• This topic has 60 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Cracked 2012 s works Enduro frame.
  • gerwri123
    Free Member

I recently purchased a very good condition secondhand specialized s works Enduro carbon from the USA.I used it 6 times and on the last ride i had quite a hard pedal strike on the right hand side breaking the spring in the pedal,everything else seemed fine so carried on for the remaining mile or so.I went to use the bike the following week and noticed movement around the bottom bracket area when pedaling uphill,thats when i noticed the crack.just above the bottom bracket shell from the rear right around to the front approx 6 cm long.i contacted specialized uk and they said there was no chance of warranty or crash replacement as i wasnt the original owner.they didnt even want the frame back to analyse to prevent a potentially nasty accident occurring again.so i just want to give people advise,do not buy a specialized secondhand carbon frame as you will have no back up at all.

wwaswas

scottfitz
    Free Member

Pics?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

so i just want to give people advise,do not buy a specialized secondhand carbon frame as you will have no back up at all.

Correct.
    That is why stuff loses 50% of it’s value when it’s bought in a shop.
    Specialized have an exceptional reputation for warranty, they were close to sorting my 04 enduro at 6 years old but had run out of parts by then (5 year frame warranty)

jonk

Carbon can be repaired very successfully

grum
    Free Member

Which companies do offer warranty on second hand frames?

wwaswas

Nicolai?

khani
    Free Member

Turner.. From the website
    Turner will repair or replace any Turner frame, Only if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 2 year warranty applies to the frameset Only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is transferable to subsequent owners with original sales receipt.
    Turner Bikes will make replacement parts available at a minimum charge in the event of a crash or other non- warranty situation. This replacement policy is good for all frames including those who have purchased their frames new or used.
    And even when it’s out of warranty if they can help they will..

fathomer

I’ve been considering buying a second hand Santa Cruz carbon frame the last day or so and have decided not to for this very reason.

Don’t Turner do transferable warrenties as well?

Edit: To slow on the Turner bit.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Try Specialized in the US

nick1962
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

so i just want to give people advise,do not buy a specialized secondhand carbon frame as you will have no back up at all.

Correct.
    That is why stuff loses 50% of it’s value when it’s bought in a shop.
    Specialized have an exceptional reputation for warranty, they were close to sorting my 04 enduro at 6 years old but had run out of parts by then (5 year frame warranty)

And if you were buying one of those “as new” 2nd hand frames from the classifieds at only a few quid off RRP and somebody tried to point this out they would get a ban.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes, Nicolai warranty the frame for five years regardless of the owner so the warranty is transferable.

I think Liteville also do this.

crofts2007
    Free Member

+1 on the Turner warranty.
    🙂
    Purchased a 2009 DW 5spot off here, 2 years old, the seattube came away from the bottom bracket after another year, mailed Turner with pics, now the owner of a 2011 warranty replacement frame.

Speshpaul

the uk arm has no connection with this frame so thinking you might have any redress with is off the mark to be fair.

try spesh USA, but ask for their help. they might sort you with a deal.
    other wise get a carbon repair.

did you ask spesk UK about buying a replacemnet front?

khani
    Free Member

This original owner warranty crap really gets on my wick tbh, it just comes across as an excuse to dodge their obligations, presumably part of the purchase price is for the warranty so if you’ve paid for it it’s yours to pass along with the frame.
    **** business practice IMO, they should stand by their products if they believe they’re good enough…
    I’d like to see a car manufacturer try that on,
    Edit, OP try these for a repair, were recommended to me by Scott uk for a repair to a scale frame, they reckoned they were the best around

HQ Fibre Products

Tel: 01603 713972

Vale Farm Workshop, Blofield Rd, Lingwood, Norwich, Norfolk NR13 4AJ

gerwri123
    Free Member

I asked about buying a front triangle at cost but still no joy.they don’t analyse in the uk,only the USA.so maybe contacting America would be better.ill upload pics when I get the frame back,it’s being stripped at the min and I’m prob gonna send it to a company called carbonology who have a good rep,they say it will be stronger that original.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And if you were buying one of those “as new” 2nd hand frames from the classifieds at only a few quid off RRP and somebody tried to point this out they would get a ban.

Yes but we are all grown ups who can google stuff ourselves. This ain’t the classifieds it’s a crashed my bike it’s broke and it was cheap so I got no warranty whinge.

Either get it fixed or move on.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Your first post on here too.
    Why would they help you? Second hand from USA? Warranty not transferrable.
    Sorry but thats the risk you take buying secondhand frames from overseas.
    Thats quite a rock strike to break a spring in your pedal!

gerwri123
    Free Member

Tuner sound great.your right I was I my having a quick loop of cwmcarn. Surely the Enduro is made for more tuff trails than that?if they say they are the best around they should carry the warranty for 5 years of so…
    Iv heard Santa Cruz test their carbon frames against the opposition and are a lot stronger.

legend
    Free Member

2nd hand to save money
    Bought from the US to save more money (or, even better, is this a model not available in the UK?)
    You then damage your bargain frame, and expect a handout?

Surely the Enduro is made for more tuff trails than that?if they say they are the best around they should carry the warranty for 5 years of so…

The grade of trail means naff-all when you’ve cracked it off a rock. Warranty is also completely different from damage/crash replacement

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Iv heard Santa Cruz test their carbon frames against the opposition and are a lot stronger.

2 year still ORIGINAL OWNER ONLY on SC Carbon (may have gone to 5 for 2013 though) most companies will bend over backwards for the original owner but not the 2nd hand market. A fault really but just the state of play.

gerwri123
    Free Member

It was a shop in the states.It couldn’t of been that hard I didn’t come off the bike,carbon frame vs pedal spring??come on.
    I’m not asking for a free frame,wanted to buy a front tri at cost they take the frame back to analyse.and making people aware not to make the same mistake.

wwaswas

It was a shop in the states

what do they say?

Maybe they don’t want to analyze it and tellign people not to do pedal strikes isn’t going to stop it happening?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was a shop in the states.It couldn’t of been that hard I didn’t come off the bike,carbon frame vs pedal spring??come on.
    I’m not asking for a free frame,wanted to buy a front tri at cost they take the frame back to analyse.and making people aware not to make the same mistake.

Go back to the shop? Why were they selling 2nd hand frames, waht was the deal they offered?

As with all these as the thread goes on the detail emerges.

Anything else?

If they were claiming warranty etc then talk to Spec US.

wrecker
    Free Member

There’s a very good chap on here called cynic-al who does high quality carbon repairs, often with a rather inventive utilisation of cutlery.

gerwri123
    Free Member

Talked to the shop and they said the same as my local spec dealer,warranty crash rep only orig owner.it was a built up bike,paid £2800 plus taxes.
    Mikewsmith I’m not moaning here…just letting people know where they would stand in my situ.
    I’m ok with getting frame fixed so no worries.

ojom
    Free Member

i haz used cynic-al carbonoriumemporium for all my carbonz.

5 stars!

Toasty

Ibis do, if the break is a manufacturing defect. Otherwise they’ll offer a cheap crash replacement. Top company!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Most bike companies aren’t making massive amounts of money, it’s not like they’re making super normal profits. Offering to extend warranties to people other than the original owner would likely bankrupt many companies. If you don’t like it, don’t buy second hand or buy something that does have a transferable warranty.

I’m always surprised that Nicolais don’t command better second hand prices even though they do offer transferable warranties. It’s almost as if people don’t see the value of that feature (unless of course you happen to need it).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

they didnt even want the frame back to analyse to prevent a potentially nasty accident occurring again

Sorry but new member in alarmist warning thread just sounds like a moan or attempt to get something from [whatever company disputing with]

In the end good luck doing warranty from something bought new overseas.

Sorry to hear what happened.

edd

Liteville:
    On all mountain-bike frames delivered from 1. of September 2007, Liteville now gives 10 years (5+5) warranty on all material and manufacturing defects. A potentially necessary exchange for a new frame or frame component occurs free of charge within the first 5 years warranty period, in the 5 -10th year, a 50% discount on the respective current retail price is offered. For the installed rear shock, the warranty of the respective manufacturer is valid. For the Liteville 101 4X frame we give 3+7 years warranty.

The Warranty is valid for all Liteville owners, not only for the first owner, and permits DH and race usage. Like this even most of the second-hand buyers will receive a frame with original factory warranty!

Only condition: All components are to be installed and used as outlined in the owner’s manual.

In addition, Liteville will make a special offer to every Liteville-owner even for misuse or damage due to crash influences (“Bike on roof rack against garage wall”), direct through Liteville.

With Liteville products you are in good hands, even after you have bought the goods.

mrplow
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your news.

Often Specialized will still offer a deal on a replacement frame etc but their hands are tied on 2012 carbon bikes as they never actually sold them (I think?).

I got a warranty 2012 carbon enduro and they only had one other in stock at the time.

Must have been a hell of an unlucky strike or a defect as I have already given my bash ring a few massive hits on the carbon frame. Maybe the previous owner had put some serious hurt on it before which was not visable. Who knows. Good but painful lesson on buying 2nd hand. Just had a 2nd hand frame crack and die a few weeks ago so know how it feels. 🙁

AndreyE
    Free Member

Too slow with my comment on Liteville, +1 on this.

fathomer

So out of curiosity, what’s a rough cost to repair a carbon frame?

thepodge
    Free Member

What size is it? I may be interested

scottfitz
    Free Member

Sorry but new member in alarmist warning thread just sounds like a moan or attempt to get something from [whatever company disputing with]

or old members moaning about new members posts 😉

chrismac

Im not suprised. In the UK you have no legal warranty claim against the manufacturer of the product, even if it is only 1 day old and has a 10 year warranty. UK law states that the warranty the customer has is with the retailer who sold you the item. This is different to most other countries and certainly the USA.

If a shop says it has to send something back to the manufacturer before making a decision all they are actually doing is finding out if they can make a claim on the manufacturer to pass on thier liability. Legally it has no influence on your claim against the retailer. I know thats not what happens in reality but that is how the law is written

ventana_craig
    Free Member

I watched a friend pedal strike a rock, and continue his run happily. A few runs later he noticed a fairly big crack in the seat tube of his Cove Hustler. A pedal strike hard enough to break a pedal will have transferred a large point load on the frame that it was not designed to cope with. Manufactures are faced with a balance between weight and longevity, a compromise always has to be made.

Your frame has failed as the result of a crash.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Warranty or Guarantee, there’s a difference. I’d of thought that Spesh would at least do a crash replacement for you.

scar4me
    Free Member

Really sucky news there!
    Thats the biggest prob with 2nd hand market.
    Can’t really say CF is the best secondhand bike material either due to its limited lifespan.

Give me a mail (in profile) if you want to get rid of it.

Cheers
    Scar

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Cracked 2012 s works Enduro frame.’ is closed to new replies.