Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Craik Forest
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Craik Forest

Anybody had a go at running around Craik Forest?

I was up at Glentress at the weekend, loved that, didn't appreciate how close it is to my folks ~30 minutes.

Folks showed me a brochure for Craik Forest and it looks like a nice run, but it's a detour on the way home to Newcastle, whether or not to go there, Newcastleton, Kielder or somewhere else.

Got the missus with me so it has to be easy, which was the Craik green route or Kielder.

Any ideas?

fruitbat

Me and Mrs Fruitbat like Yair Hill forest. Start and finish at the car park here – 73/438348 and head in an anti-clockwise direction. Lovely scenery, although it's only fire roads and not very demanding!

Xylene
    Free Member

Mrs Q and I went off to Craik Forest. It's out in the wilds.

Mrs Q liked the first part through the trees, then grumbled on the rocky easy switch back, grumbled some more on the grassy slope, found a detour in place due to Goblins or something like that, grumbled for the best part of a mile up a fire road, after we passed a second diversion, grumbled so much that after we rounded a corner and saw that it was more fire road, I relented and turned around.

On the return we realised that the detour was crap and we should have followed the road in the opposite direction to stick to the blue run and not the red run.

Mrs Q admitted that if we hadn't missed the detour she might quite have enjoyed it, it was very picturesque.

I think from all the grumbling, that the pitter patter of feet aren't expected either.

All in, a place I would quite like to return to and have another run at.

t-p26
    Free Member

Yair is good, parts of it used on the (formerly) Selkirk Merida. Did a race there years ago, great loop.

Xylene
    Free Member

Once we get a chance to go back I'll post it here. Looks like a nice run. I will take my hyperactive nephew with me and be made to try the red run by him if I can.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Craik Forest’ is closed to new replies.