Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cracked frame! Welded but seat post wont fit! Humph
  • RubberMallet
    Free Member

Noticed cracks either side of the seat post clamp slot bit on my 456. Out of desperation I got it welded and a patch put on. Of course the seat post wont go in at all now. Will a mad session with a file make it work (I am sure I get the post in) or will the damage to the tubes be too severe/clamp not tighten or something bad!

Basically should i get a new frame! If so recomend a hard core hard tail frame that will like Pikes and a fat guy riding it!

Current options

Nuther 456 (cheep)
    Stiffee (cool)
    Prince albert (Heavy)
    etc

Cheers folks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends why it wont fit. Has the heat just distorted the tube / closed up the clamp? Bend it back out again. Weld build up inside – i’d use a reamer rather than a file of get an engineering shop to ream it

WTF
    Free Member

Get a loan of a suitable sized reamer and er… well ream it.

Hope that helps.

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Cheers folks will try and find a reamer, there is a good chance the man with the welder will have one!

RubberMallet
    Free Member

Problem is weld bumps and poss miss alignment of tube above crack! lots of work needed me thinks.

paule
    Free Member

Either run a reamer through it or get hold of a plastic shim for a USE post. Not sure if they do the plastic shim in 456 size, but the plastic should deform enough to allow the posk to go in OK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cracked frame! Welded but seat post wont fit! Humph’ is closed to new replies.