Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crank Bros Iodine XD conversion problem
  • davidxbrown
    Free Member

The wheelset was set up for Shimano 142 but with a change of bikes need to convert to SRAM, basically the 142 maxle does not go through the XD specific end cap, it gets about half way then stops against an internal shoulder.

Anyone else had this happen? Am I missing something obvious?

i reckon the quick fix is to simply pop it on a lathe and drill or turn out the internal shoulder, I’m wondering if it’s just simply a machining fault?

johnw1984
    Free Member

What brand of axle is it? Wonder if it needs to be a Sram maxle to go through?

davidxbrown
    Free Member

It’s a Formula QR12E similar to this

http://www.formulahubs.com/products_p01.php?id=30&pid=10&sid=20

It would need a smaller dia thread after the shoulder to go through which in turn would require a different dropout fitting in the frame. Evil Following ….

The wheel fits fine in the frame with the new adapters, except the maxle can’t get through

johnw1984
    Free Member

That’s a bugger 🙁

Wonder if Evil or Crank Bros know of an incompatibility issue?

davidxbrown
    Free Member

The CB endcap for Shimano freehub is fine in that Maxle passes through.

Have sent an email off the CB to ask if it is a machining fault, but in the meantime im going to just simply turn out the offending internal shoulder so I can use the wheel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Called the UK importer?

davidxbrown
    Free Member

No reply from CB, slightly academic now as a little machining removed the shoulder 😀

Wheels now on the bike, had to adjust the stops on the mech which I wasn’t expecting and good to go 😀 well it would be if it wasn’t raining!

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Just to update after exchanging a couple of emails with CB concluded that it was a component issue not previously see from that batch 🙂

I wonder how many more are out there as I should imagine there machined in significant quantity on a CNC Bar feed… !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Iodine XD conversion problem’ is closed to new replies.