Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cove Stiffee – fork travel? Gratuitous excuse for pics ;)
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Recently built up Stiffee No 3 (welcome to the Hotel Califormia 😳 ) with an ancient pair of Marzocchi 130mm DJs up front (pretty tall axle to crown, probably comparable to more modern 140s). Feels like it could barrel through anything but climbs like a dog 😕 . . .

. . . very reminiscent of my first Stiffee build with 130mm Drop Offs.

Stiffee No 2 started life with 650b wheels crammed in and 650b short-travel forks . . .

. . . but soon swapped to 120mm Recons and ‘proper sized’ wheels 😈

I guess I should be looking at ditching the old DJs as they weigh as much as a small car but they’re classic forks and I kinda like them. Currently running pretty tall DMR Wingbars so hoping that a pair of low risers will make it more climb-friendly.

What are you running?

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Man those pics make me realise how much I loved my Stiffee in the Pixie blue when I had it 🙁

I used to run mine with 140mm RS Pike 454’s and a Race Face AM bar so was reasonably low rise and it climbed really well so not sure why you’re finding it a bit of a dog.

Both good looking bikes though!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Quality, those old DJ forks were classics. I reckon you might be able to adjust the travel internally. Also, check the underside of the forks crown, they had a habit of cracking across the fedner mount holes.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Cheers both – I guess the axle to crown measurement would be much the same on a pair of Pikes as the current DJs so a u-turn version would definitely be worth considering. I had heard stories of older DJ forks cracking but they won’t have a hard life with me (although I have no idea of their history and they are nearly 12 years old 😯 ) – there do seem to be a few threads about re travel reduction so I’ll take a look or maybe get in touch with Windwave.

More pics needed though . . . please!

kayak23

What’s with the scarf thing on the top tube?

timber

I’ve got a slightly older Cover Stiffee, and run some equally vintage RS Pike Team with U-turn. Best thing for it, can keep the nose down heading up hill and ride like a loon going down and has 20mm Maxle.

mamadirt
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member

What’s with the scarf thing on the top tube?

I work in a catholic school. The Hooker and STD wear one too 😆

baldman
    Free Member

+1 Timbers suggestion

I’ve got Rev u-turn dual airs on mine (150-120mm) with 20mm maxle. I mainly run them at 150mm though, but do drop them if somewhere with a lot of climbing.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Quick update: Ditched the 12mm worth of spacers from beneath the stem and removed one of the coil springs . . . I now have sag (woohoo! 😆 ) and a lower front end. It actually goes uphill now and rides like a hardtail and not a rigid bike with half an inch of travel on the downs . . . result! 😛

Suggsey
    Free Member

My favourite bike of my fleet too…mines last of the RAD framed available in 26″ wheels….purple of course….can’t beat a large purple Stiffee 😆 fitted with some 2009 revs dual air u-turns 100mm-140mm 20mm through axle, but tend to leave them permantly in full travel mode.
    It out climbs the 456 fitted with the same forks and out descends it too….if I had to have one bike, it would be this.

Suggsey
    Free Member
    mamadirt
    Free Member

Love it Suggsey! 😛

Suggsey
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂

-lucas-
    Free Member

Here’s mine fitted currently with 140 air revs. Only ridden it once so far since building it but going to take it to bpw tomorrow 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Looking good! Enjoy BPW!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cove Stiffee – fork travel? Gratuitous excuse for pics ;)’ is closed to new replies.