Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cracked Hope hub?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all , am currently doing a little winter maintenance on the hardtail. Hub service included . Have just noticed what appears to be a crack in the rear hub . Guess I need to replace it? Sigh… Two of the pawl spring things were also broken .

Northwind

Always worth speaking to Hope, even if out of warranty. They’re not always helpful but there’s a fair chance they’ll help here

Onzadog
    Free Member

Someone will be along shortly to tell you hope are crap because stuff breaks.

Personally, I think they’re great because when stuff breaks, they replace it. Post it back to them with a polite letter and see what happens.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s just that means taking the wheel apart , removing the new bearings I’ve bought , having no hardtail for three weeks . Life is tough man. How does that even happen?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Things break. Move on.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My personal experience is more along the lines of:-
    Find it broken on Sunday – clean it, package it.
    Monday post it.
    Thursday find delivery note from courier.
    Collect Friday and fit.
    Ride Saturday/Sunday.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks bikeneil happy new year

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Definitely out of warranty but I’ll do as suggested after new year .Thanks all. Never had this with my DT 240s ! Saying that , I haven’t checked them in a while….

RustyMac

@howsyourdad1,

Hub could have snapped like that if one of the broken pawl springs has jammed up under another spring in that spot putting too much pressure from the inside out. Or it could be a minor defect that has taken years to show its hand. There is no way to tell from the pic you have posted.

It is shitty timing with you looking to build it into a new frame but is a good thing you found it cause it’d not be a good plan to ride it like that.

Best plan now is strip down the wheel and ship the hub to hope knocking the new bearings out will only add 30 mins to that so id do that too and send it back with the old beaings and see if they are able to do anything for you. If they vant help you then yoou still have some good spare bearings. If you are desperate to get back out on your bike asap see if you can pick up a replacement hub or wheel in the Christmas sales.

Speshpaul

Give them a ring, they’ll ask you to send the hub back, they will rebuild your old (new) internals in to a nice new shell and send it back to you. You just need to rebuild the wheel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Someone will be along shortly to tell you hope are crap because stuff breaks.

Personally, I think they’re great because when stuff breaks, they replace it.

Agreed.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’re west coast (the best coast) aren’t you. Not far from GBG.

I’ve had hope “warranty” stuff back in 10 days. Door to door.

They asked for postage the first time (10 or 12 year old kit) second time (8 year old kit) the guy i spoke to said it was more hassle than it was worth to even ask me for postage…….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ask on happy mtb as well. Sure one of the locals/regulars would lend you a wheel.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yep I’m on the west coast … Are you another Sweden crew member? Got a spare wheel to lend? 😀

I’ll give it a go many thanks all , has given me a little Hope snarf snarf

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Vaguely, yes.
    And most of my wheels are antique or skinny xc. Or both.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Just to resurrect this , got round to contacting hope about this and they said they won’t help as I bought the wheel second hand . Ho hum

bruneep

Did you expect them to fix FOC?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OTOH they did replace mine, they were second hand too, although I may have omitted to tell them that.

(OTOOH, I do buy a lot of hope stuff and happily recommend it to everyone so I don’t feel like I’ve conned them out of anything)

Northwind

bruneep – Member

Did you expect them to fix FOC?

The fanboys may have given that impression. I’m surprised they didn’t offer anything though, my experience was they offered replacement parts for RRP which still wasn’t much help but was something at least.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i reckon alot of it has to do with attitude of both the caller ….and the mood of the person at hope when it comes to hope warrent – How ever i also dont phone and say you must fix it ….. Ive always enquired as to the costs of replacement parts.

i certainly find a phone call much more successful than an email.

Ive had a couple of hubs replaced over the years – a wellused 1998 big un hub body which they swapped for a new one and swapped to a new design 20mm and QR kit because my original stuff wouldnt fit…. and a pro 3 Straightpull where one of the three bolt disk mounts split when i was taking the disk off….

There was never any quible.

Infact the only hub ive ever had issues with was a hub that turned out to not even be a hope hub 😀 – they humoured me on that one. Turns out that ringle made a hub that looked VERY VERY similar to a ti glide and some chode had stickered it up as a hope and flogged it on ebay to mee 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It don’t know what I was expecting really , although the one thing I didn’t expect was for the hub to crack like that in the first place . Probably won’t be buying again , new or secondhand. DT for me.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have cracked a few Hope hubs like that. They have all been within the two year warranty time apart from the last one which I broke a few weeks ago and they didn’t replace it this time. This is the SS/trails rear hub and seems to be a common problem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally, I think they’re great because when stuff breaks, they replace it.

Personally, I’ve had so much of their stuff break that I stopped using it.
    Good customer service? Yes for sure, it’s brilliant. But then it should be given the practise they get!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok that’s interesting . They asked after the two small letters inscribed under the logo. I-I I think it was .

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

DT for me.

wouldn’t bother, they fail as well. At least hope usually replace.
    Most durable hubs I’ve found are shimano and campag. But they require you to spend 20 minutes every year cleaning and adjusting which seems to be far too much effort for some.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cracked Hope hub?’ is closed to new replies.