Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Crank Bros Egg beaters "v" Shimano SPD pedals.
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

After the right Egg beater lost it's battle with my spindle last w/end & fled for ever, do I
    1) buy another set of Egg beaters?
    or
    2) dig out a set of never-yet-used XTR SPD pedals, for which I'll only require the cleats?

My other bike has Crank Bros Candies and both sets of shoes are cleated up for Crank Bros pedals.

Am I correct in saying that the SPD's have less float than Egg beathers and are less suitable if your (my) knees are not in great condition?

njee20
    Free Member

Correct, although I still find Shimanos easier to get in/out of than Egg Beaters.

ransos
    Free Member

I have a set of Shimano SPDs I bought in 1993, still in perfect working order.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    igm

Time Atacs last forever* – FACT
    *well quite a long time anyway

twinklydave

SPDs have a bit less float than eggbeaters, but they do still have some movement in them – esp the xtr ones

i went back to shimano a while back after getting sick of the eggbeaters constantly falling apart on me and my knees haven't suffered as a result (they can be a bit gammy sometimes…my knees that is)

nickc

It's a tricky one for sure. I know eggbeater users that will put up with all sorts of problems (having to re-build them constantly, cleats wearing out, the pedals making grooves in the soles of their shoes) but swear it's all worth it for the way they feel. Personally I've only ever used Shimano, them seem to work for me.

sofatester
    Free Member

Why do people always think more float = healthy knees? 🙄

Do we have any evidence for either argument?

Oh, SPD's rock! 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

XTR pedals are rubbish. Stick with the eggbeaters and sell the XTR ones to me!!
    Seriously I haven't used Eggbeaters, but some of my mates ride them. From my perspective they are more needy in regards to maintenance. Shimano pedals need greasing (5-10 min job) about once or twice a year and just run and run. Whereas eggbeaters dont seem to last very well if they aren't cleaned and lubed internally or they can just rnadomly die. Usually the axle bushing is the bit to let go.
    If you look after your bike stick with eggbeaters, if you're lazier go shimano.

clubber
    Free Member

Definitely SPDs IMO – better entry/exit, no wear to your shoes and just generally better made I reckon.

Oh and I stick with the 520s – they're barely any heavier, work just as well, come with cleats, can be got for a bit over £20 and last for at least a couple of years of riding before getting a bit rattly and even then they actually work fine for years. Can't see any point in the more expensive ones (let alone the XTR ones) except for the nice logos…

clubber
    Free Member

PS good point about float. One of my friends has very dogdy knees and float makes them worse – he rides with no float on his road bike and as little as he can get on mtb pedals… Float just allows him to pedal with his feet at angles that do more damage than if they're held in line more…

g6dcs
    Free Member

I've only just converted from flats to SPD's and so have never used eggbeaters but I as I have bad knees asked at LBS and they seamed to think more float from the eggbeaters was better for bad knees. In the end I went for XT SPD's anyway as got a really good price online and I have not had any problems with them with my knees!!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I have some 7 year old 959's, still running smooth and have never serviced them or taken them apart. Tried some Candy's, they lasted 2 weeks before they fell apart. I guess there is a reason they come with a load of spares.

Bream
    Free Member

SPDs forever on the MTBs, just never go wrong, never touched my old M540s and they are now over 5 years old, just bought a new pair of XTRs for the new bike and they feel the same but cost more 😆

Have mates with egg beaters and have been tempted to change before as they look smart and are light but seeing the problems they have has steered me well clear. But, they still swear by them 😕

MrAgreeable

Why do people always think more float = healthy knees?

I think if you've got your pedalling position set up perfectly then there shouldn't be any problems. However if you're moving your saddle up and down, changing the angle of your legs as you shift your weight, and certain other things that you might do when riding off road, then having a bit of movement can help prevent stressing the wrong bits of your knees. This is based on personal experience rather than anything that purports to be scientific, mind.

0091paddy
    Free Member

I've used and raced with both, prefer Shimano.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I've ordered the SPD cleats and will report back on how it all feels.
    At least it gives me a little more knowledge and hopefully prevents unexpected catastophic failures whilst on a ride!

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Time atacs

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have SPD's and shoddy knees/badly smashed up ankles. If you set the cleats up correctly so that they hold you in your natural foot position I think you'll be fine. Work well for me.

Ti29er
    Free Member

One thing; aren't the cleats and pedals heavy?!
    The cleats especially.
    I think the whole assembly is twice the weight of the Crank Bros cleats and pedals.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'm one of the people that nickc talks about above

i'll put up with the failures for the fact that i can clip in/out whatever crap is in the pedals/on my shoes etc

if i was a racer or needed the ultimate reliability then i'd go for spds, it's easier to get power down with spds in my experience

njee20
    Free Member

The weight difference in the cleats isn't worth worrying about, but yes the pedals are heavy.

The cheapest Egg Beater Cs are about the same weight as XTR pedals (320g). Egg Beater 4tis are 165g. There's a company doing cheap ti axles on eBay for Egg Beaters, I've got some and they seem pretty good.

Edit: the trade off being they really don't last anywhere near as long! If you buy light pedals they will need looking after. Thought I should add that, I'm a very recent convert to Egg Beaters, I've always been disappointed with all the other pedal systems I've tried, and there's still time yet!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

time atacs take about 6 months to be reduced to a pile of grit, this was in the peaks though, pedals dont last very long round there, a combination of the local grinding paste and regular beetings on the rocks.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Crank Bros Egg beaters "v" Shimano SPD pedals.’ is closed to new replies.