Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cracked shower tray – who's responsible?
  • Pook

About 2 years ago we had a big extension. All the work done through one building company who arranged sparks, plumbers and brickies etc.

In January, I noticed a crack in the shower tray. Called the builder who said he would chase.

I left it at that.

Long story short, I’ve not really seen any progress. The builder has spoken to the supplier who want to know how it was fitted. The stuff was all sourced through Graham Bathrooms.

So, who is responsible for sorting it…

a) the builder, who we paid for everything?
    b) the plumbers’ merchant who quoted/supplied the bathroom?
    c) the manufacturer who supplied the parts?

I’ve just sent pics to the manufacturer (Lakes), who apologised for the delay.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Has it cracked around the waste? This can happen with cheap shower trays.

wwaswas

d) you.

regardless of fault after 18 months (or 2 years) I’d expect them to spend so long passing the buck you end up paying for a new one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

a) That’s who your contract is with.

Pook

Has it cracked around the waste? This can happen with cheap shower trays.

No. And it’s not a cheap shower tray. Lifetime guarantee too.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I didn’t say it was. Where’s it cracked then?

the-muffin-man

a) If the builder/plumber invoiced you.

b) If the plumbers merchants invoiced you.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cracked shower tray – who’s responsible?

After two years of use?

Whoever cracked it.

northernmatt

In my experience (work in a plumbers merchant) the manufacturer will want to know that it has been installed by the letter of their instructions. If it hasn’t you’ll get nothing from them. To get to the manufacturer you will have to go through the merchant.

If it hasn’t it would be the installer who you would need to contact as it would be their problem that it hasn’t been installed in accordance with manufacturer instructions.

Pook

Fair enough – my idiot reflex kicked in, apologies.

It’s a D shaped one. Cracked on the front, just to the right of where the two sliding doors come together. It’s a weird point as there’s no impact or stress on that particular bit. On this pic below, it’s on the curved bit just beneath the glass, about three inches to the right of the where the joins close together. It started on the outside but shows inside too now. This isn’t the shower, but it’s this style. A vertical crack, about two inches long. Half an inch on the inside.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You are going to have to take it up regardless of who pays for a new one.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them what evidence they need.

You could then take pictures of the installation.

Of course if it was installed incorrectly I think your out of look

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lay off the pies.

Cougar

Ok.

a) That’s who your contract is with.

Under SOGA / CRA (depending when you actually bought it) the person you have the contract with is liable to make good. However at 18 months old it’s down to you to prove that it was faulty / installed incorrectly.

If it’s got a lifetime warranty though, you could invoke the manufacturer direct, see what they say. That might be quicker to resolve than going through the ‘chain of command’ to get there.

(AIUI)

Cougar

Of course if it was installed incorrectly I think your out of look

If it was installed incorrectly and the manufacturer confirms this, you’ve got a strong consumer rights case against the builder.

Pook

I’ve been on to manufacturer. They’re now calling the builder for more info.

To complicate things, the builder has invoiced us for an unrelated bit of work. We’ve not paid it yet. To complicate it further, he’s a good guy.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think even after 2 years you have no come back on the builder. There is a ‘reasonable’ period after work done for you to snag things and raise them with the builder, but I don’t think 2 years post work being done the builder would accept anything more – how do they know you’ve not removed and re-fitted the tray since? even if it is the same tray they fitted? or anyone else hasn’t disturbed or damaged the tray during the course of carrying out any subsequent work? If it has taken 2 years for the fault to manifest itself the builder is not going to trust that you have not abused, damaged or done anything to cause the crack to form. If it was an installation fault you would have seen something before 2 years.

I think you’re only hope of any help is against the manufacturers lifetime guarantee – which I’m sure is so vaguely worded they can quite easily wriggle out of it.

Pook

ok – so the manufacturer has said they’ll replace the tray and pay for £200 of the £480 fitting costs; and only then if photographic evidence of the removal shows it was fitted correctly. If the problem was with the tray and photos show it was fitted right, should I be pursing them for the full £480?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Sounds like a good deal to me, life’s too short and all that.

andyl
    Free Member

The £200 goodwill towards installation is better then I would normally expect.

bruneep

Surprised you never broke their arms grabbing that offer.

leffeboy

fab offer. My worry would be if it was fitted correctly. I know that for ours we had to insist that the installer ordered the parts in the instructions rather than just did it the way that they usually did

tinybits
    Free Member

If I were you, I’d be very very happy with the £200.

I would be surprised if the lifetime warranty contained any consequential loses (which this could be argued to be).

supremebean
    Free Member

All depends on whether the tray was bedded down on a mortar mix or just laid straight on to the floor, or worse, stuck down with some sort of mastic type adhesive/silicone. If no mortar under the tray then it’s the builders responsibility. The manufacturer will not cover anything if there is no proper bedding down of the tray.

I have removed many shower trays which have not been bedded down and there has been no problems, but with these modern large and thin trays it is a vital part of the install.

If it is bedded down properly, i would expect that the tray has had an impact at some point, probably somewhere between leaving the manufacturers warehouse and the moment the install was finished.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You say that Supream, but I have this week installed a 1900mm x 1000mm tray and the manufacturers instruction called for silicone to be used to stick it down, which I ignored and fully bedded it like I always do.

I guess I’d be liable if it broke, as it wasn’t fitted to instruction, although I think the instruction method would be more likely to break. I’ve also seen them fitted dry with nothing holding them down. Bonkers.

supremebean
    Free Member

You say that Supream, but I have this week installed a 1900mm x 1000mm tray and the manufacturers instruction called for silicone to be used to stick it down, which I ignored and fully bedded it like I always do.

I guess I’d be liable if it broke, as it wasn’t fitted to instruction, although I think the instruction method would be more likely to break. I’ve also seen them fitted dry with nothing holding them down. Bonkers.

Was it a resin tray? Sounds like madness to me! 🙂 I would have done as you have, the tried and tested.

I would say the Mortar bedding doesn’t stick or hold the tray down, it is to prevent movement between a possible uneven floor and the imperfections on the underside of the tray, and enables the installer to get perfectly level. Silicone seal around the tray to the wall once mortar has set and before tiles or wetwall go on. Mortar stops tray from rocking and silicon fixes in place laterally.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Wiggle. 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cracked shower tray – who's responsible?’ is closed to new replies.