Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Craft Transalp… Anyone done it, any advice???
  • JB
    Free Member

Seriously considering this for 2011. Craft Transalp
    Would be very interested to hear from anyone that has done it. What’s it like, what advice would you have?
    Cheers
    JB

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Hi JB,

I did it it 2009 and it was a fantastic experience. Ignore the inevitable posts of “it’s all fire-road” – it’s not. There is a real mix of surfaces; lots of tarmac, lots of fire-road but also lots of stunning, challenging singletrack that many riders will resort to walking but most Brits will love.

It’s a tough 8 days and the heat will take its toll, so make sure you are as fit as you can be and stay on top of your hydration – obvious points really, but the latter one can’t be overstated. Find a drink that you can stomach and get used to sipping every few minutes. We used Nuun tablets throughout and they were excellent. Don’t carry lots of food because the feed stations are well stocked so you only really need to set off each day with enough to keep you going for the first 30-40kms.

I started the training in December and basically tried to get lots of base miles with some longer rides up till about late April before embarking on a structured plan. I stuck quite closely to the plan, but inevitably there were spells of illness, overtraining and boredom. I remember feeling very nervous the day before the race started thinking we were seriously out of our depth but once you get started it’s all fine and we were solid mid-pack.

The 2011 route may be the same as the 2009 one which becomes more technical as the days go on. Whatever the route, the scenery is stunning and some of the riding, high up on Dolomite pastures with fairytale limestone peaks crowding every horizon, will live long in the memory.

Email me if you want any more detailed info and have a look at the blog we kept. It’s mostly pish, but the 8 days of the race itself might give you a bit of a flavour.

http://stuart-dave-transalp.blogspot.com/2008/12/in-lieu-of-proper-training.html

JB
    Free Member

Cheers Stuart. We’re making the big decision this weekend I think!!! I’ll keep in touch.
    Not too worried about the distance and nutrition a few 24 solos soon sorts that out! 😀
    Thanks for your blog link… here’s a link to mine if you fancy a giggle over my adventures this year…
    JB’s Blog
    JB

stuartie_c
    Free Member

JB,

You finished the Kielder 100 50 minutes quicker than I did this year, so your base fitness is probably sorted!

The most immediate advice is to be ready for the registration procedure. Pre-register and have all the details to hand. They’ll want to know name, address, email, telephone, bike make(!), DoB, etc. for you AND your partner. Probably best if you are both in the same room at the time to avoid frantic phone calls as the seconds tick away.

Good luck!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Have this also in sights but not sure :-S

TexWade
    Free Member

I haven’t done it before but planning on doing it next year too. Managed to find a local teammate so looking like it’s in. I hear the sleeping arrangements can be a bit rough – sleeping bags in sportshall with hundreds of sleeping/farting Germans. We are going to look at hotels!!

JB
    Free Member

Hopefully my teammate is going to bring his campervan and we’re working hard on the girls to persuade them that they can drive abroad, they wont get lost and they will have a lovely time! 🙂
    Stuart, can you recall if they required a BCF membership number or a club number at registration?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 for hotels. Race account from this year.

Trans Alp Mountain Bike Stage Race 2010

stuartie_c
    Free Member

JB,

Don’t recall the need for a BCF number and I don’t have one. Probably best to be armed with one if you have it, just in case.

+1 for hotels and a support driver/team. Having someone drive ahead to find accommodation was a great help and there was never a problem with him just rocking up on the day and heading to the local tourist info.

We alternated between camping and hotels which was just about perfect, though camping kit is another layer of faffing.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I aim to go hotel. Any idea of cost?

ac282

If you don’t go for the sports halls you are missing half of the experience.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

LOL really – I have seen the blogs. No thanks to hour long ques for toilets, smell and sleepless nights with hundreds of other campers snoring their heads off. Hello on suite meal, duvet, plump pillows, comfy bed and young chamber maids!

Yours Mr likes his comfort

Sven

> If you don’t go for the sports halls you are missing half of the
    > experience.
    +1, unless you are aiming for a finish amongst the top 10 teams, hotels should not be allowed… Did it in 2000 when we slept one night in an ice skating ring (no ice there, of course, during the summer)

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think i can safely say I wont be in the top ten 😉 so hotels are in Whoop!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You’re gonna suffer during the day, so treat yourself at night.

If that makes me a Southern Jessie, then so be it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Craft Transalp… Anyone done it, any advice???’ is closed to new replies.