Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cranham riders heads up
  • v666ern
    Free Member

Just thought id let you know there is a cranham running group that runs up ‘racetrack’.
    MrsV has recently joined and that’s where they ran last night, though the week before it was near cranham church so not consistent place every Monday.

Just a heads up as its not an official bike route or footpath, i just wouldn’t want to hit them after the blind crest half way down

IHN

I sometimes cycle up racetrack.

CheesybeanZ

Had a muppet in a ff start having a go at me for riding up the start to HIS down hill run – I tried to point out that its a unsanctioned trail that anyone could walk/ ride up/down and perhaps he’d confused Cranham with BPW !!

v666ern
    Free Member

I sometimes cycle up racetrack

I always cycle up racetrack – fear of Jim Bowen and laying sticks!

marksnook
    Free Member

Sorry for a change of thread slightly but I was told cranham was private woodland unless that enduro race was on. Been wanting to get up there for a ride. Where should one head?!

pushbikerider
    Free Member

@marksnook – you might find this useful: http://www.bigfootmbc.co.uk/cranham/

marksnook
    Free Member

Cheers! Done some googling but didn’t stumble across that. March 2012?! I am behind on things!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The Racetrack is a private wood always has been owned by a Lady down below Birdlip have mate her couple of times,people have been riding it for over 20years the real problem will come to a head sooner or later with the guys building the new trails of the racetrack down to the Cotswold way which is making it awkward for local groups such as the Big foot club etc the Shrine wood now has been felled to bits so is a waste of time riding anyway not that you should anyway one way or the other I think Cranham is well past its best shame really.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m riding the race so figured I could try check it out bit it’s not that easy then! It’s only down the road from me in dursley

v666ern
    Free Member

Dobbiejessmo – was told it was riders from Swindon who had been building there. Was also told they had permission too from a reliable source. Not sure how they had been told that but it seems fishy to me as that side of the wood has a regular pheasnt shoot and i rode one of the tracks that comes out nr ‘brown pow’ and the jump at the bottom is the largest in the area. I’ve been staying off of them for the same reason as you. I know it was outside the agreement area but i think its pushing it a bit, i think there are probably 8 ‘new’ tracks off that side.

marksnook – the race you speak of is it the mean and dirty enduro? if so thats on the national trust land down by the fostons ash pub and is strictly off limits til race day (there is a bridle way that runs through it though and parts of the track run over it from memory if that helps) Its the other side of the hill to racetrack.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the race, thought I could have a look before race day. I could take the dogs for a walk up there if there is a bridal way.
    Thanks man will look into it. In the mean time I might head up for a ride one evening on the other side. Anywhere best to park?

v666ern
    Free Member

Hi mark, whats your email address ill send you over some gpx’s that’ll help.

Either park at the royal george in birdlip then you can ride straight down racetrack or park at the royal william on painswick road and you can ride back up to birdlip and down the wall etc OR ride painswick / portway side from there.

marksnook
    Free Member

Ok cool, it’s mark_snook@rocketmail.com

Thanks for that. Always keen for some new stuff to ride!

russyh
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the race, thought I could have a look before race day. I could take the dogs for a walk up there if there is a bridal way.
    Thanks man will look into it. In the mean time I might head up for a ride one evening on the other side. Anywhere best to park?

It’s very much off limits out of race time. In fact if riders are caught up ther they may cancel the event. Won’t be much to look at as it’s mostly unridden, fresh cut stuff. When you race use tyres that are fast clearing as it’s always a mud fest and claggy mud!

marksnook
    Free Member

I won’t ride, just wanted to be nosey! Like to walk the dogs in new places and having a clue what to expect from the terrain would be nice. It’s my first race so not sure what to expect

russyh
    Free Member

I have done a couple, there has never been anything too technical. It is very fresh trails and you. An get caught out by the terrain. I have gone OTB twice there hitting sunk tree stumps. The first race I did it was muddy…very muddy and I just couldn’t get up enough speed for my tyres to clear. Which meant it was impossible to ride quickly. My own fairly, in correct tyre choice really.

It’s a fun event, nicely run. Perfect first enduro, you will enjoy it

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I was told they were from Swindon but as the trails have been there at least two years maybe they have been given permission??that’s not what a local bigfoot guy said a while back but who knows!!the vans and cars are always parked by the bomb hole so would be easy to stop them!

russyh
    Free Member

Dobie, think there is some confusion over the mean and dirty enduro race and Cranham woods in the posting. Mean and dirty use Ebworth which is a private wood owned by national trust and mean and dirty have permission to run events there. There are now specific trails all are cut in for the different races they run

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The OP talked about the racetrack in Cranham I know Ebworth is private but talking to G Footy while back think people were riding in there too out of race days maybe he means race course as in Ebworth not racetrack as in Cranham not sure why people need to name these trails 😀

russyh
    Free Member

Agreed it’s confusing. I know when I rode ebworth to help try and ‘mature’ some of the fresh cut trails ahead of their enduro or xc race (can’t remember which) we found a water bottle…they don’t allow you to post your ride on strava if you enter the race as the land owner gives mean and dirty special access to the land. If they catch unauthorised access then M&D may loose access. Personally I’m not sure why anyone would ride there outside of the race, there is nothing particularly good there

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cranham riders heads up’ is closed to new replies.