Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Covert v Tracer2
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Both bikes get great reviews and have great spec, which should be my 2012 bike. Leaning towards Tracer2, any thoughts from anyone who owns one of the two or tested any of them.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both. IMHO, the tracer has better climbing manners, the covert wins on the descents.
    Both very nice bikes so it depends on your preference.
    I really really liked the tracer 2 though. I’d kill for a cabbie on one of the new carbines.

honourablegeorge

I was surprised by the weights of both frames. Both more than 7.5lbs, closing on 8.

SC Nomad is under 7 – that’s a longer travel bike than the Covert, although admittedly a more expensive one. Tracer hasn’t got that excuse.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Mk1 Tracer was lighter, but they all broke, so Intense had to add some bulk. They are both pretty hefty though.

Rockdodger
    Free Member

I swapped a Spicy for the Tracer 2 and find it to be a very good bike for my style of riding which is anything my local trails in Calderdale throw up.Overall it feels more sure footed and with less flex than the spicy.Trying to fit a chain device is a nightmare on the Tracer 2.

honourablegeorge

Flex on a Spicy?

mrh86

Ordered my tracer 2 last week. Hoping to get it mid next week. will post some pics and a what it’s like as soon as I can!

AndyA
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever considered the spicy to be anywhere near flexy.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Mrh86> I expect you to be completely even handed & admit immediately if you have purchased a dog & are regretting it. I know I would.

Rob_514
    Free Member

Ive got a covert. Gone over to it after cracking a zesty. Its amazing on the downs. Doesnt climb as well as the zesty (surprise surprise) but still climbs very well. Mine weighs in at 26bl incredibly so pretty damn light for something that goes so well when its pointed downhill. it feels soo planted on the trail. I feel I can brake so much later than I could on the zesty.

Heres a little piccy….

fudge9202
    Free Member

Rob_514 beautiful pic to get that to 26lbs is awesome, spec list please would like some ideas as I too would like to keep the weight down.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Silly narrow XC rims on a hard hitting AM bike will help, but 26lbs?

LabMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah – 26lbs? – I have a full XTR tracer (36’s, CK hubs, 819 rims – RQ tyre on front, race king on rear) and that is pushing 30lbs – the covert frame is not half the weight of a racer frame.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Don’t think so 🙂

Mugboo

We need some some STW ‘official’ scales

toys19
    Free Member

I think 26lbs is massively optimistic too. Mine is 35. Doesnt stop it from being the best bike I have ever owned.

Rob_514
    Free Member

Its been weighed on some feedback scales. It came in at somewhere around 26.8bls. Spec’s are fox float rlc fit 36 160, thompson stem & post, nukeproof bars, formula oro 180/160 brakes, hope pro2’s on 719’s, race king folding rubber, xt cranks, single e13 ring, xtr shifter, xtr shadow plus rear mech, xtr 10 speed cassette & xt spd pedals.

To be honest I wasnt too bothered about the weight of it, I was just chuffed to have it in under 30bls. Trying to get it down to ride abit like the zesty. Tis an awesome bike. Hard getting used to wide 760 bars!!!

Hope you find a rig that fits for what you want it for.

ichabodcrane
    Free Member

26lbs loler!

Go for the Tracer 2 you will love it 😀

AndyA
    Free Member

Mugboo – Member
    We need some some STW ‘official’ scales

Damn right, I’m amazed at some of the weights people claim on here.

honourablegeorge

being charitable – 4lbs for the wheelset, 7.75lbs for the frame, 5 lbs for the 36s, 2 lbs fr the crank and BB, 3lbs for the tyres.

It might be 26 lbs if the brakes, discs, bars, stem, grips, shifters, derailleurs, cassette, cables, saddle, seatpost, pedals and chain are only 4lbs. *cough*

ashfanman
    Free Member

That Covert is lovely, but no way is it 26lbs. My Bandit, which is a significantly lighter frame, is over 28lbs and that’s with carbon-crowned Rev World Cup forks. Not that it matters – if you like how it rides then who cares how much it weighs! 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

To be honest would be happy to get either bikes at around 30lbs but is i just me or does the covert look to have cleaner lines, would like some more feedback as to how each rides, by the way more pics would be nice.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My Kona Stinky weighs 25lb

ashfanman
    Free Member

My Kona Stinky frame weighs 25lb

😆

honourablegeorge

Dunno about clean lines on the Covert, I’m not a fan of the big plate welded between top and down tubes.

Tracer’s a cleaner looking bike… suspect it would break a lot sooner than a Covert though.

I demoed a Covert a while back, found it comfortable and right instantly. Was hitting drops within five minutes of sitting on it. It’s that sort of bike.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

ashfanman- That’s better 😆

fudge9202
    Free Member

honourablegeorge how did it climb and did the rear feel planted?

ashfanman
    Free Member

I do really fancy a go on a Stinky someday though – just to see if they’re as much fun as everyone says. That and a Pitch.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Well, you can have a go on my imaginary 25lb one if you like. 😀

When you say fun do you mean kills any sort of fun on most DH tracks due to it weighing a tonne (escept mine)and being completely overkill?

ashfanman
    Free Member

Well, you can have a go on my imaginary 25lb one if you like

Thanks, but I don’t think I’d get very far without you fitting the missing 15lbs of parts… 😀

Stevelol
    Free Member

Ride them both and decide.

Or get the Intense if you like playing russian roulette.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

[imaginary]ashfanman- Nice one! You sent that road gap huge, with a suicide no hander too! [/imaginary]

tops5
    Free Member

Hee’s mine

Definitley more bike than needed for my riding – still love it tho. Pedals efficiently but the weight can be felt on climbs, don’t know how much it weighs (not particularly bling spec) think I will weigh it late out of interest

honourablegeorge

fudge9202 – Member
    honourablegeorge how did it climb and did the rear feel planted?

I didn’t have a huge amount of time on it, and didn’t do any massive climbs, but it went up everything pretty well – was my first experience of 1×9 and I didn’t miss the granny at all. I’d ask someone who owns one though, all I had was that demo ride.

alfabus
    Free Member

26 lbs 😆

this is mine – weighs in at 32.8 lbs

Dave

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have a covert. There is no way its 26lb but for me its not the kind of bike you weight (I’ve never weighed any), its a bike I want to be able to hammer downhill, jump and then climb to the top without too much extra pain.

Agree that its very easy to get on with, angles seem well sorted and the backup from Transition is excellent.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I have an intense and a transition. Niether of the model you want opinions about, however its not gonna stop me telling you that they are both 25lb (or less) when the wheels, seat post and drive chain are removed.

& I’m sure whichever you buy, you will be very happy with. At least you won’t be on here telling everyone what a barge it is and how you never which you’d stumped up the cash for it.
    Can you imagine how stupid you’d look if you made a mistake and admitted to it!

fudge9202
    Free Member

alfabus cool colour mate was figuring around that sort of weight just could lose a couple of pounds bodyweight I suppose!!

Rob_514
    Free Member

Might have been 28.6bls. Got the numbers the wrong way around I suspect. Sorry… it was only weighed quickly out of curiosity. So yeaaa discount that weight from my post. Whatever it still rides very very well (when I dont feel over biked for the majority of stuff I ride). Climbs very well for a big 160 bike & descends like a mini DH rig. Horse’s for courses I guess. Which ever you go for you’ll love it (just you might love the transition alittle more…).

Just out of interest Fudge are you going to buy a frame or full bike?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Frame, unfortunately not got an endless supply to a money tree! I have some parts already, am wheels and forks will probably run 2 x 10 with magura brakes answer dj stem and a set of answer protaper carbon bars that I have. Will maybe try running tubeless? Also the ubiquitous dropper post with a ti railed sdg saddle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Covert v Tracer2’ is closed to new replies.