• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DeeW.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cracked heckler – what to replace it with?
  • rocket
    Free Member

My 5 yr old heckler has died :(. No chance of assisted purchase as it was secondhand to me. So, as I deal with the grief of losing a dear and trusted servant, the pain is lessened some what as my thoughts turn toward its replacement…

I know various permutations of this question have been done to death on this forum, but indulge me in my grief. All I can think of at the mo is new style heckler or orange 5 (although I think both are a lot of money for what they are). Leaning towards the 5 as its lighter, a bit slacker / longer, and got better mud clearance. I'd put my existing fox 36 talas on the front. What have I missed? Must be 5 – 6". not too heavy, look good, ideally available frame only or even better second-hand, and not too expensive.

Whats my riding? I'm a marketing cliche I'm afraid – ALL MOUNTAIN MAN!! An example of a regular after work ride is up the cwmcarn xc trail and then messing about on the downhill track. I'm 6'2, so large / 19" required.

Suggestions?

nickegg
    Free Member

I'd go with a 5 but then i have one!

Whilst in the alps a couple of weeks back our guide had just replaced his Heckler (same as yours, also cracked!) with an Orange Alpine.

That would be a perfect match for your 36 Talas forks too. They can be biult up pretty light if you use a RP23 instead of a coil shock.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd go with a 5 or maybe an Intense tracer if you're feeling flush.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I'll second the Alpine option, I've had a good few rides on my mates one on XC and Downhill and it performed superbly. He has his air shock version just under 32lbs without any silly lightweight parts.

was
    Free Member

Get it welded and carry on 🙂

Or sell it to me and I'll weld and then ride it…

nim

Hustler – simply awesome.

michaelbowden

There was a 5 Spot on the classifieds yesterday?

erny
    Free Member

Just swopped my heckler for a 5 and I love it…

PROLINE85
    Free Member

+1 Hustler

si-wilson
    Free Member
    pinches
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius AM, if you're feeling flush.

rocket
    Free Member

Cheers all – some good stuff there. Not thought about a hustler. Will also look into that 5 spot. Alpine would be great if I was going to have 2 bikes (lighter and more hard core), but as its going to be my only one I think it might be just a tad too much bike for me – would prefer to get my build around that magical 30lb mark with standard kit. (heckler was 32 with coil shock).

Erny – hows it been on a 5 after the heckler? Anything stand out as different?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Five owner here, but I've heard too many good things about the Alpine not to give one a look if it was me.

GaryLake
    Free Member

But for what it's worth, did a Cwmcarn uplift day on my Five and more than held my own with the proper DH rigs on the day. I posted a 4:10 which given I'd never done a DH course in my life and was only on 32 Vanillas on a trail bike, isn't too bad!

Lionheart
    Free Member

What about the new Heckler!!??

jowdak
    Free Member

Go with the Heckler.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Marin Quad 140 gets my vote. Stiff, only four bearings to worry about, descents like a demon and is surprisingly pedal efficient.

DeeW
    Free Member

Guess we are all recommending our own bikes, or bikes we sell, so I'll join on both counts:

how about a Trek Remedy: my new frame: great climber and singletrack rocketship, bit compromised so far on the downs, hopefully will improve as the shocks loosen up…

Or my old bike: Orange Patriot 66: just like an Alpine but a lot cheaper!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-patriot-66-16-frame-clearout-3
    😉

Slower climber but fantastic descender: loves the rocks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cracked heckler – what to replace it with?’ is closed to new replies.