Member
    argyle
    Free Member

my mallets (new style ones)are great, don't believe everything you read on the internet

kimbers

i love my mallets very low profile and plenty tough

to make sure i change my bearings once a year

ive been riding on some acids lately and have been very impressed with them

ajantom

I must be uber lucky then, my mallets from mid-2007 are still going strong on 2-3 rides a week.

Must say that the new shape ones with the pins look like they'd give better grip though.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have the Time Z Controls in a nice mucky brown colour. They are good pedals although it took me a bit of time to get used to having to twist your foot further than with the Malets to get your foot out. I did have some 661 shoes but they seemed a little to flexy to get out of the pedals quickly.

I had a pair of Malets, they lasted about 2 years. Merida last year they decided they'd had enough and the body came away from the axle leaving 75km on one pedal and one spindle – they're held together with a tiny little 8mm (I think) bolt which the body had worked it's way over. I won't be getting them again.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

whippersnapper, was it Ruthin? I was the other Mallet user who lent you the tiny pliers in an attempt to get them to hold together for a bit longer if it was. If that was you then your mates kind of suggested your pedals might have been playing up a bit before they went? Rebuilt mine recently, easy job but it does need doing. The little nut holds the bearing but if the bearing totally collapses then the body will come over the nut.

STATO
    Free Member

Merida last year they decided they'd had enough and the body came away from the axle leaving 75km on one pedal and one spindle

The thing is you can tell when they are going to go as they have loads of play at the bearing end. A simple service (and maybe a new bearing if needed) will prolong their life a lot longer.

Ive got 2 sets of old mallets, find them much better than z-control or shimano DX ones as they are properly flat, rather than an spd with a cage, so give great support for DH stuff. Not sure about the new ones, im worried the pins would catch the tread meaning it'd be hard to unclip, i dont need the 'extra grip' im clipped in!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

It certainly was Ruthin, cheers for the pliers :-). I tried everything to get the body to stay on but nothing would work. We rolled in pretty much last because of that pedal.

I would have serviced them if I thought something was up but from what I can remember they didn't have any play in them at all.

jonb
    Free Member

I had some mallets that the spring broke on. Never thought much of them, always needed servicing,put me off crank brothers stuff for a long time. Looks nice but breaks easily.

Shimano do some platform spds, as do wellgo. I went the whole way and just ended up riding platform with no spd.

AndyBurns
    Free Member

I got some mallets back in 05 or 06. They're nice, but regular servicing is a must. Last time I replaced the bearings – which is a little fiddly at the best of times – I noticed the remains of a couple of little rubber seals in all the gunk I was clearing out. When I repacked them, grease then came out near the base of the metal cylinder that runs through the eggbeater. That never happened before. Guess they're on the way out.

I loved 'em, but their reliability has put me off.

GSter
    Free Member

I loved my Mallets, but wanted something a bit different.
    Been riding Look Quartz all of this year and love them more than my Mallets.

Personal choice and maybe not everyone's choice, but for me they work better. I think they may be a little lighter and cheaper too.

GSter
    Free Member

I loved my Mallets, but wanted something a bit different.
    Been riding Look Quartz all of this year and love them more than my Mallets.

Personal choice and maybe not everyone's choice, but for me they work better. I think they may be a little lighter and cheaper too.

Had some reliability issues with the Mallets, but no issues with the Looks so far

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros. Mallet alternative?’ is closed to new replies.