Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Cows, those broody feckers are dangerous.
  • richpips
    Free Member

I was out last week with my kids, crossing a big field with a dairy herd in, when a cow without calf, started running towards my daughter. I was close and whilst shouting at it charged the cow. No one injured, and other than a rush of adrenaline all round, no one hurt. Funny at the time also.

I hear tonight that a mate at a race was crossing a field and was chased down by some cows, and is now in hospital with broken ribs and other complications.

Give them cows a wide berth eh.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

City boy huh? Cows usually chase you for food, as soon as you stop and stare at them they will stop as well.

My best friend from school was a farmers son, we had a lot of good times scaring the shit out of other mates by taking them through the fields and then pretending we were running for our lives as a herd of cows stampeded across the field. Properly shitted a few guys up.

bearnecessities

City boy huh?

You couldn’t be further from the truth if you tried. I pretty much annihilated the car’s suspension just getting up his road 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Were they Fresians? (the black and white ones 😉 ) They can be quite agressive.
    Like bees in that way better ‘producers’ are often more angry.

molgrips
    Free Member

The effect is more amusing with sheep. If you stop near the gate they think you are the farmer with food so they flock towards you. They all look at you and bleat, so it’s a bit like being Jesus or Hitler or something.

I stopped at a gate once to make a phone call to my Dad telling him we were going to be late, and as I was on the phone hundreds of sheep gathered around me bleating loudly.. fairly comical phone call 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

City boy huh?

The Dexter pub near Shadwell in Leeds is named after my grandfather’s farm.

My Mum recently retired has had a different farm for 30 years.

I wouldn’t call myself a farm boy, but certainly know the score.

It was more a PSA for those who don’t know. Even if there aren’t calves in the field, a lot of them are close to dropping now. Hormonal.

Were they Fresians?

The one who chased my daughter was.

BadlyWiredDog

I feel for them. All that ruminating must get dull, why wouldn’t you cheer yourself up with a bit of pursuit action? But yes, I treat with respect, especially the shaggy ones with sharp horns that have been wandering around the campsite descent recently.

richpips
    Free Member

But yes, I treat with respect, especially the shaggy ones with sharp horns that have been wandering around the campsite descent recently.

They are clumsy fckrs, they’ve damaged most of the saplings and smaller trees on there and Elle bank. I wouldn’t challenge them, they’d hit you if trying to avoid you.

scaredypants

Always a bit uneasy when I’m riding in the new forest and have to pass through a little gang of the buggers on a road – you never know which calf belongs where. I try to go fast if I can, so they don’t have time to start wondering whether I’m a threat

revs1972
    Free Member

This was at the start of a survey. I had to put the camera down and lower the picker as the rest of the herd had come over, and I swear they were trying to tip it over.
    And they licked the grease off anything that had it on. Weirdos

spacemonkey

I like cows. Their docility makes me chuckle. Having said that, their ability to stampede uphill at the same pace as on the flat is a bit eerie.

Also, a few years ago, a cow collapsed on a bank and rolled onto my FIL’s car. That really was most odd.

CountZero

There have been two or three people killed by cattle recently, and another close-call last week locally. A woman walking her dog along a cycle path in Calne barely escaped being trampled by a herd just unloaded from a truck, a woman in Chippenham was trampled to death by cattle who went after her old dog while she was walking along a path by the river, last year, and I believe another woman and her husband were attacked recently, and he was killed, she was very seriously injured.
    They can be downright bloody lethal, and should not, under any circumstances be underestimated.
    I’d forgotten about this other local attack: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/10057010/Pensioner-trampled-to-death-by-herd-of-cows.html

spacemonkey

CountZero, there was an incident a few years ago where a lady was trampled to death having walked through the same field for something like 22 years.

JoeG
    Free Member

racefaceec90

i always respect the cow

The effect is more amusing with sheep

one time with my friend on the marlbrough downs near avebury.he had stopped to take some pics on his camera phone.was minding my own business,when i spotted a sheep looking at me.it proceeded to walk closer.i was thinking it was going to charge/headbutt me,but it walked to my bike instead and started nibbling the tyres then the spokes 😯
    had to shoo the bovine beastie away before it ate the whole bike 😉

wukfit
    Free Member

started running towards my daughter. I was close and whilst shouting at it charged the cow

Has he just called his daughter a cow?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In terms of stats I did some looking up recently, in Australia there were:
    1791-2013 217 Fatal Shark Attacks
    2010-today 170 Cyclists Killed on Austrlain Roads
    No figure on cattle injuries here
    Best I can find is a UK figure of

The figures are not clear, but maybe one person a year on average is killed by cattle in Britain, and a lot more are hurt by them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/10064225/Cow-attacks-It-looked-like-they-wanted-to-kill-him.html

Most of the stories seem to include dogs, the clear advice is to let go of the dog and let them run/be chased.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

They’re not all bad…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8089498.stm

globalti
    Free Member

Every summer the farmer puts his cows in the field behind us and when I cut the grass I chuck the clippings over the fence, which they love. Quite soon they learn the sound of the mower and when I start cutting they stampede across the field, which is a bit alarming when you look at the rubbish fence we have:

One summer a cow did succeed in breaking through; she scoffed all Mrs Gti’s plants and left deep hoof holes all over the lawn, as well as pooing on it. What a mess that was.

Sandwich

Were they Fresians

Running to get warm then?

IGMC

onehundredthidiot

My parents were in the pyrenees a few years ago having driven down the coast to get there. Stopped car to go for a days walking came back and it was wrecked. Deep scores in every panel including the roof, side mirrors off, one broken headlight, passengers window and one rear window smashed. There were three or four cars in the car park in the same state.

All down to cows licking salt of the bodywork, having whacking great horns and cowbells did the damage though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I ran in the Totley fell race last night, the course went through a field with (brown fwiw) cows in it, i would guess that 200 people running through their field had spooked them, and they were getting a bit ‘stampedey’.

i think someone got a bit stepped on, broken ribs, etc. later on i heard screaming (!) and sirens.

yes, those feckers are dangerous.

wwaswas

Running to get warm then?

They should put some Jerseys in the field too, then.

warton
    Free Member

Belted Galloways in the fields next to my mums old place in Northumberland were nasty little **** when there were calves about.

edlong
    Free Member

the bovine beastie

sheep – ovine
    cow – bovine

clubber
    Free Member

What do you call a grumpy cow?

Moody! 🙂

(with thanks to my son for that one)

pictonroad

Moooody surely?

I came round a bend on a night ride straight into the side of a cow, like hitting a hot wall, it barely registered me thank goodness. It was a tight trail and a panicking 700kg cow and soft biker would not have been a long lasting battle.

clubber
    Free Member

Well, yes but I figured that people could add as many O’s as they saw fit 🙂

Flaperon

Every summer the farmer puts his cows in the field behind us and when I cut the grass I chuck the clippings over the fence, which they love.

Please don’t feed cows or horses grass clippings – it’s not good for them. It disrupts the microbe balance in their gut and can cause colic.

richpips
    Free Member

I ran in the Totley fell race last night, the course went through a field with (brown fwiw) cows in it, i would guess that 200 people running through their field had spooked them, and they were getting a bit ‘stampedey’.

i think someone got a bit stepped on, broken ribs, etc. later on i heard screaming (!) and sirens.

yes, those feckers are dangerous.

He did, he’s in Sheffield with broken ribs and fluid on the lung, hence the OP.

bigjim

Never get between a mother and her calf and never start running from a herd, they will just run after you and aren’t very good at stopping. Beef cattle are more dangerous than dairy as they aren’t as used to being around humans.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

They all look at you and bleat, so it’s a bit like being Jesus or Hitler or something.

Arguably the best thing you’ve ever posted, mol old boy. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Out of the way, dopey!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Gqjf6E_Cc[/video]

racefaceec90

sheep – ovine
    cow – bovine

oops 😳

funkrodent

clubber – Member
    What do you call a grumpy cow?

Moody!

(with thanks to my son for that one)

Good work. And in that spirit, what do cows have for breakfast?

Moosli!

(with thanks to rodent junior for that also!)

johndoh
    Free Member

Why don’t bulls fall over when it’s windy?

Because ‘Weebles wobble but we don’t fall down’.

Saccades
    Free Member

[/quote]Flaperon – Member
    Every summer the farmer puts his cows in the field behind us and when I cut the grass I chuck the clippings over the fence, which they love.
    Please don’t feed cows or horses grass clippings – it’s not good for them. It disrupts the microbe balance in their gut and can cause colic. [/quote]

Wait, what?

wwaswas

They’re damn cruel sometimes;

toby1

Do they pull the roots up when they eat too then? Can’t see how otherwise eating a cut version of the same food would have any effect?

wwaswas

I think it’s the volume of cut grass they can eat in a short space of time that might be the issue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Cows, those broody feckers are dangerous.’ is closed to new replies.