Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Cracked Cove Hummer – Silverfish claiming it's outside warranty – Advice?
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

Why are he 2012 turner 5 spots more expensive than the 2011s were here, when they’re the same price in the US?
    I won’t hold my breath for a answer to that one.

We had that cold snap. Silverfish have gas bills to pay too you know. 😉

Andy

Wrecker

He mailed silverfish and posted the reply telling him to do one.

Sounds to me that reply came from CRC – I’d be interested to know how they contacted Silverfish and what effort they put into it. As said in my case CRC were less than useless 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

Another two broken Lynskeys then?

Quell surprise!

Two and a half, my mates Ti Lynskey singlespeed 29er has a rear end that was out of whack, longer stay on one side. That has to be the worst built bike I’ve ever seen, makes an Apollo look like the creme de la creme of the bike world.
    Now sorted with a replacement frame, though he did have to fork out on a new seatpost as the size had changed

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

How many of the Litspeed made Hummers have gone???.I know people with them that are ages old.I have a 8 year old Litespeed which is sound.Whats the problem with the Lynskey?

compositepro
    Free Member

Don’t get why people keep buying ti bikes, judging by STW about 50% of them crack at some point. I’m sure they ride nicely but maybe the reynolds 953 or other such nicheness might be a better bet (they might crack too I guess!)

nah they will just complain when it looks like its rusting (which it er can do LOL)

vinnyeh

Why are he 2012 turner 5 spots more expensive than the 2011s were here, when they’re the same price in the US?
    I won’t hold my breath for a answer to that one.

A wee read of the spec on the Turner site might give you a clue.

wrecker
    Free Member

A wee read of the spec on the Turner site might give you a clue.

Did you read the post?

vinnyeh

err yes, why? Did I miss something?

ojom
    Free Member

*hijack* – bit’s arrive Vince?

vinnyeh

Thanks Mark, first thing this morning.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Wrecker – I’m sat eating my dinner after a VERY long day so I’m keeping this quick.

2012 Turners in the UK are specced with Kashima shocks as standard. In the US you have to pay an upgrade for this. As such, they are not more expensive in the UK, they are different.

Hope that clears things up?

Richie

P.s – Hi Andy. Hope that Sultans treating you well!

billyboy
    Free Member

Dear Silverfish, Hotlines and On One,

In the interests of honesty and openness with your public and customers….

HOW MANY LYNSKEY BUILT FRAMES HAVE CRACKED?

and

WHAT PERCENTAGE IS THAT OF FRAMES SOLD AND USED?

Cos I think there have been a lot…………….

Love and kisses

Bill

PS. I also thought that did sound a bit like an attempt to stop free debate…if you shut up we will help you out…type thing

billyboy
    Free Member

Lord Jingles

I’d be angry too. I hope they now start treating you decently.

legend
    Free Member

Seriously ^ you think they’re about to stick info online for all to see? Not even Evil made that kind of info public, and their fallout rate (for the Revolt) was around 99% 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

EDIT
    2011 5 spot w/rp23; $2550
    2012 5 spot w/rp23 $2550

The 2012 5-Spot frame starts at $2399 with the Fox RPL rear shock. The RP23 Kashima is available for an extra $150

So, why have we had an uplift?

wrecker
    Free Member

Hello………….Ritchie……….hello?

legend
    Free Member

Again, much like the warranty stuff, they’re under no obligation to say why their prices have changed. Don’t like it? Don’t buy it

totalshell

i dont know if wreckers heard but we spend pounds in blighty. in americky they spend yankee dollars some nasty people bet that ones better than the other so the value of each changes. and to add insult to injury that nasty mr brown foolishy whipped 2.5% off vat before he stuck his head in the sand and now that very nice man mr clegg ( whose married to a spanish piece) has added 5% to that to keep the the wolf from the door.
    of course you could say that silverfish are overpaying staff if they have new hummers but i bet thats not the case..

give richie a chance he comes on in his own time to sort sommat out and gets it in the neck.. i dont know why he bovvers..

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t like it? Don’t buy it

No need worry about that matey. If I do want one, I’ll pick it up from the US thanks.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Don’t get why people keep buying CHEAP ti bikes

There fixed that for you!

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

One of my mates found himself in the same situation – from memory I think his frame was a Hustler.

They agreed to warranty the first cracked frame, but refused to warranty the second one (even though it was within warranty).

It certainly means I won’t be buying a Cove ever.

Also recently had similar happen to me on my Mongoose – had one frame on warranty (cracked), then CSG refused to do me a second one even though it was within the warranty period.

Hence I’ll not be buying another Mongoose (or a GT or Charge – all brands managed by CSG) ever again.

druidh
    Free Member

TheDoctor – Member
    > Don’t get why people keep buying CHEAP ti bikes
    There fixed that for you!

There’s nothing wrong with either of my CHEAP Ti bikes.

Still, at least I didn’t fall for that “US Ti is best” crap.

jedi

i still ride my 2003 hummer 🙂 sandvik for the win 😀

mrmchammer
    Free Member

Bored bored bored of silverfish bashing. If you have a problem speak to them rather than moaning to the stw forum. Silverfish only get bashed because they actually respond and do something. All the crc and other distrubuters, do you ever get them replying on the forum? No, please move along and go and fix some servers or something

martinxyz
    Free Member

do you ever get them replying on the forum?

Yes.

br
    Free Member

They agreed to warranty the first cracked frame, but refused to warranty the second one (even though it was within warranty).

This is not unusual, for example; if you get a warranty replacement Sky receiver they are only covered for 3 months, and not an additional 12 months.

I damaged the drive-side drop-out on my 456Ti and it was repaired (new drive side rear triangle) by Lynskeys – no problem, and tbh I wouldn’t have had a problem of repair if it’d been a warranty job either. You don’t get a new car when you’ve warranty work, just the problem fixing.

And as for the number of Ti frame breakages, maybe its because we use our bikes more than average ❓ – and more probably, unlike cheap frames, which are probably just dumped, we want them repairing/replacing.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

it sounds to me like ti is the problem not silverfish – all you niche whores go out and buy a proper bike 🙂

anyways my dealings with silverfish and particualrly richie have been nothing short of superb, only over trivial things like lubes etc and the odd formula brake question – but ive always had truly positive experiences from him, i think hes a top bloke and will go head over heels to help you out – hence i dont think his comment was threatening in the slightest….

glad your sorted, but ultimately if thats what silverfish were told the warranty was they were only passing on the info….im sure they would have sorted you and yes maybe ranting about it on here has helped too, but as long as your sorted its all good right? dont get why the usual suspescts have to butt in with absolutly no experience of silverfish degrading the name without knowing the full facts….

anyways richie at silverfish is a genuinely nice chap so dont take it out on him 🙂

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Thanks to all of those who have defended Silverfish and myself personally.

As I’ve said on here before, we’re not monsters trying to screw every penny out of the MTB community of Britain, we’re just a bunch of riders working in the industry and passionate about bikes. I, genuinely, work hard to try and keep like minded riders happy and out on the trails so its great to hear that every now and then my efforts are appreciated so thanks again.

Wrecker – First up, apologies for not being back on the forum to answer your questions as quickly as you might’ve liked. Just to let you know I have a (more than) full time job, a wife, a ten week old son and occasionally I like to actually get out and ride my bike so my time on the forum is, with all due respect, not a priority.

However, as I’m here – I’m not totally sure what you mean with your question of an uplift?
    Last year the Turner 5 Spot was £2095 in an Ano finish. This year its £2199 in an Ano finish but including a Kashima shock and a 142mm bolt thru rear axle.

Its also a fairly substantially re-worked frame, i.e – its a 2012 version.

I’m sorry to hear that if you choose to purchase one it will be from the states rather than by supporting your local bike store but that is, of course, your choice and I’ll have to live with it.

Cheers Guys

Richie

wrecker
    Free Member

Hi Ritchie,
    Thanks for your answer, it’s nice for representatives of the companies we support to come on and none of my comments are directed at you personally or any other individual.
    I am disappointed that turners have risen in price in the UK and remained the same in the US (for the same spec) regardless of improvements. I dont know why you would be surprised that this would annoy us.
    Whether that’s down to you or if turner raised his prices into the UK, I don’t know.
    Anyone, thanks for humouring me, I suppose as legend says I can vote with my wallet. A Pivot Mach 5.7 carbon is only £2099.

brandz
    Free Member

Hi,

My 2010 Hummer was bought from CRC, early 2010. I noticed a crack where the seat tube join the top tube in November 2011. Still in the, as I understood it, 2 year warranty on workmanship and material and a replacement frame or worse case a new frame for half price, because I build the bike and not some authorised dealer. So great, part of the reason why I was willing to fork out the money for the frame was the warranty and the Cove/Lynskey reputation.

Trying to figure out why the frame broke, I stick my finger down the seat tube and realise that the shim that was inserted in the seat tube by Lynskey, during manufacture, to take the seat tube down to a 30.0 diameter does not go down the seat tube much deeper than the top third of the top tube weld. The result is a torque induced on the seat tube and top tube similar to what would happen when you exceed the minimum insert depth of your seat post. A design issue, unless the shim was sized incorrectly during manufacture.

I am in South Africa, so I arrange with CRC to send the frame to them. While speaking to CRC warranty team I get the ”send back to Lynskey for repair”, but thought this is the CRC disclaimer, should Lynskey decide to not replace for whatever reason. CRC indicates that it can take up to 6 weeks to complete the process to Lynskey and back. While packing the frame for shipment I also notice a crack on the chain stain close to the detailer hanger.

Frame sent, 6 weeks pass, nothing. I phone CRC and I get told that it is on its way back expect to wait another 2 weeks. Another 4 weeks pass and nothing. I phone CRC, they indicate that they will follow up with Silverfish. I get an apology for the delay and promise of a voucher from CRC, which I still have not received, but no indication of when my frame will be back.

I finally get a call from the courier to pay duties for the frame, about 170 GBP, and get a frame back in May 2012, 5 months after shipping. Very excited to see how they fixed it I open the box. They even replaced the Decals, because they are now green and not black, but hey I had frame protection patches on my frame, there is cable scuff marks on the frame. It is not my frame, but it looks like the same issue was fixed on this frame.

I decide to sell the thing as a rolling chase and start to assemble it, my 30.0 seat post no longer fits, it is now a 27.2 and the shim runs way deeper.

I think Cove and Lynskey needs to explain and fix this. It is not a Silverfish or CRC problem, they do not design or manufacture the frame. I think Cove/Lynskey will take a huge knock if the owe up and that is way this thread exsist.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Cracked Cove Hummer – Silverfish claiming it's outside warranty – Advice?’ is closed to new replies.